Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iWork apps for the Mac to version 10.1, introducing new features for Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

iwork-for-mac.jpg

The Pages app now supports importing books from iBooks Author, which Apple discontinued and removed from the App Store on July 1. The update app also allows videos from YouTube and Vimeo to be played right in documents, with release notes below.
- Play YouTube and Vimeo videos right in your documents.
- Easily add captions and titles to images, videos, shapes, and other objects.
- Create more flexible formulas using new functions.
- Import an iBooks Author book to work on it in Pages.
Numbers also supports playing YouTube and Vimeo videos in spreadsheets, plus it has new functions that include XLOOKUP, XMATCH, and REGEX for matching patterns, manipulating text, and creating flexible formulas.
- Play YouTube and Vimeo videos right in your spreadsheets.
- New functions, including XLOOKUP, XMATCH, and REGEX, let you match patterns, manipulate text, and create flexible formulas.
Keynote has a new "Play Slideshow in Window" option that lets you access other applications when presenting slides locally or through video conferencing, along with some other new features outlined in the release notes.
- Use the new "Play Slideshow in Window" option to have access to other applications while presenting locally or via video conferencing.
- Movies can now play through slide transitions. Add the same movie to multiple slides to play from one slide to the next.
- Use the Align to Path option to have objects stay pointed in the correct direction while following a motion path.
Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for Mac are all free downloads that can be accessed in the Mac App Store.

Update: Apple has also updated its iWork for apps for iOS with many of the same features, and updated iOS apps are available from the iOS App Store.
Article Link: Apple Updates iWork Apps for Mac for iBooks Author Transition, YouTube and Vimeo Embeds [Update: iWork for iOS Apps Updated Too]

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

R3k

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Is it a joke that they refuse to update the icons for these? Imagine them looking like the iOS ones and matching the style of every other icon in my dock.

Reactions: calstanford

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
They already showed what they will look like in Big Sur, but the version of iWork for Big Sur won’t be released until Big Sur is released.
True was like this with iWork for iPadOS 13 last year with multiple instances. Quite logical...

Last edited:

ThePimento

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Texas
Here I was all excited about "Play Slideshow in Window," but when you do that, you can't see your presenter notes. Great job, Apple!

Reactions: eifelbube

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Hey, it only took me four years to write the book. Not like there is any reason to be concerned or upset.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 21.00.48.png

ghanwani

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2008
Please take this poll.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Not compatible with High Sierra. Mojave?

I've had four "incompatible" updates in the app store for a long time. These three and iMovie. I'm on HS. I'm not sure what about the operating system makes it impossible for Pages to make it possible for you to write a letter to your mother, but it must be something Earth-shattering.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've had four "incompatible" updates in the app store for a long time. These three and iMovie. I'm on HS. I'm not sure what about the operating system makes it impossible for Pages to make it possible for you to write a letter to your mother, but it must be something Earth-shattering.
I hear ya on that. I was on HS until a few days ago and updated to Mojave (will not update beyond that) just so that I can pick up the new versions.

FYI, for those who are keeping score at home, linked text boxes still are not "fixed" (not to the level of the old Pages '09 functionality)

Reactions: NMBob and trusso

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands

My mid 2011 Mac Mini is can't update beyond high sierra so I've had 6 "Incompatible Updates" showing in the App Store for quite some time now... the 3 iWork apps, iMovie, Xcode and macOS Server. Given I can't upgrade macOS on that device it would be nice if it could just not show them at all instead of teasing me that they exist and I can't have them.

Reactions: NMBob

AstroRob

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Is it seriously weird that embedding YouTube videos only works in Pages and Numbers but not Keynote? Since I have, to date, only embedded videos in Keynote?

Historically they've always added parallel functionality to all 3 apps, even when it didn't make much sense for 1 or 2 of them. But playing videos for presentation is what Keynote is FOR!

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
iCloud. And I have that on good authority, “little birdies”, as Gruber would say.

Sethal

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Is there a way to force check for App Store updates in Catalina?

MauiPa

macrumors 68030
Apr 18, 2018
Did I miss it or can Pages still not utilize portrait and landscape in the same document?
Probably a low demand feature. This generally is used for images, which can be rotated. You would have to paste in table screen shots, as tables can’t be rotated. Same with graphs which would be nice

much cleaner and easier to use than word, but with trade offs. If it meets your needs, it’s great, but some people just need more features hence desktop publishing apps. I just wish Microsoft could hire some good UI people and streamline word, it is so Byzantine

You could try offering feedback through channels, I (and probably others requesting same feature) have gotten fixes implemented
[automerge]1594336806[/automerge]
Is there a way to force check for App Store updates in Catalina?
Um, yah
[automerge]1594336917[/automerge]
Beta 2, everything is so locked down already. Good catch
Either he is on an old computer, which speaks great for longevity, or he is adverse to change - no sympathy

Reactions: mabaker

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Nice update. I love iWork. One of the best apps out there.

(Yes, haters, it’s not perfect. But I think it’s great.)

Reactions: MauiPa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.