Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App With Apple Pay Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Apple Store app, adding support for Apple Pay, which was enabled with the recently released iOS 8.1 update. Following the update, users will be able to use their iPhones to make purchases in the Apple Store app that are verified with a simple finger on Touch ID.

In-app Apple Pay purchases are available for iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus users. When the iPad mini 3 and iPad Air 2 are available, those devices will also be able to use Apple Pay within apps thanks to the addition of Touch ID. While all devices with Touch ID can app purchases for physical goods using Apple Pay, retail purchases will be limited to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users, as those devices support NFC.

Along with the Apple Store app, several other apps should be receiving updates in the very near future to allow them to work with Apple Pay. Apple has several app launch partners including Starbucks, Uber, Groupon, Target, and more.

The Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App With Apple Pay Support

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
Now, does this work with the "buy it while you are in the store" feature?

Comment

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Apple's website does not mention anything about support for Apple Pay in the iPhone 5s.

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Check the bottom chart.

I read that several previous-gen iPhones will work with Apple Pay through Apple Watch. The watch has the NFC chip, the iPhone provides whatever the watch needs in terms of computing power (especially the Secure Enclave on the A7 chip). Of course, you'll still need to tap in your password on the iPhone.

----------

Queue everyone buying cases and screen protectors that they don't need just to test :apple:Pay.

:cool:

I can see it now: "Apple Pay range extender case! Buy things from 50+ feet!"

Comment

nathan.l.larsen

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I read that several previous-gen iPhones will work with Apple Pay through Apple Watch. The watch has the NFC chip, the iPhone provides whatever the watch needs in terms of computing power (especially the Secure Enclave on the A7 chip). Of course, you'll still need to tap in your password on the iPhone.

Correct, but as of right now, with no :apple:Watch having been released, the 5s is left out of the :apple:Pay party it appears ...

Comment

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Comment

nathan.l.larsen

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Yeah, oddly enough, it does appear the iPhone 5s is left out, even though it has Touch ID with no NFC like the iPads.

I'm thinking the difference may be in semantics, i.e. the 5s has a "secure enclave" in its A7 chip vs. the 6, 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 & Mini 3 having a "secure element" in their A8 & A8X chips.

Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I know how I will be buying my iPhone 6S plus...

----------

Apple's website does not mention anything about support for Apple Pay in the iPhone 5s.

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Check the bottom chart.

Apple's iPhone 5s does not appear to be compatible according to the Apple Pay website, even though it has Touch ID.

EDIT: Learned something new today..
The 5s has a secure enclave for the Touch ID, but it does not have a new, separate secure enclave for Apple Pay. Hardware requirements are different for the storage of Touch ID data and Apple Pay data.

Last edited:
Comment

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
EDIT: Learned something new today..
The 5s has a secure enclave for the Touch ID, but it does not have a new, separate secure enclave for Apple Pay. Hardware requirements are different for the storage of Touch ID data and Apple Pay data.
Does the :apple: Watch have a secure element? If it relies on the paired phone to provide the secure element, then using the :apple: Watch to pay when paired with a 5S may not be possible.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This is terrible! I can't use Apple Pay to buy my first iPhone that supports Apple Pay, because my old phone doesn't support Apple Pay! What ever am I going to do? :(

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Does the Apple Watch have a secure element? If it relies on the paired phone to provide the secure element, then using the Apple Watch to pay when paired with a 5S may not be possible.

According to Apple, the Watch, the new iPads, and the new iPhone 6 all have a secure element. "Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch." - Apple

We also know that TouchID is not a requirement for Apple Pay, partly because of the iPhone 5 and 5C being allowed, and partly because Apple's own security docs say a PIN can be used. (Plus it makes sense. If your sensor isn't working, or your fingers are wet, you don't want to get locked out of payments.)

Which all begs the questions:

1) Why not let the iPhone 4S and below use the Apple Watch for NFC payments? Is it a lack of low power Bluetooth?

2) Is the secure element in the iPad the same all-in-one NFC + Secure Element chip that the iPhone and Watch use? If so, why not throw in an NFC antenna and let students / doctors / everyone make NFC payments with their iPad?

