Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunesremote.jpg
Apple today updated its iTunes Remote app, which is designed to allow users to control their iTunes libraries from anywhere in the home.

The new update adds support for Apple's Two-Factor Authentication system, adding an extra layer of security when signing in for Home Sharing purposes. Using Home Sharing will now require a verified device or a verified phone number that can receive a Two-Factor Authentication code, preventing an unauthorized user from accessing a home library with just a password.

For those unfamiliar with Two-Factor Authentication, it is an opt-in system that's designed to increase the security of Apple ID accounts. It asks users to provide a verified code when signing in to new devices, when using iCloud, and when using services like iMessage and FaceTime.

Apple's iTunes Remote app was last updated in September of 2016, adding iOS 10 compatibility and minor performance and stability improvements. The app lets users browse their iTunes libraries and send music to AirPlay speakers.

The iTunes Remote app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates iTunes Remote App With Two-Factor Authentication for Home Sharing

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
And still no ability to control Apple Music through Remote?

Sigh.
What do you mean? Remote apps for for devices. iTunes Remote for Mac (and maybe Windows?) and Apple TV Remote for Apple TV. I don't think they'll ever make a way to control the Music app on one iOS device from another.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
And still no ability to control Apple Music through Remote?

Sigh.

I know, I would love to be able to do this.

At present, if you are in list of songs already on Apple Music on say your computer, you can Apple Remote to it and change to next and pervious songs but that is it. I really which you could search Apple Music, browse, and play songs from the remote app.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I only know of two excel users who have used pivot tables, and only one of them actually understood what it was for. I doubt that would count as a home user feature.

Reactions: orbital~debris

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015

At present, if you are in list of songs already on Apple Music on say your computer, you can Apple Remote to it and change to next and pervious songs but that is it. I really which you could search Apple Music, browse, and play songs from the remote app.
Lol this is a remote app not a apple music app

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
They really need to come up with a better system than this two factor authentication. I have it enabled solely because unlock mac with Apple Watch requires it (why? Hell if I know seeing how the Apple Watch is locked with a passcode anyway if it's ever removed from your wrist) and it makes logging into anything Apple a chore.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
1. Is there a reason that I should be using this one and not the new remote app? I thought this version would die off...

2. Wait a second. I think I'm confused. This changed into just being a remote app for iTunes???
ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know how much code from this app is shared with the similar icon looking remote app on the watch, but they really need to fix the watch version which—for whatever reason—still shows my old ATV 3 even though it has been in a box for over a year, and yet completely forgets my ATV 4 which is always plugged in. It's also great that when it does work, I have to scroll past my old ATV 3 to tap on the ATV 4. Why can't it just default to it? That app is slower than just pulling out my iPhone sometimes.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010

agreed, and the option to control Radio

and for those who say just use the Music app on your phone, the main advantage with iTunes on Mac is the ability to airplay to multiple airplay speakers. This allows for whole home audio control. Now if only apple would make a more affordable airplay receiver. A refurbished airport express is $50 which isnt too bad but would love something with a smaller footprint and closer to the $20 price point

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
The new update adds support for Apple's Two-Factor Authentication system, adding an extra layer of security when signing in for Home Sharing purposes.

Um, is this really solving a problem? I've never heard of anyone's home shared library getting hacked. Seems like they really just added a layer of a PITA.

Reactions: arobert3434

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Of all the things they could do to improve Remote this isn't one of them. I'm serious about security but Remote is not something I consider "vulnerable" or worry about. I might be a tad embarrassed if someone stole my playlists and published them on Twitter. That's the extent of the damage I think.

incline design group

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
Salt Lake City, UT
this Remote app is one of Apples apps with the most potential—but unfortunately one of it's biggest disappointments.
and the fact that they are releasing other AppleTV app(s) instead of building that functionality into one "entertainment remote" is also a tremendous bummer.

- the ForceTouch pop up is laughably inadequate considering it's their own tech on their own hardware—with a specific use case that is so overwhelmingly appropriate (periodic, quick, user-initiated micro-interactions)
- the fact that it doesn't control AppleMusic is a tremendous lack of attention to their own products
- the Devices layout looks like they haven't updated the UI since 2006
- I got excited when ControlCenter was released in iOS thinking the Music panel would actually be the Remote, or at least be selectable/have the option of having a Remote panel in Control Center (but it's not).
- and (my biggest gripe) the fact that the User Interaction between the Remote App, the AppleTV remote, and the AppleTV are different (i.e.: pulling down for more info on the AppleTV, the lack of on-screen ability to skip forward or back, etc) just shows that there is no one at Apple who is using this stuff on a daily basis and running the project.

le-sigh. Apple used to continually delight and surprise us with their incredible attention to our smallest interactions with their software and hardware... but it seems like they lost that focus after teaching a generation of us what good design and interface is and how they should seamlessly work together.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I'd be very surprised if the same team is working on both the Apple Remote App and Numbers.
I don't think there's a 'team' working on the Remote app at all. As far as I'm aware (and is obvious from its lack of general development), it is – irregularly – maintained by a single person at most.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
They really need to come up with a better system than this two factor authentication. I have it enabled solely because unlock mac with Apple Watch requires it (why? Hell if I know seeing how the Apple Watch is locked with a passcode anyway if it's ever removed from your wrist) and it makes logging into anything Apple a chore.
Yeah, since this now requires if as well I'm a bit worried that iOS 11 will make it mandatory. It's a major PITA. Whoever figures out and successfully is able to replace passwords is going to make a fortune - internet security is a joke.

Reactions: Johnny907

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA

And, 95% of the time for me it either a) does not work (where I have to ask it to send me a Text message) or b) It takes a while before it shows up on the other device so I can approve it (usually about 2 minutes).

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I'd be very surprised if the same team is working on both the Apple Remote App and Numbers.

Apple moves resources around all the time. There's been plenty of cases of MacOS engineers pulled over to iOS and vice versa to meet deadlines. This happens all the time. So yes, it is actually entirely possible they're the same team, or at least have some of the same members.

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
He means browsing through Apple Music catalog to play songs from the Remote app on iPhone. Currently, you have no access to other than what is in your library.
Again this is just a remote app go to the Apple Music app and add there :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.