Apple Updates Long List of Apps With Bug Fixes as Keynote for iOS Gains Apple Watch Controls

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated a number of its iOS and Mac apps, bringing bug fixes and performance improvements to Beats Music, Remote, Xcode, Keynote for Mac, Pages for Mac, Numbers for Mac, Pages for iOS, Numbers for iOS, and Keynote for iOS.

Keynote for iOS was the only app to receive an update introducing new features, gaining support for the Keynote Remote Apple Watch app that will let Keynote presentations be controlled directly from the wrist.

Today's round of updates are the first Apple's iWork apps for Mac and iOS have seen since January. None of the apps have gained significant new features since an October update that brought compatibility with OS X Yosemite and Continuity. Both Beats Music and Remote have also gone several months without seeing an update until today, having last been updated in November and September, respectively.

Article Link: Apple Updates Long List of Apps With Bug Fixes as Keynote for iOS Gains Apple Watch Controls

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Pages, Numbers and Keynote in update loop for me. Downloaded about 4 times and won't install. Just starts again when I reopen App Store app. iPhone 6 Plus.

Edit - scratch that, worked on 4th try.

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Frankly, I don't know if my issues with iWork these days are considered bugs, or missing features. Everything is such a mess.

It feels like an abandoned intern project...

bekiil

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
Northern Norway
Keynote on iPhone is "dimmed" after i tried to update. What to do. ?

edit: Went to "purchased" and tries to download again. Seems like it cant finish installing

Last edited:

Rafagon

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I was unable to get Arabic text to render properly on Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 and also on the prerelease version of Microsoft Excel for Mac 2016. Pathetic, seeing that it's 2015. It's either not possible or the way to get it to work is very deeply buried. No help on the web. It worked flawlessly on Numbers, so I'll be using Apple's Numbers for the foreseeable future.

Flyc17

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Frankly, I don't know if my issues with iWork these days are considered bugs, or missing features. Everything is such a mess.

Amen to that! I've all but given up on iWork. It's like an art project: pretty but not very useful.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Pages updated with no problem, but keynote and numbers are having some problems. Ios version of course.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I was unable to get Arabic text to render properly on Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 and also on the prerelease version of Microsoft Excel for Mac 2016. Pathetic, seeing that it's 2015. It's either not possible or the way to get it to work is very deeply buried. No help on the web. It worked flawlessly on Numbers, so I'll be using Apple's Numbers for the foreseeable future.
Unfortunately it is the byproduct of Microsoft insisting on using their own rendering engine rather than the one built into OS X which results in these sorts of issues. There was a blog entry a while ago talking about Windows 10's new rendering engine which supports more complex scripts [link] but unfortunately I don't see Microsoft taking the initiative anytime soon to use that new rendering engine in Microsoft Office. It is interesting to see how Pages, Numbers and Keynote are gradually progressing and hopefully with further improvements with the next version of OS X it might provide a much needed incentive for Microsoft to get their act together.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Yay - Keynote remote on my wrist :D
In concept this seems awesome. Never be without a remote when presenting. Truly brilliant. However, as I think about it, the gesture of raising my arm to get the watch to wake up and then using my other arm to tap on the watch seems like it might look a little odd. Then again, I am hoping that Apple has thought this through to make clicking to the next slide less akward.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yay - Keynote remote on my wrist :D
I feel the same way. I've tried to control keynote with my iPhone and iPod Touch but the confection keeps breaking.

Also my phone is HUGE.

I hope the Watch does a better job with it and if so its just one more reason to pick one up. Although I've been impressed by the stability of some third party offerings as of late.

----------

I wonder if the Remote app contains support for the Apple Watch?
This would also be nice.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

how strange. i love the new apps and the web counterpart, and use them far, far more often now than i ever did. it's great for our little projets around the house and the volunteer orgs i work for. my primary day client uses Office so for heavy lifting at work i still use that, but for everything else iWork's been great.

being an enterprise web dev, i can tell you producing web apps as polished as iWork's are no easy task. certainly not an intern project.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
In concept this seems awesome. Never be without a remote when presenting. Truly brilliant. However, as I think about it, the gesture of raising my arm to get the watch to wake up and then using my other arm to tap on the watch seems like it might look a little odd. Then again, I am hoping that Apple has thought this through to make clicking to the next slide less akward.
So what you are saying is you are incapable of controlling your watch using your hand that your watch straps above. :eek:

:D

----------

It is slow with updates but remember, Apple is pushing the iOS/OSX/Web and it's probably slowing feature releases because of it. You have to remember, OSX and iOS are the only two that Apple has a focused team under and even with that, they push resources back and forth. Anything else is probably overtime or extra work for the software developers if they want.

The only time I felt like Numbers/Pages/Keynote and iPhoto/GB/iMovie was ever updated was when iLife and iWork were sold in CD cases.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
214. Mostly free, mostly unused!
Almost always the case.

I was that way when I entered into the iOS system.

I tried that with Android and it was a nightmare. I did learn how to streamline and control my app downloads though.

Now that I'm back with iOS I have maybe 40 apps including the ones that come standard. All of them used regularly, except for the ones that come with the phone. You know. The bloat ware.

puggsly

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2003
San Diego
I'd bet missing features

iWork got it's simplification early to bring it inline with iOS and web versions. This removed a small number of features but I have to say I feel it was worth it to have 100% compatibility. Also, missing features are showing up with every update. Maybe you just aren't the target audience and should pay for MS Office. But for most tasks, iWork is very capable. IMHO

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
Agreed 100%. If you have to wake the watch every few minutes, you are going to be doing it a lot for a large presentation.