Apple Update... determining new updates

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcalevy, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mcalevy macrumors newbie

Anybody have any idea why it takes so long for apple updates to determine if there are any updates available? On my macbook pro, I have seen it take up to 5 minutes to determine this. As a programmer, I can see that this could be done in mere seconds. How hard would it be to create an array that holds the computer configuration and a second on to contain the version of each update already installed. Two lookups on the server, and then done.

I have also noticed that for most of this wait time, my computer is not transmitting or receiving anything on the net. Is apple perusing my computer and gathering info? It does do a short transmit before the updates screen appears. Anybody ever sniffed what is going on here?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a guess, but it's possible that it's taking inventory of what you have installed before it looks for appropriate updates.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

^That and I guess depending on Apple's servers (updates) it can take awhile because sometimes updates show in less than a minute while other times, it can take a few minutes. As for knowing which updates to install, it's stored on your computer:

Macintosh HD>Library>Updates

So my guess is that it already knows which updates to install for your computer but the time loading is really checking Apple's side to see if they have anything new as well as what GGJstudios said, rechecking what you have installed to see if there is any change.

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

maybe because the update is more secure / smarter then throwing version numbers in a simple array? Perhaps it dynamically checks for known installed software against a remote database, does MD5 / SHA1SUMS on the binaries to *really* determine the version instead of trusting on a mere list and only then downloading the new software? I'm not sure but i would assume multiple failsafes are build into the system.