Comment

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
According to Apple, the Watch, the new iPads, and the new iPhone 6 all have a secure element. "Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch." - Apple

We also know that TouchID is not a requirement for Apple Pay, partly because of the iPhone 5 and 5C being allowed, and partly because Apple's own security docs say a PIN can be used. (Plus it makes sense. If your sensor isn't working, or your fingers are wet, you don't want to get locked out of payments.)

Which all begs the questions:

1) Why not let the iPhone 4S and below use the Apple Watch for NFC payments? Is it a lack of low power Bluetooth?

2) Is the secure element in the iPad the same all-in-one NFC + Secure Element chip that the iPhone and Watch use? If so, why not throw in an NFC antenna and let students / doctors / everyone make NFC payments with their iPad?
I don't have an iPhone 5S, so I can't test this. Is the process of entering a payment card into Passbook on the iPhone 5S (or 5 or 5c) the same as entering it into the 6 and 6+? Do you just take a picture of the card and then the phone verifies it with the bank? If there's no secure element, then does the card information just get stored in regular memory? That seems a bit insecure.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't have an iPhone 5S, so I can't test this. Is the process of entering a payment card into Passbook on the iPhone 5S (or 5 or 5c) the same as entering it into the 6 and 6+? Do you just take a picture of the card and then the phone verifies it with the bank? If there's no secure element, then does the card information just get stored in regular memory? That seems a bit insecure.

That's a good question.

It would make sense if a card registration on the phone, simply passed the newly registered and returned account token & other info straight to the Apple Watch. (The account token isn't secret. It's the other stuff that is used to create the one-off transaction cryptograms that is.)

So what happens if we don't have the Watch nearby? As you said, storing the info in the phone is a poor idea. Perhaps registering will require the Watch to be linked up and ready.

Comment

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
That's a good question.

It would make sense if a card registration on the phone, simply passed the newly registered and returned account token & other info straight to the Apple Watch. (The account token isn't secret. It's the other stuff that is used to create the one-off transaction cryptograms that is.)

So what happens if we don't have the Watch nearby? As you said, storing the info in the phone is a poor idea. Perhaps registering will require the Watch to be linked up and ready.

Since the Apple Watch is not yet out, I wouldn't expect adding cards to an iPhone 5S to be enabled. Has anyone tried it?

Apple's website does say the Watch has a secure element, so that's the right place to store card data. I expect there will be a point update to iOS when the watch comes out, for all of the features that allow the Watch and iPhone to take to each other.

Comment

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Does anyone know if there will be any more free apps/songs/books in the Apple Store app? I like to use my computer to buy things so I only downloaded the app because of the free stuff but they seem to be gone in the latest updates.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Why not let the iPhone 4S and below use the Apple Watch for NFC payments? Is it a lack of low power Bluetooth?

As doelcm82 said, there's no secure enclave. Since that's the whole reason why Apple Pay is supposed to be so secure (that and the random per-use PIN), I can't see the 4s or below ever getting Apple Pay.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the second generation of the Apple Watch can make those transactions independent of an iPhone.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
As doelcm82 said, there's no secure enclave. Since that's the whole reason why Apple Pay is supposed to be so secure (that and the random per-use PIN), I can't see the 4s or below ever getting Apple Pay.

The iPhone 5 and 5C have neither a Secure Enclave nor TouchID, yet a Watch paired with and provisioned by those devices will be allowed to do NFC payments using only a PIN.

That's why I'd like someone to try disabling TouchID on their iPhone 6, and seeing if they get prompted for their PIN during a payment instead. Or is the iPhone 6 limited to using TouchID for some reason.

There are plenty of times that TouchID might not work, and it'd be nice to be able to fall back on a PIN without having to do multiple fingerprint tries first.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6

Aha.

Turns out that the new iPad Air _does_ contain the exact same NFC controller / Secure Element chip as the iPhone 6.

About all they'd have do next time to allow Apple Pay on the iPads, is include an antenna and maybe the same NFC booster chip that's in the iPhone.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.