Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Apple Support app to version 4.1, introducing new language and Accessibility improvements to make the app more available to everyone, along with a new feature to make it easier to check in for appointments.

geniuswallet.jpg

Apple has also expanded the number of locations that allow the Apple Support app to add a pass to the Wallet app when a Genius Bar appointment is scheduled at an Apple Store for quicker, simpler check-ins when service is needed.

It's now easier to find advisors that speak your preferred language in regions with multiple languages, and there are Accessibility improvements for VoiceOver, including search navigation and labels.

Apple's full release notes for the update are below:
- Add a pass to Wallet for easy check-in at more Genius Bar locations
- Easier to find Advisors in your preferred language in regions with multiple languages
- Accessibility improvements for VoiceOver, including Search navigation, labels, and more
- Performance enhancements and bug fixes
The Apple Support app can be downloaded from the App Store for free, and it's an ideal app to have installed for anyone who needs assistance with an Apple device, service, or app. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple Support App With Expanded Wallet Support for Easy Apple Store Check-Ins

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I always find it strange that if you have an appointment, that they don’t simply add a screen at their waiting area to indicate your check in or something like at a government building. They usually tell u to sit down somewhere and you end up kind of wondering if they still remember or forgot about you but maybe that’s just me

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Interesting that they offer this QR thing. Most of the time they never ask for them, even with order pickup. They just ask for your name. In fact many companies that do barcode check in never actually use the barcodes.

Reactions: Stevez67

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Interesting that they offer this QR thing. Most of the time they never ask for them, even with order pickup. They just ask for your name.
The QR code means less time in proximity with the front-of-store person that’s doing check-in stuff. No having to spell out names, and the days of them letting you type in your name on their device are over. Instead, you hold out the phone, they hold out the scanner, and it’s done in a couple seconds.

In the past, every time I’ve bought something in-store, using Apple Pay, and then had to enter my name and email address into their hand-held terminal (to get the email receipt among other things - and it was generally easier to type it myself rather than spell everything for them), I’ve been suggesting to them that they should have a screen in the Apple Store app that a customer could quickly bring up that had a QR code giving their name and email address and such (or, more likely, a hashed code that temporarily identifies your phone and account to their servers, so it can’t be misused by others), so that I could pull up the QR code and they could just scan it to complete the transaction - seemed weird to use Apple Pay and have it be so fast and direct, and then have to type things.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariusignorello

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I always find it strange that if you have an appointment, that they don’t simply add a screen at their waiting area to indicate your check in or something like at a government building. They usually tell u to sit down somewhere and you end up kind of wondering if they still remember or forgot about you but maybe that’s just me
Last time I was in for Genius Bar service (a year ago, perhaps?), after check-in, they said they’d message me when it was almost my turn. I went out and wandered the mall for the 15 minutes or so before they were ready for me. (Quite different times, yes.)

Reactions: Stevez67

adamdport

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
PSA: don't go to the "authorized service centers" for anything other than screen or battery replacements. The one near me wanted $45 just to look at it. Genius bar has always been a free diagnosis in my experience.

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007

They used to have this in stores when it was truly a “bar.” You’d see your name on a list on a screen. Now that they can take appointments anywhere in the store, there is no specific “waiting area.” Text notifications are better now.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
At the store I go to your name and time shows up on the monitors....or did the last time I had an appointment.

silvertech

macrumors member
May 30, 2016
Interesting that they offer this QR thing. Most of the time they never ask for them, even with order pickup. They just ask for your name. In fact many companies that do barcode check in never actually use the barcodes.
Just went to the Apple store. They didn’t even look at my card. They asked for my name.

Reactions: mariusignorello
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.