Apple Universal Dock w/ S Video

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jrcsh6, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

Sorry if this is a repost

Does anyone have the Apple Universal Dock with S video on the back? I read something confusing about how it doesn't take the current adapters since they have the little tabs on them. Is this true? Does it take "current" adapters, iPhone 4, iPod Classic etc.?
    I figured "Universal Dock" would be universal but for some reason something I read implied that it's only old dock adapter universal? hah

2. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

anyone?
    surely someone has the "old universal dock" and some new ipod/iphones

3. Dtown213 macrumors newbie

I have the old S-Video dock with the round IR sensor on the front, along with one of the newer universal docks. Both are identical in terms of where the adapters go, I can sit and swap out both sets of adapters that come with each dock with no problem. The only thing you have to watch out for is the connectors are slightly different and if you plug an iPhone 4 or even a 3G into the old dock you will get a warning that it's not compatible. That might be where the problem is. I only use the older dock to connect my old 80gig iPod video to my home theater system, the iPhone goes in the new one, so I've never checked to see if it will still charge and sync with the old dock.

4. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

hmm
    even running both on usb? i know firewire support is out on anything past the first iphone. i assume you've tried things to make it work?
    i got on the apple store site and chatted with a lady who promissed me the old s video dock would work... i didn't feel comfy but she promised hah.

5. alee macrumors 6502

I'm using the older S-video dock to charge my iPhone 4 right now. No issues, other than the warning about the incompatible accessory.

I have the swappable piece removed so that I can dock charge my phone with the Incipio Feather case.

6. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

do the current adapters work alright? fitting into the dock? the little tabs on the adapter, i read they don't fit?

7. alee macrumors 6502

I didn't buy the current adapters. I'm not using any of them since I am using a bumper on one iPhone 4 and I'm using an Incipio Feather on the other one.

8. nachos4twoo macrumors member

I can not get my iphone to connect to my universal s-video apple dock with a bumper on!!! One I take it off it charges. Anyone else with this issue, I know its the issue with the new docks and the 2g docks

9. alee macrumors 6502

Are you using any sleeves in it? It won't work with the sleeves.

10. Dtown213 macrumors newbie

Just don't use an adapter. I just use a rolled up pocket size microfiber cloth to support the phone at the back so it fits more snugly. Not perfect, but it works.