Apple Updates Made For iPhone Licensing Program With USB-C Ports, Lightning to 3.5mm Output Cable

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently updated its Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod (MFi) licensing program to include specifications for USB-C ports and a Lightning to 3.5mm output cable (via 9to5Mac).

With the new specifications, accessory makers will be able to include USB-C ports on MFi-certified charging accessories designed for the iOS and Mac, with those accessories able to use the USB-C cables that ship with new Macs.

[​IMG]

Third-party MFi accessories that include Lightning ports are able to offer passthrough charging, but Apple's new specifications do not allow the USB-C port built into an accessory to be used for passthrough charging or syncing of an iOS device.

Apple's documentation suggests speakers and battery packs could benefit from the use of a USB-C port for charging purposes.

As for the Lightning to 3.5mm stereo output plug, it is designed to let users connect to a 3.5mm input using a Lightning port on an iOS device, something that was previously only possible with adapters.

Apple also recently revamped its Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod logos, introducing support for the San Francisco font and replacing device icons with standard Apple logos.

Article Link: Apple Updates Made For iPhone Licensing Program With USB-C Ports, Lightning to 3.5mm Output Cable

2. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

Finally some Lightning to 3.5 jack cables other than Belkin's : )

3. heov macrumors regular

Let lightning die. They've already embraced USBC/Thunderbolt connector on their Macs. Bring it to iPhone and iPads. These are powerful powerful devices. Hell, just use the connector and keep call it lightning via USBC (like Thunderbolt).

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I wonder when iOS devices’ lightning cables will have USB-C in the other end?

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I wish they would do the same for USB-C to lightning cables.

6. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Finally! Looking forward to getting more affordable USB-C cables. (Get to work, Anker!)

7. brian3uk macrumors regular

About flippin time. Should have done this a long time ago.

8. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Apple's too arrogant to do that. You're talking about a company that has a history of removing functionality prematurely and needlessly (headphone jack). Given that, they are NOT going to comply with industry standards all the way. Apple has NEVER cared about those kinds of things.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Lightning is a better cable for mobile devices like the iPhone.

10. hmark8 macrumors regular

Let's hope they gave their partner's heads up on this. Such right now there are pretty much no iPhone X chargers, most notably Mophie. There are rumors they will be releasing one shortly, and would be unfortunate if they didn't get this approval ahead of time, and thus their charger were to have the old micro-usb plug rather than usb-c. Assuming usb-c, then for people who leave charger case on all the time, people can just carry around usb-c cable to charge their latest apple laptops and iPhones. Still no knew iPhone battery case by Apple though if they do it will be lighting sadly I'm sure. They may wait to release it until the new AirPower is released. Since I imagine AirPower will have some way of charging iPhones faster than 7.5w, and possibly the new case will support such a higher speed as well.

It's unfortunate that people who embracing the latest tech, still have wire chaos since even the latest Apple beats headphones don't use USB-C, let alone the iPhone or iPad. My guess is they will never switch to usb-c for iPhone/iPad and instead will just boost the charging speed of wireless eventually so it surpasses the max charging speed of wired cables. Which would be fine, but that seems like at least a few years out.

11. chowfun macrumors newbie

Can someone please explain to me what this means? (newbie) Thanks!

12. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

It means we will be able to get a fair priced usbc to lightning cable from a third party.

13. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I agree with MG. For mobile devices, Lightning is far easier to use than USB-C.

14. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

How so? USB-C shares most of Lightning's characteristics.

15. kylew1212 macrumors member

There's no chip in the center of the port to break.

16. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Lightning is actually smaller than USB-C. Maybe, Lightning should’ve been the next USB-C.

17. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502

I am still waiting for W1 chips to be supplied to third party manufacturers. I have Beats Solo 3 and AirPods, but I would love a high quality pair of noise cancelling, W1 equipped B&W or Sennheiser headphones.

18. NexusUser macrumors member

NexusUser

Since when has the MFi program resulted in lower prices?

19. rom3o macrumors member

Sarcasm? If not, what are the advantages of the lightning connector over USB-C?

20. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Anker charge cables are often cheaper than official Apple ones.

21. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Ugh. More headphone jack nonsense. They aren’t the only ones dropping it anymore and there are great alternatives they embrace. Wireless.
    except for USB-c?

22. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Wireless is an alternative to the 3.5mm jack, but it's not superior.

Why is there no USB-c on the iPhone?

23. outskirtsofinfinity, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

outskirtsofinfinity macrumors member

outskirtsofinfinity

"Lightning to 3.5mm stereo output plug."? LOL. Can't believe I'm reading this. What's next? Lightning to 1/4 inch headphone jack? I thought Apple had (finally) abandoned these vintage connectors. (And if they didn't, why even remove the 3.5 mm headphone jack in the first place?). As it is now, they're actually keeping that damn thing alive instead of (finally) killing it.

24. heov macrumors regular

No one's denying that. But it's not just about the connector- it's about usability. Why can't the iPhone have the same charger as the Macbook? Why can't it take the same accessories as the rest of the computer industry? What about the iPad?

Why doesn't Apple include a Lightning port on their Macbooks?

The fact is, the industry is on USB C, as is Apple for all their non-iOS devices. No we have to carry 2 chargers with us instead of one.

And technologically, USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 blow Lightning out of the water. But you know what, keep the lightning standard... just change the connector to USB-C (like they did with Thunderbolt 3),and use USB-PD.

25. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502

Well it's included with all iPhones that do not have a headphone jack. I think it's nice they offer a way for all those who still need this connection.