Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
In "albums view", the latest iTunes now divides multiple disc albums into "Disc 1" and "Disc 2".

Sounds like something is messed up in your tagging, it's just the opposite for everyone else.

You just need to make sure that both discs have the same album title, and have the proper disc numbers tagged. If that is done right, it will show up as one album.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Sounds like something is messed up in your tagging, it's just the opposite for everyone else.

You just need to make sure that both discs have the same album title, and have the proper disc numbers tagged. If that is done right, it will show up as one album.

There's nothing wrong with my tagging and it splits them into multiple discs.

See the screen shots in this post.

willbfree

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012

Not at all. See attached screenshot of the old way iTunes presented a double album, and the new way in which they are touting how great it is that they now show "Disc 1" and "Disc 2":

itunes1103.jpg

So I ask again, what is so important about what medium the music used to be on, before it was imported into iTunes? It isn't important. It should not divide itself into Disc 1 and Disc 2, in my opinion - because there isn't any disc anymore!

willbfree

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Mind you I'm just being rhetorical. Clearly someone at Apple wanted to show disc numbers, and it was implemented without really thinking about how the whole concept of the corporation is to move away from old technologies.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
On the Mac version of 11.0.3, holding down Command while clicking the album art in the title bar will bring up the album art in a separate window that can be resized to larger dimensions (in other words, it does exactly what a simple click used to do before the update). Perhaps there is a similar feature in Windows?

Thank you so much for this! I don't even know how you figured this out but I was about to be a very sad person

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
Screenshots of the new MiniPlayer. I'm unsure what to make of it yet.

Also, the controls fade on the large view of the album artwork after a few seconds.

wow, that looks good. will be upgrading as soon as possible.
itunes 11 is by far the best itunes version.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
The old way had it as one album, it's the new way which separates the discs.

What's your problem with how it does it?

Mind you I'm just being rhetorical. Clearly someone at Apple wanted to show disc numbers, and it was implemented without really thinking about how the whole concept of the corporation is to move away from old technologies.

Or maybe you can just rename it as one disc yourself and be more Apple than Apple. It will take less time than posting here. Again, I don't see the problem.

Why would Apple retain it? Disc number information may be important for some people; 30 seconds reflection should give you enough examples.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005

I haven't got a problem with it.

I was just highlighting (along with some other members) the contradiction in the release notes which say...
This version of iTunes comes with several new features and improvements, including:
- Multi-Disc Albums. Albums with multiple discs now appear as a single album.
...when it clearly doesn't (as shown in the screen shots posted in this thread).

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I haven't got a problem with it.

I was just highlighting (along with some other members) the contradiction in the release notes which say...

...when it clearly doesn't (as shown in the screen shots posted in this thread).

Thanks for your response. It seemed to me, looking at those screenshots, that multiple-disc albums do show up as one album. It demarcates the discs which comprise the album, but this doesn't change the fact that it's still one album. Thanks again.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
Thanks for your response. It seemed to me, looking at those screenshots, that multiple-disc albums do show up as one album. It demarcates the discs which comprise the album, but this doesn't change the fact that it's still one album. Thanks again.

There's no disputing that.

There's also no disputing iTunes was already showing multi-disc albums as a single album before the 11.0.3 update but didn't draw attention to the multiple-discs.

Which all means it's a very puzzling release note. :D

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Anyone else having problems adding artwork? Every time I go to add artwork to my movies it completely freezes and I have to force quit. Then, when I go back to add the artwork the artwork area is not accessible. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Artwork as well

;) iTunes 10 automatically includes all tracks as one album. There is no Disk 1, Disk 2 and so forth.

Album artwork as well, easily enlarged to suit.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Anyone else having problems adding artwork? Every time I go to add artwork to my movies it completely freezes and I have to force quit. Then, when I go back to add the artwork the artwork area is not accessible. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

I had similar this morning

Added art work to a movie and it froze (not responding)
walked away for 10 minutes, when I came back it had doen it

I have noticed this occasionally with all releases of iTunes 11, if I do a force quite it corrupts the file, so when it hangs I walk away and do something else for a while

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I had similar this morning

Added art work to a movie and it froze (not responding)
walked away for 10 minutes, when I came back it had doen it

I have noticed this occasionally with all releases of iTunes 11, if I do a force quite it corrupts the file, so when it hangs I walk away and do something else for a while

Thanks, I'll have to remember that from now on. I'm using metaX right now to write tags to all my movie files I have so I'm just adding the artwork there to not have any problems. Plus found a great site to get iTunes artwork that's the right sizes for movies (FINALLY! lol).

Crissov

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
Cmd+j

When you have the album artwork displayed in Songs view, right click one of the album covers and click "Sort Album by Artist/Year".

I wanted it for Artist and Album view, where right-clicking the cover art doesn’t work. Luckily, I finally found ⌘+J (View > Viewing options) which works nicely. I still wonder why this isn’t the default setting.

willbfree

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012

Or maybe you can just rename it as one disc yourself and be more Apple than Apple. It will take less time than posting here. Again, I don't see the problem.

Why would Apple retain it? Disc number information may be important for some people; 30 seconds reflection should give you enough examples.

Yup, I did that using the program Tagr to renumber the tracks and then after re-adding the album to iTunes, setting the tracks to be disc 1 of 1. Took a couple days but was worth it.

As for why would Apple retain that archaic information, no, even after much longer than 30 seconds I couldn't come up with any albums that needed that information to be retained. After a few days, I came up with 1 album that may need that info:

http://www.discogs.com/Robyn-Hitchcock-Robyn-Sings/release/2418090

Robyn Sings is divided into two discs that have different names: Disc 1 is "Stripes", and Disc 2 is "Dots". Each disc is from a different performance, so the choice to present two discs is intentional rather than being just a need for more room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.