Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released a small update to Aperture 2 today. The 44MB update "addresses issues related to performance and overall stability. It also fixes a number of other minor issues." A list of fixes are detailed:Aperture 2.0.1 addresses issues related to the performance and overall stability of Aperture 2. The update includes fixes that impact the following areas:

- Publishing .Mac Web Gallery albums
- Preview generation and deletion
- Creating and ordering books
- AppleScript support
- Keyboard shortcut customization
- Appearance of metadata overlays in the Browser, Filmstrip, and on light tables
- Watermarking of emailed photos
- Highlight Hot and Cold Areas

It also fixes a number of other minor issues, some involving the following areas:

- Loupe
- Smart Albums
- All Projects View
- Straighten Tool
- Filmstrip
- Drag and drop import
- Thumbnail generation
- Import window
- Export plug-in reliability
The Aperture 2.0.1 Update is recommended for all Aperture users. The update should be available via Mac OS X's Software Update or from Apple's site.

Article Link: Apple Updates Aperture to 2.0.1

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
No Help Menu Still

Well, unfortunately this did not fix the help menu for those who downloaded version 2 of Aperture and purchased the license code.

Lightglance.com

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Its installed... no major differences...

Tough it is good to see that :apple: are so quick on fixing issues, lets hope they keep it up..

saxondale.

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
England/China
I purchased the serial download for Aperture 2 and activated the trial to the full version. The update doesn't detect my Aperture 2. Can anyone help?

edit: it seems like when i renamed the Aperture file to 'Aperture 2', it caused this.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
This update seems to have fixed a memory leak. Aperture used to use up to a gig of RAM while I was editing, but now it seems to use more reasonable amounts of ram (250-500 megs). And it hasn't crashed yet since I updated!!

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Hmm, I had the take the application check out of the dist file in order to be able to install that update (and had to download the stand alone updater, because it didn't show up in software-updates)... Very strange.
Otherwise it always gave me an error saying I have to install version 2.0 in order to install the update...
About the Help files: I'm glad I ordered the boxed version by mistake (or wasn't allowed to only buy the license code ;) )
But the 'help files' aren't anything more than links to the apple website anyway...

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Aperture vs. Photoshop

Can someone familiar with the two tell me, can Aperture really be a viable replacement for Photoshop or are they kind of geared towards different objectives?

It seems to me that Aperture is geared more towards being a library and less towards "Photoshopping" or manipulation and editing abilities. Is that wrong? I know that Aperture can alter etc. but is Photoshop not much more capable with editing and alteration?

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Can someone familiar with the two tell me, can Aperture really be a viable replacement for Photoshop or are they kind of geared towards different objectives?

It seems to me that Aperture is geared more towards being a library and less towards "Photoshopping" or manipulation and editing abilities. Is that wrong? I know that Aperture can alter etc. but is Photoshop not much more capable with editing and alteration?

Photoshop is more capable, but in many areas in which photographers don't necessarily need the tools. Also, it doesn't have any cataloging/library/manager features. Aperture and Lightroom are the competitors, not Aperture and PS.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I use both Photoshop and Aperture. They are complementary.

Apple did not intend for Aperture to compete with Photoshop in fact they made it so the two can work together seamlessly. From within Aperture there is a command to send a photo to Photoshop and when you save it inside Photoshop it automatically comes back into Aperture.

Aperture is for sorting, selecting and organizing a large library of photos. It has tools that are good for making fine adjustments to color and exposure. For most phots this is all you need. It also handle meta data very well. If you shot raw format Aperture can keep those and work directly with the raw files, you don't have to convert them.

Photoshop is far better at image manipulation. Aperture does not even have the concept of selections and layers.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Has anyone tried the duplicate detection yet and know how it works? I've got a bunch of folders of stuff that I think is already in there, but I'm not sure that it's all in there... I've been planning, someday, to check file by file, but if Aperture can do the checking for me then I'd be thrilled.

Someone will probably smack me, but Aperture is kind of a grown up iPhoto. It does have some manipulation capabilities, but they're mostly full image manipulation.

For me it's about perfect. I have enough images that I prefer taking care of them with an industrial tool, and I like the keyword controls. I've been shooting RAW recently, and Aperture handles that better than iPhoto (though iPhoto will import them). The image manipulation capabilities of Aperture are enough, I prefer not to mess with Photoshop if I can avoid it. Photoshop leaves me feeling inadequate for days...

dia3olik

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
Hi guys!
Apple has updated the support page for the update adding this worrying phrase about fixes and improvements:

- Upgrading libraries from earlier versions of Aperture

Do you think i must reimport my 1.5 library after applying the 2.0.1 update?
Since i've ton of pictures (as many he he) i can't check 'em all!
;-)

Thanks for your opinions!
Tommy

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Hi guys!
Apple has updated the support page for the update adding this worrying phrase about fixes and improvements:

I believe a few people were having difficulties after library upgrades, such as immediate crashes, etc. The support page probably referred to those rare conversion issues.

If you are running Aperture successfully with a 2.0 library, I do not see any reason why a minor bug fix of 2.0 should demand a reimport of your old library.

rmr905

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Hi guys!

;-)

Thanks for your opinions!
Tommy

I upgraded from 2.0 last night without any problems. I didn't need to re-import anything.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003

Aperture is a library manager, but it also handles full image manipulation such as color correction, white balance, sharpness, cropping, straightening, etc. Photoshop can do that but is also for heavy duty editing such as adding layers, masks, effects, cloning, and pixel level manipulation.

The only pixel level manipulation Aperture provides is red-eye removal, and blemish removal (similar to the healing brush in Photoshop).

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Someone will probably smack me, but Aperture is kind of a grown up iPhoto. It does have some manipulation capabilities, but they're mostly full image manipulation.
I'm not going to smack you (unless you're a hot girl and we're talking about your bottom), but your comments on Aperture are dead on. To me though I cannot figure out really what is the difference between it and iphoto 08:confused:

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm not going to smack you (unless you're a hot girl and we're talking about your bottom), but your comments on Aperture are dead on. To me though I cannot figure out really what is the difference between it and iphoto 08:confused:

Better workflow is the main attraction of apps like Aperture and Lightroom. I'd equate it with the difference between MS word and textedit. Both do the same basic function but one is a higher end product that can create a more polished end result in a shorter amount of time.

Personally I'm holding off on buying Aperture until I see Apple place support for the soon to be released Canon XSi. Yes it won't be out until April but watching the pace Apple releases compatibility updates, I'm....concerned.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Better workflow is the main attraction of apps like Aperture and Lightroom. I'd equate it with the difference between MS word and textedit. Both do the same basic function but one is a higher end product that can create a more polished end result in a shorter amount of time.

and the app that is high end is of course textedit, right? :D

anyway, are you guys saying aperture 2.0 is a good update?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
and the app that is high end is of course textedit, right? :D

anyway, are you guys saying aperture 2.0 is a good update?

Every review I've read says Aperture 2 is kicking *** and taking names compared to 1.5. They overhauled the engine, they streamlined the UI, they dropped the price to $199. Frankly anyone who takes a lot of pictures and enjoys tweaking them would enjoy aperture 2.0. However don't bother with what I'm telling you...Apple allows you to download a 30 day trial.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

I would recommend getting the full version from the store though. Even though the price is the same you get an extra disk of "content" with the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.