Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X and iMovie With Bug Fixes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released updates for Final Cut Pro X, iMovie, Motion, and Compressor, introducing a handful of bug fixes to address issues that have popped up since the last major update.

Final Cut Pro fixes issues released to brightness, keyframes, the transform tool, and more, with notes below.
- Fixes an issue in which XAVC media from the Sony PXW-FX9 camera is not recognized
- Fixes an issue where brightness levels shift when switching between Better Quality and Better Performance in the viewer
- Fixes an issue in which effect keyframes are not added correctly when using onscreen controls
- Improves stability when using the transform tool with multiple clips in the timeline
- Improves reliability when exporting an FCPXML that contains Compound clips
- Addresses an issue which could prevent sharing at certain resolutions
- Fixes an issue in which sharing a Compound or Multicam clip from the timeline was disabled
The iMovie update fixes an issue that prevented the sharing of some projects in HD or 4K resolutions and it improves stability when importing media.

For Motion and Compressor, there's a fix for a bug that could cause XAVC media from the Sony PXW-FX9 camera to not be recognized.

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X and iMovie With Bug Fixes

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
GG Apple for fixing this so fast. I wonder if the FX9 needs a firmware update as well.
On a side note, FCPX timeline scrolling is not smooth anymore, the rubber banding effect seems to be buggy.

Reactions: lJoSquaredl
Comment

maverick28

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2014
I sense intrigue: Final Cut PRO runs on Mojave and newer, while a consumer-grade iMovie requires Catalina and newer. Unless Apple hasn't screwed up badly they don't issue updates for D-1 release where D is a current one following the established pratices, got it. Must've been in pain and torturous insecurity while making a decision before being forced to release the 10th iteration for FCP 10.4 and 7th for Catalina (they were so happy doing with only 5 of those and willing to forget the days of eighth, ninth and eleventh! The first slip was in 2016 with El Capitan and now this again! Damned reality. Gotta be careful in the future)

Reactions: Okasian
Comment

TheDailyApple

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
Dang, I forgot iMovie existed.
I remember when Apple used to take time out of their keynotes to brag about iLife, and how easy it is. Now it’s barely mentioned anymore.
At this point, I expect that anyone particularly interested in video is going to be wanting Final Cut Pro; so it makes sense that they'd feature it over iMovie. And since iMovie is basically just FCP Lite, all the new features worth showing off in a keynote come to FCP first anyway.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
When will Apple come out with an iPad pro version of Final Cut?! The 3rd party app Lumafusion is a fully featured video editing app for the iPad that blows away iMovie. Surely the iPad Pro is worthy of a Pro video editing app from Apple!

Comment

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I was wondering if my problems with iMovie were an issue with my machine or the software. Sounds like it may have been the software.

Also, I’d love to see iMovie be able to deal well with files imported from iPhone. As it is, there are almost always issues with the audio and video syncing up upon import because of the VBR vs CBR issues.

Comment

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2016
At this point, I expect that anyone particularly interested in video is going to be wanting Final Cut Pro; so it makes sense that they'd feature it over iMovie. And since iMovie is basically just FCP Lite, all the new features worth showing off in a keynote come to FCP first anyway.
I’m surprise that iMovie still exists. I’m surprised they haven’t just taken final cut, and turned it into a monthly subscription. $9.99 a month or something like that

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
As a FCPX newbie, I was thinking that the only way to share or render was a full project timeline, although I sweared remember having done it with compound clips already some versions ago!
“I’m getting old man” I thought, turns out it was a bug, nice.

Comment

Semmo

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
I can’t seem to get the trial link to work. I submit my details and it hits an error page.

Comment

natteaap

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
When will Apple come out with an iPad pro version of Final Cut?! The 3rd party app Lumafusion is a fully featured video editing app for the iPad that blows away iMovie. Surely the iPad Pro is worthy of a Pro video editing app from Apple!

My bet is on apple silicon. Once that is in all of the macs, the transition will be sort of painless. FCPX and Logic have to be ported to apple silicon mac's so that is the moment that a catalyst project to iOS is plausible.
[automerge]1601024581[/automerge]
As a FCPX newbie, I was thinking that the only way to share or render was a full project timeline, although I sweared remember having done it with compound clips already some versions ago!
“I’m getting old man” I thought, turns out it was a bug, nice.

nevertheless, "getting old" is indeed a terrible system bug :)

• Haha
Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH

I've heard from some posts on twitter that it's a RAM issue. They want to release FCP on iPad but they are having RAM issues. Remember the 2020 iPad Pro still only has 6GB RAM. And most other models are under 4. So do you release software where only people who have the 2020 model or the 2018 1TB models can use it? I would love to see FCP come to iPad Pro personally but LumaFusion is up there with it's features and speed. I use LumaFusion now exclusively. All my video editing is done on my iPad Pro instead of my Mac mini with 32 GB RAM. Just seems far superior in speed...

Comment

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I've heard from some posts on twitter that it's a RAM issue. They want to release FCP on iPad but they are having RAM issues. Remember the 2020 iPad Pro still only has 6GB RAM. And most other models are under 4. So do you release software where only people who have the 2020 model or the 2018 1TB models can use it? I would love to see FCP come to iPad Pro personally but LumaFusion is up there with it's features and speed. I use LumaFusion now exclusively. All my video editing is done on my iPad Pro instead of my Mac mini with 32 GB RAM. Just seems far superior in speed...

i agree. I use Lumafusion too. Love it. Edit all my video on my ipad pro now. Portable & powerful. I guess i was asking because Lumafusion is so much more feature rich than imovie. So i was wondering about FCP for the ipad pro. I have the 6GB version of the iPad Pro. I do hope that FCP does come to the iPad in the future. I think it’s inevitable. Photoshop is available for the ipad pro now. Your ram theory could be the reason tho.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.