Apple Unveils watchOS 6 With Dedicated App Store, New Apple Watch Faces and Native Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a new version of watchOS coming this fall that will introduce several new watch faces, stock apps, and a new App Store dedicated to Apple Watch.

During its WWDC event, Apple showed off several new faces, including Modular Compact, Solar Dial, California, Gradient and Numerals faces.

The new watch faces introduce a new feature called Taptic Chimes that deliver a silent vibration on your wrist, and an hourly chime when audio is turned on.

The new apps include wrist-based versions of Audiobooks, Voice Memos, and Calculator, while the new App Store will allow users to purchase and download apps directly to their watch, bypassing iPhone.

Users can install third-party apps using the dedicated Apple Watch app store, search for apps using Siri, dictation or Scribble, and view app product pages designed for the watch screen right from the wrist. Developers can also build Apple Watch-only apps, created to work independently on Apple Watch without an iOS app.

Siri search queries will also display webpage results in full on Apple Watch.

In addition, watchOS 6 brings several new health and fitness features for Apple Watch, including a menstrual cycle tracking app, a Noise app, and a new Trends tab for the Activity tracking app.

Article Link: Apple Unveils watchOS 6 With Dedicated App Store, New Apple Watch Faces and Native Apps

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I doubt my series 1 will support the new update (running great on OS 5 though), or at the very least the App Store feature probably won’t be available for it

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Love the new Watch Faces and the noise detection is something I’ve wanted for a while. Never thought I’d see such an niche thing come to the Watch.

Reactions: tridley68

Bin Cook

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2018
Happy to have the calc app. Always useful to have another device with a calculator on it.

Mitsjke

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2015
I wonder how they'll look on older watches. And what faces will be 'exclusive' for the series 4...

branca

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015

Apple today announced a new version of watchOS that brings several new watch faces, apps, and a new App Store dedicated to Apple Watch.

During its WWDC event, Apple showed off several new faces, including Modular Compact, Solar Dial, California, Gradient and Numerals faces.

The new watch faces introduce a new feature called Taptic Chimes that deliver a silent vibration on your wrist, and an hourly chime when audio is turned on.

The new apps include wrist-based versions of Audiobooks, Voice Memos, and Calculator, while the new App Store will allow users to purchase and download apps directly to their watch, bypassing iPhone.

Users can install third-party apps using the dedicated Apple Watch app store, search for apps using Siri, dictation or Scribble, and view app product pages designed for the watch screen right from the wrist. Developers can also build Apple Watch-only apps, created to work independently on Apple Watch without an iOS app.

Siri search queries will also display webpage results in full on Apple Watch.

In addition, watchOS 6 brings several new health and fitness features for Apple Watch, including a menstrual cycle tracking app, a Noise app, and a new Trends tab for the Activity tracking app.

Article Link: Apple Unveils WatchOS 6 With Dedicated App Store, New Apple Watch Faces and Native Apps
[doublepost=1559592657][/doublepost]As a smartwatch I expect it to be a watch and reading time without contortionist moves. Always on face is the solution but I am afraid I am the only one who wants this feature.

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
lol is that a joke? Not even AoD...
You barely get a day of use without AOD, and really that's with theatre mode on. With AOD we would probably get 2-3 hours of use! I don't disagree, I would love to have AOD, but it ain't going to happen this round unless AW5 has a significant leap in battery capacity/technology.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This moves things along for eventual Apple Watch independence.

The App Store is the obvious one but the Voice Memo app helps with that goal as well. I already use my Watch quite a bit with my iPhone left at home but almost immediately miss one of the most basic features that having a smartphone with you at all times you take for granted: taking notes, saving thoughts for later use.

With a Watch, you could dictate something into a notes app but dictation is far from accurate and too much work. Having a Voice Memo is more natural: “hey Siri, record a note”. And now you have your voice notes neatly saved on your iPhone, iPad and Mac back at home.

Reactions: andrewr2123

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
well... i like it and its mostly what i expected, a foundation building year after the big redesign of last year. the watch faces are good, further expansion of the streaming API is good, and the new swift UI designer for dedicated standalone watch apps is great. the overall redesign of the health app on iOS and how it works with apple watch was sorely needed and seems to finally attempt to give end users a way to *use* the copious health data the watch is constantly recording.

that said this is of course not all of it. they WILL update the watch and SOMETHING will be exclusive to the series 5 watch. i again believe the series 5 will be a mild update (same style, perhaps new case materials (ceramic returning is rumored)?) but i bet it still offers something that works only with the new hardware and watchOS 6... any guesses for fun (sleep tracking is heavily rumored for NEXT YEAR, 2020)...?

ZombieZakk

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
i cannot believe they still did not add a notes app.

my wife and i use shared notes for groceries list and i would love to check off on my list with my watch instead i have to take my phone out of my pocket every item.

I have tried google keep but would prefer the native notes app.

Reactions: RCarver and Agile55

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
I would like to see the chime be customized like i phone ringtones .
i'm certain that will be a feature... surely the example he showed of a bird's call being the hourly chime can't be an un-editable default. maybe they will limit the choices to some set they supply at worst?

Reactions: tridley68

Liquid Galaxy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Swindon, UK
You barely get a day of use without AOD, and really that's with theatre mode on. With AOD we would probably get 2-3 hours of use! I don't disagree, I would love to have AOD, but it ain't going to happen this round unless AW5 has a significant leap in battery capacity/technology.
Would love to know what you guys do with your watches where you only get a day. I charge mine every second night. Took mine off charge 14 hours ago and it still has 71 percent (series 4).

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
Would love to know what you guys do with your watches where you only get a day. I charge mine every second night. Took mine off charge 14 hours ago and it still has 71 percent (series 4).
I workout and go running in the morning, on those days my AW won't last me if I have a late dinner or marketing meeting.

Reactions: Liquid Galaxy

apps1991

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Especially having it's dedicated app store now Apple continues to widen it's gap over any other smartwatch competitor

prosopopeia2112

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
Champaign, IL
i cannot believe they still did not add a notes app.

my wife and i use shared notes for groceries list and i would love to check off on my list with my watch instead i have to take my phone out of my pocket every item.

I have tried google keep but would prefer the native notes app.

You can do this already, but *much* more efficiently, with a shared Grocery List in Reminders. Set up a list on your phone, share it with your wife, and no matter who goes to the store, the list is there, waiting to be checked off, directly from the watch. You could even do two grocery stores simultaneously, since the updating is almost instantaneous, so you can see what your wife has already put in the cart. But it's in Reminders, not Notes.

Reactions: drumcat and aviddk

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
We use AnyList for exactly that reason! Highly recommend!
if you aren't using AnyList you are missing out! it works great with Siri and it works great with Amazon Alexa also. Anywhere I am with my watch or phone, or anywhere in my house with Amazon Echo's I can just say the trigger word and "Add Frosted Flakes to my shopping list" etc. and its done and synced with my wife and I.