Apple Unveils 'AirPower' Multi-Device Wireless Charging Accessory Coming Next Year

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Ridicolous
    No one is forcing you to use one over the other.
    Use what best suits your situation at the time.

2. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

But they haven't taken that option away, you can still do that.

3. uwdude macrumors 6502a

This seems like it's on purpose, just like the airpods were released way later, to boost sales in later quarters. I think I'm seeing a trend here. There's no real reason they couldn't have had the Airpower ready.

4. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

5. Nozuka macrumors 68020

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The wire is right there, though. Just unplug it from the mat and put it in your phone. Plug it back into the mat and lay your phone down when you're done. Is that too inconvenient or something?

7. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

It's frustrating that Apple hasn't cracked the over-the-air "wireless" charging. I don't buy it either. A wire close to my phone but not plugged into it is not wireless. Although it makes sense that it had to go this way - we would've seen the tech somewhere else before the iPhone.
    I still feel they went the right route with calling the Apple Watch magnetic charging. If they didn't call Qi wireless charging it would be a totally different discussion, but that's how it's branded.

8. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

I came up with the name "AirPower" a long time ago here on MR and thought that would be the name of true ranged wireless charging via a transmitter, given the patent Apple had already filed. Well, maybe Apple will call that "Super AirPower"?

9. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Wireless charging = waste of energy = anti-ecological. Not good.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

This is the product I am most excited about. Solved the bags of charges and cords problem. Easier on travel. Easier to remember to charge at home.

This looks awesome. Can't wait.

11. 0007776 Suspended

It is mostly a gimmick now, but it will help lead to better wireless charging in the future once a way is figured out to make it efficient.

12. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

If you think this is dumb, you should look at the stupid number of cables next to my bed. It's quite a bit of a pain to match and plug in all of them in the dark.

And I don't plug in my phone at my desk, because I don't want to unplug and re-plug it every time I move around. With this, it will basically stay at 100% charged all day. No more reason to charge it while holding ...

13. Pete011, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Pete011 macrumors newbie

To understand AirPower, think about AirDrop, AirPlay, AirPrint, AirPods, etc etc.

They all work over the air. So too, will AirPower. Apple's just easing you into it with the mat.

14. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

you mean you didn’t already fry your credit cards by buying the new iPhone?

15. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    The difference is, Apple doesn't just say they're checking something out.

Instead, Apple is infamous for publicly dissing any feature they don't have (yet) that others do. Unfortunately, many people repeat this obvious marketing drivel as if it were gospel... right up until Apple flips their stance.

16. Pete011 macrumors newbie

The thing is, I don't think they flipped their stance. Apple will use Radio Frequency technology in their AirPower ecosystem. They came out with a mat first, because - well, they're Apple. Slow and steady... No product recalls, no real mistakes... but no real "wows" anymore. Only a gradual... "ahaaa", as everyone starts to realize that AirPower is Wireless Power Transmission at a distance.

17. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Read that quote again. "it's not clear..." That's not a no. That's a statement that they weren't sure. They didn't know if it'd be the best option. So they explored it and when 5 years later the industry failed to advance wireless charging, they decided that the current option was the best option at the time and went with it.

They did not diss it. They simply said they weren't sure if it was the best option. Saying you're not sure about something isn't a diss by any stretch of the imagination.

18. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

So if I say, "It's not clear that you know what you're talking about", I'm not in any way disparaging you? :D

19. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

It's not clear that you have a grasp of language or how phrasing we use conveys various messages.

20. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

GRIN. We must do lunch sometime.

21. BSben macrumors 65816

Wireless charging is pretty pointless, as the device has to sit on it, I can use my wired phone whilst charging, it also makes little sense for the Nightstand mode on Apple Watch. This attempt was a bit desperate.

22. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

You aren't required to use it. If you don't find it useful, don't use it. Many of us do find it useful to simply set our phone in the center console in our vehicles without the need for the added action of plugging it in. It's also nice to simply set it on you coffee table without the need to take the time to plug it in and then unplug when we want to take off. It cuts an additional action out of our lives.

Yes, you can use your phone while charging with the cable and that's still possible with the new iPhone. But for those that don't need to use their phone while charging, it makes life easier. Throw it on the coffee table and it charges while you aren't using it. Pick it up to check a text and it doesn't but who cares as you don't likely NEED the power but charging is helpful to keep things topped off. Set it back down on the table and you're charging again.

I don't see the harm in having this added ability.

23. Uobio macrumors newbie

Uobio

I wonder if the new iPhones would charge wirelessly on the Apple Watch magnetic stand.

24. subjonas macrumors 68000

While I welcome the benefit of inductive charging, AirPower is not an appropriate name. Not much air between the pad and the devices...maybe a few molecules.

You can still use it and charge it at the same time because 1) the lightning port is still there, and 2) some company could make a corded charger with a magnetic disc like the Apple Watch charger which would allow you to charge while holding. But now we have the added benefit of being able to plop our devices down in various places (different places around the home, work, car) and not have to fiddle plugging in/unplugging with two hands every time. I know for myself, this would especially save me a bit of hassle every time I get in and out of my car, since I always keep my phone plugged in while driving. Maybe gimmick to you, but very useful for me. As useful as actual wireless charging? No. But still useful.

25. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

So what are we thinking for a price range? $129? $159? I mean the Apple Watch one they sell is freaking $79!!! This has to be &129-199 right?