Apple Updates Numbers, Pages and Keynote for iOS and Mac With New Features

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its iWork apps for iOS devices, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote, to version 3.1, introducing a range of new features and improvements in each app.

[​IMG]

Pages, Apple's word processing app, has gained new text formatting options, bookmarks to link sections of a document, support for equations, Touch ID support for password protected documents, and more. A full list of changes for Pages is below:
    Numbers, Apple's app for creating spreadsheets, has new options to add new or historical stock information to documents, a revamped editing experience, a new action menu that makes it easier to get to the most common tasks, Touch ID support, and more. A full list of changes is below:
    Keynote, Apple's presentation app, includes an improved rehearsal feature with slide, presenter notes, and timer in one view, new options for customizing slide backgrounds, Touch ID support for opening password protected documents, and more. A full list is below:
    All three of the new updates are available for download immediately. Customers who already own Apple's iWork apps will be able to obtain the new updates at no cost.

Many of the same changes have also been introduced in Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for Mac, all of which also have updates available this morning.

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
    Keynote for iOS - [App Store]
    Numbers for iOS - [App Store]

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
    Keynote for Mac - [Mac App Store]
    Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]

Article Link: Apple Updates Numbers, Pages and Keynote for iOS and Mac With New Features

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Equations in Pages? I only asked for that while I was in high school and college (2007-2014). Too late to be useful to me, but if they'd done it ten years earlier, lab reports would have been so much easier.

I remember I spent some time trying to figure out how plugins in Pages worked so that I could add this feature myself... never was able to make it very far.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Nice features to add, but THE key feature missing from this version (that iWork 09 has, linked text boxes) continues to be MIA. :(

4. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Wait, we could not add sup and sub characters before? WAIT, it took them 7 years to add that feature!?

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Some good stuff, but I was hoping for TouchBar customization options. The huge style button is useless to me.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And here we are again! ;)

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

[​IMG]
    Yeah I know, I know. But having just returned back to Pages after a few weeks of using MS Word, I was reminded why I am most productive with iWork in general, and Pages in particular. I'll go from Pages to LibreOffice Writer and back, then to MS Word and back. When I need to create documents that require the features only available on Word or Writer then I'll use those, but otherwise. Pages (new and old versions) continues to be my go-to word processor.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Cool to see these apps continuing to get Apple's attention.

9. DogHouseDub macrumors regular

DogHouseDub

Superscript AND subscript?!? Apple, you've done it again!

10. AJ5790 macrumors regular

As a Physics teacher who uses Keynote to present in class I'm extremely excited. Nor does it actually matter that it Took them this long to get it done. It's done. That's all that matters.

11. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Numbers...still far from professional...

Pivots or categorise
    SQL Database link
    Goal seek, what if...

I gladly pay for a professional numbers

12. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Pages and Keynote replaced Word and PowerPoint for me, but Numbers has always been slow and weak compared to Excel, not even suitable for school lab reports.

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm 99% certain that those was available prior to the rewrite of iWork.

14. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Bookmarks and support for. LaTeX equations.

I LOVE YOU, APPLE!

Now, if you could support BibTeX as a honeymoon present, that would be great.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2017 ---
    And they were available after that. Not sure why Apple means by that. I've always been able to write subscript and superscript text

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

They might be referring to the iOS version.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Fortunately Pages 4.3 isn't completely broken yet. Don't know what I'd do without it. The way things are going, I think we will be lamenting Apple's lack of progress on the app this to our graves.

17. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Getting good with office software takes time and a lot of trial and error.
    I can't imagine many people switch from Word -> Pages or vice versa very regularly. Of course there will be some who have done, and reply to this post. But I'd bet the number is small.

18. AlexJaye macrumors regular

19. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

They've been available all along. I think what they're referring to is now you can put a formatting button on the toolbar instead of having to dig into the menu.

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Some of us have been using iWork for many years. The relatively recent reboot of iWork had gutted out functionality that was present in the previous version. That's what some of us are talking about.

Agreed. But I've had to relegate 4.3 to secondary status because I heavily rely on my 12.9 iPad Pro to do work in iWork. The interoperability and file compatibility between the latest macOS and iOS versions outweighs the benefits of the missing features. :(

21. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I've been using Nissus Writer more than Pages lately, and I've been pretty happy with it. These updates might bring me back. Built in equation support is nice, and RTF export is big (nice to be able to store stuff in a standard format).

Superscript, if I recall, took a few clicks to get right-- change the baseline, shrink the font... It was a pain if you wanted to inline math.

22. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Bookmarks, omg, bookmarks.

Seriously, as a self-published author of ebooks this... this just opened up my world.

I used to use Scrivener but switched to Ulysses when I got my MBP. The biggest problem with both is neither really supports the bookmarking features Amazon insists you have in your books. I used HTML to finish off my ebooks but now I can do it in Pages, which SHOULD be a lot cleaner and easier.

I guess I won't know until June when my next one comes out, but I just still can't believe they removed this feature in the first place.

23. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

That's my main regret as well. For over a decade, I've been using Pages for a monthly newsletter. When text flow was eliminated, it made my tasks a lot more difficult. I don't know why Apple hasn't figured out how to add the feature back.

24. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

iWork updates are funny enough the most exciting thing for me to come from Apple these days. Now if they could make Pages behave properly when it comes to inserting text boxes and images, like Pages '09, i would be so happy.

25. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Equations worked in Pages, probably as far back as 2007. I don't remember when they first appeared (I've used Pages since the beginning). You just need to install Mathtype. Nothing to figure out. Install and it works. The new equation editor is LaTeX based and IMHO is not as easy to use, but Mathtype still works.

It's always been there in the Mac version. The article is probable referring to Numbers in iOS.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2017 ---
    The problem is that they want the iOS and Mac versions to be compatible. iOS Pages has never had this feature, therefore it's unlikely to reappear on the Mac. Luckily Pages '09 continues to work when you need it if you had the foresight not to delete it.