Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the last several months, iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, and 6s Plus users have been dealing with a problem that causes their devices to unexpectedly shut down, an issue that Apple now says it has successfully addressed in the latest iOS 10.2.1 update, released to the public on January 23.

In a statement provided to TechCrunch, Apple says that the iOS 10.2.1 update has resulted in an 80 percent reduction of unexpected shutdowns on the iPhone 6s and a 70 percent reduction of unexpected shutdowns on the iPhone 6.

iphone-6s-colors-800x586.jpg
With iOS 10.2.1, Apple made improvements to reduce occurrences of unexpected shutdowns that a small number of users were experiencing with their iPhone. iOS 10.2.1 already has over 50% of active iOS devices upgraded and the diagnostic data we've received from upgraders shows that for this small percentage of users experiencing the issue, we're seeing a more than 80% reduction in iPhone 6s and over 70% reduction on iPhone 6 of devices unexpectedly shutting down.

We also added the ability for the phone to restart without needing to connect to power, if a user still encounters an unexpected shutdown. It is important to note that these unexpected shutdowns are not a safety issue, but we understand it can be an inconvenience and wanted to fix the issue as quickly as possible. If a customer has any issues with their device they can contact AppleCare.
According to Apple, the shutdown issue that is solved by the iOS 10.2.1 update is separate from the problem that caused it to recall a select number of iPhone 6s devices. In that case, Apple said some batteries had been overexposed to "controlled ambient air" during the manufacturing process, resulting in the need for a physical battery replacement.

That there are multiple issues causing iPhone shutdowns explains why many iPhone 6 users also complained of problems after the iPhone 6s recall, and why the iPhone 6s issue seemed more widespread than Apple suggested in the recall program. There were even rumors that Apple was planning an iPhone 6 battery exchange program, something Apple quickly refuted.

The shutdowns solved by iOS 10.2.1 are reportedly caused by uneven power delivery from older batteries, which can trigger an emergency shutdown on an iPhone. Apple has tweaked its power management system to reduce shutdowns, but some users may occasionally still have problems, so Apple has also created a way to auto-restart without needing to connect to power. The auto-restart feature is available on the iPhone 6 and 6s in iOS 10.2.1 and will be added to the iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus in iOS 10.3.

A new battery info screen will also be added to iOS 10.2.1 in the next few days, letting customers who need to replace their battery know that it's not functioning as expected. The warning, which will be in the Battery section of the Settings app, will only be displayed to customers who need new batteries.

When iOS 10.2.1 was released, Apple did not include a mention of a fix for the iPhone 6 and 6s in its release notes, giving it time to quietly collect data on the shutdown issue before making an official announcement. Customers who are experiencing shutdowns on their iPhone 6 or 6s devices should upgrade to iOS 10.2.1 if they have not done so already.

Update: Apple has posted a support document outlining the new battery notice that's available in the Settings app. It will only show up if a battery needs servicing.

Article Link: Apple Says iOS 10.2.1 Update Has Significantly Reduced Unexpected iPhone 6 and 6s Shutdowns [Updated]

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
6: September 19, 2014 ( 2 years, 5 months, 4 days until Shutdown alleged FIX) + NO Touch Disease recall
6s: September 25, 2015 (1 year, 5 months, 8 days until Shutdown alleged FIX)

Alleged Shutdown FIX February 23, 2017

Glad they were so fast at tracking down this major issue affecting a majority of their phones /s
# MakeAplBatteriesSomewhatDecentAgainFix

Last edited:
Reactions: IG88

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
6: September 19, 2014 ( 2 years, 5 months, 4 days until Shutdown alleged FIX) + NO Touch Disease recall

Glad they were so fast at tracking down this major issue affecting a majority of their phones /s

except it didn't effect the majority of their phone. It didn't affect mine and I got the 6s.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Now, when will they address the random restarts that happen on the iPhone 7 Plus almost on a daily basis? That's also annoying and inconvenient as hell.

Haven't had random restart issues since 10.0. Have you tried a factory reset/setup as new? If you have, then it's time to take advantage of that warranty because that's not normal.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am still waiting for the fix to my iPad Mini that I regrettably upgraded to iOS 10.

It runs like a turd, especially in safari. It is so laggy when scrolling and typing.

No way in hell am I upgrading my iPhone 6s Plus to iOS 10.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007

Actually they did address the touch disease: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/
Granted, it's a repair program and not a recall, which is kind of sketchy.

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Meanwhile can they also fix the wifi menu ? I ALWAYS have to go their TWICE to change a network or to disable/enable it.

Reactions: hagar

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I am still waiting for the fix to my iPad Mini that I regrettably upgraded to iOS 10.

It runs like a turd, especially in safari. It is so laggy when scrolling and typing.

No way in hell am I upgrading my iPhone 6s Plus to iOS 10.

My 6 plus which is older than yours runs like a champ on the latest software.

Reactions: Ted13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.