Apple Updates iOS iLife Apps: iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its suite of iLife apps for iOS, delivering new versions of iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie.

The most significant update appears to be to iPhoto, which has gained over 30 new features and improvements in version 1.1, including support for the fourth- and fifth-generation iPod touch, new ink effects, and support for images of up to 36.5 megapixels on the iPhone 5 and third-generation iPad. A partial list of changes includes:
- Added support for iPod touch (4th generation and later)
- Coaching tips have been added to the Help system on the iPhone and iPod touch
- Effects now include six new Apple-designed ink effects such as Chalk and Palette Knife
- Images up to 36.5 megapixels are now supported*
- Full resolution photos can now be imported via iTunes File Sharing
- Tag albums can be created by adding custom tags to photos
- "Updating Library" alert appears less frequently
- Multiple photos can now be saved to the Camera Roll at one time
- Cropping presets now use detected faces to determine composition
- Tilt-shift and gradient effects can now be rotated
GarageBand has been updated to version 1.3, bringing several new features including the ability to create custom ringtones and alert tones under iOS 6.
- Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Import songs from the Music library on your iOS device
- Play or record with GarageBand in the background while using other apps
- Addresses a number of minor issues related to overall performance and stability
iMovie moves to version 1.4, adding new trailer options and other features.
- Three new trailers -- Adrenaline, Coming of Age, and Teen
- Add photos to any trailer and have them automatically animate with the Ken Burns effect
- On iPad, open the Precision Editor to create split audio edits
- Play clips in the Video Browser before adding them to your project
- Create a slideshow by sharing photos from iPhoto for iOS
- Tap the help icon to display Coaching tips
- 1080p HD upload resolution is now available for sharing to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and CNN iReport
- Audio recordings captured in a project now appear in the Audio Browser for easy access
Article Link: Apple Updates iOS iLife Apps: iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
My goodness. All these updates in one day is like a mini Christmas. I'm gonna need a celebratory cocktail when it's all done. :)

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
For Numbers it says you can open spreadsheets in other apps. Does anyone know how this works?

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I really wish they'd make a GarageBand Pro app, or something like that. I want more instruments and effects, more recording features, live mixing, increased polyphony, greater MIDI support, etc.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
SO MANY UPDATES!!

But seriously, this is awesome. It makes me realize just how big of a company Apple is and the amount of manpower needed for this kind of massive update across so many products. Looking at the iPhoto update alone is chore to just get through the list of new additions.

Props to everyone over at Apple.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Toronto
I really wish they'd make a GarageBand Pro app, or something like that. I want more instruments and effects, more recording features, live mixing, increased polyphony, greater MIDI support, etc.
Try Logic Audio - pretty sure GB is based on it.

YMMV.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Anyone know how the 'forever on' feature in Find My IPhone is supposed to be enabled/work?

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
Interesting, these show as version 1.x. My version of iPhoto is 9.3.4.

----------

Nevermind, this is for the iOS versions. Stupid me.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
iPhoto for mac also updated to v9.4. I had problems updating iPhoto from app store ("To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it."), had to delete the app and install iPhoto from scratch.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
iPhoto for mac also updated to v9.4. I had problems updating iPhoto from app store ("To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it."), had to delete the app and install iPhoto from scratch.
I still don't see it. I had this version well before the Mac app store version was available. However I googled iPhoto 9.4 and it took me to the Apple support site.

ajfoggy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
My macmini saw iPhoto 9.4 via apps store and updated fine.

My iMac is not seeing the update in appstore and if I try and update in iPhoto it say 9.3.2 is the current version no update.....

Very odd.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Check out Auria or Meteor Multitrack in the App Store.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
TomTom crashes on launch

Be nice if they could provide an update to fix that.

Apple Maps is no good for me as I drive through areas with no network.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It seems like with the power of these chips, Garageband should be able to handle more tracks.

And a piano roll midi editor.

iMovie still can't utilize the movies in the video app.

Movies you can edit are in Photos app, in a pile of photos in a folder called "camera roll".

Hoping iOS7 is the "video" OS and they clean this up.

effeebee

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
not seeing iLife updates

I had purchased my iLife suite before the App Store existed-- is that why my versions of iPhoto and iMovie don't think there are any updates to install when I "Check for Updates"?

TheNinjaJedi

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
I also don't see the iPhoto update. I had it installed from disc and not the App Store. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.