Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released several software updates targeting both Mac Pro and Xserve users and users of its Logic Studio professional audio application package.

Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.4, which weighs in at 1.96 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.2, addresses several issues related to Apple's Early 2009 Mac Pro models.
This update addresses the following issues for Mac Pro (Early 2009) computers:

- Improves compatibility with virtualization products utilizing VT-d
- Improves storage performance under Windows XP for Boot Camp users
- Improves system reliability during the boot process
Similarly, Xserve EFI Firmware Update 1.2, which weighs in at 1.81 MB, addresses the VT -d compatibility and reliability during boot issues found in the Mac Pro update. Further details on EFI firmware updates are available in Apple's associated support document, and Apple also released Firmware Restoration CD 1.8 (22.5 MB) to support the updated firmware for those machines.

Apple also released Unitor Family Driver 2.5 for Logic Studio users, addressing certain reliability issues. The update weighs in at 514 KB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.7.

Article Link: Apple Updates EFI Firmware for Mac Pro and Xserve, Unitor Family Driver for Logic

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'll have to download it tonight when I get home from work.

I really hope it reduces the ridiculous start up times of my machine - it takes nearly 2 minutes just to get to the grey startup screen.

TallGlassOfFail

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
I go to "Software Update.app" but it does not have an update for my EFI. Do i need to download this manually?

I bought my Mac Pro only in October.

Thanks.

TallGlassOfFail

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Strange. I have never installed any EFI Firmware updates but after manually downloading the installer and trying to run it, it says: "Alert, This computer does not need this update.". If apple shipped with this update to me then they have waited until now to release it?

:S:S:S:S:S

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I have just installed this, booting up my 8-core 2.26GHz Mac Pro w/ 16GB RAM with Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD seems much quicker however, the computer now runs like ass! iTunes is laggy as hell, would not recommend updating if you haven't already...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.