Apple Updates iTunes U With Note-taking and Improved Search

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along with the release of OS X Mountain Lion, Apple today also released an updated version of its iTunes U learning app for iPhone and iPad. iTunes U was originally released this past January as part of an increased education push for the company.

The new iTunes U adds a note-taking component and a much improved search function, as well as a mechanism for sharing courses via Twitter, Mail or Messages.
    During the earnings call with analysts yesterday, Apple revealed that 14 million users have downloaded iTunes U with 700 new K-12 schools and 125 colleges and universities enrolling in the program. 750 new courses have been added recently as well.

iTunes U is a free download for the iPhone and iPad. [App Store]

Article Link: Apple Updates iTunes U With Note-taking and Improved Search

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Note taking sounds like a great feature. I'd be interested in hearing how that works.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

if it works like some of the 3rd party apps where the notes are time coded to pop up as you listen (as well as be read in a flat list that has links back into the lecture) then yes it will be awesome.

if it's just a split screen where you can write on one side while you play the lecture, not so much

4. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

I'm glad to see Apple updating this app, especially as the note-taking feature could be particularly useful, but why does Apple have to releases tons of updates on the same day? People have been complaining about Apple's servers for downloading Mountain Lion (my download of ML was slowed for a while also) and their up-to-date system appears to be a mess.

I can maybe see some things like iWork or iLife getting updated same-day since they have features that are integrated into ML. But iTunes U, the Podcasts app, or even arguably Safari 6 for Lion do not need to be released on the same day -- release them a day or two before or after a major launch like Mountain Lion, IMO. Even iWork or iLife could be released a little before or after (didn't they do that with Lion?).

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I can't seem to take notes on my iPhone 4 watching a video :(

I haven't use iTunes U on my iPhone in a long time, but I think being able to change the play speed (faster and slower) is new.

6. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

That's really nice. I like iTunes U, but there are a lot of things about it's interface and setup that I don't like. But, it has so much potential, so seeing it improve and become more streamlined is great!

7. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Notes button in iTunes U is dimmed

Same situation here.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I've tried tapping the note button on both videos and audio. Nothing. And it doesn't even appear in PDFs. I am rather confused...

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh, I see now. Note taking only works with the new style courses. The ones that look like wirebound notebooks.