Apple Unveils $349 HomePod Smart Speaker to be Available in December

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced its plans to "reinvent home music" with the unveiling of its newest product, HomePod, a wireless speaker powered by Apple's A8 chip with Siri integration that's just under 7 inches tall.

[​IMG]

HomePod is a combination of high quality music playback speakers and smart speaker systems that are on the market today. The HomePod can intelligently detect the space it is in with "spatial awareness," which the company said provides better quality audio playback than its competitors.

HomePod has an upward-facing woofer and an array of seven beam-forming tweeters. It has a six-microphone array that can detect commands even when music is playing loudly. When there are two HomePods in a room, they will automatically detect each other and optimize music playback complementarily. Setting up a new HomePod works similarly to AirPods set up--simply holding an iPhone near a HomePod will pair it.

HomePod automatically works with an Apple Music subscription and can play back playlists, radio stations, and more content found within Apple Music. Siri commands will let users direct the HomePod to play music, add songs to playlists, and even answer music trivia questions.

Siri will also act as a home assistant and include support for News, Messages, Podcasts, Stocks, Weather, Reminders, alarms, timers, sports and traffic. HomePod will also be a HomeKit hub and let users control lights, blinds, locks, and other accessories by voice, even when users are away from home.

The HomePod will launch in December for $349 and will be available in white and space gray in the US, UK, and Australia to start.

Article Link: Apple Unveils $349 HomePod Smart Speaker to be Available in December

2. Wackery macrumors 6502a

lame, i guess they have a lot of those A8 chips sitting around

3. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

There smoking something at Apple. This is a miss. Too high price for what you get. Disappointing.

4. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

6. DualShock macrumors 6502

OMG this thing is so behind the Amazon Echo Show, and it comes out in December!

They must have **** their pants when Amazon announced the Echo Show, that has a screen, when they knew this was all they had for WWDC.

7. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

8. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

The Mac Pro trash can design repurposed as a smart speaker is a funny analogy to the state of the Mac Pro.

9. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

Yes yes but will it make Justin Bieber any more tolerable?

10. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Sound quality aside, isn't the Echo a better device?

11. tvguru macrumors 6502

Wow, that's some price. I'm sure it hears and sounds great, but hard to make up ground on the competition at that price point.

12. sza macrumors 6502

13. lwatson99 macrumors newbie

Same - I was telling myself $200 was the highest and would compete strongly with Alexa. But this is wayyy to expensive for a 1st generation product, especially as Siri is still half broken.

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

15. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I'm sure it sounds great but I think that Amazon and Google have the market in this space until Apple gets Siri working better and they release a lower price option.

16. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Remember the Apple HiFi everybody?

Yeah, that's this, but now you can talk to it, which makes you look like a big doofus

17. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Couldn't they have chosen a more ugly name?

18. hinesmj macrumors 6502

$350?!?! For the same thing my echo dot does for $50? HAHA Apple get real. I'm obviously here cuz I like their stuff but c'mon. This is getting absurd. Breakthrough? Absolutely nothing about this thing is breakthrough. I really wanted this to be awesome and I just have such a blah taste in my mouth for it. There is literally nothing new or exciting about this thing. And the name. Good lord that name is absolutely horrific!!

19. musika macrumors 65816

musika

20. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

How does "Hey Siri" work when I have my iPhone in the room with HomePod? Will it only recognize my voice?

21. BradWI macrumors member

Does it support any non-Apple music services? If not, Sonos has nothing to worry about.

22. deaddog macrumors member

I'm with everyone else. I was anxiously awaiting this but at $350,no way. $199 and I would have purchased.

23. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

24. jdclifford macrumors 6502

These guys have been on autoplay for 3 yrs now. This event was total BS.

25. lwatson99 macrumors newbie

Missed an opportunity. Releasing too late, at too high a price point for it to reach most homes.
    Plus the UK will probably get it at £349, which very few people (in the grand scheme of things) can justify on a glorified speaker.
    I have an airplay speaker, cost me £50 on eBay and works a dream. 7x that much just no.