Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
So? $50K is a high price for a fairly loaded 4 cylinder BMW 328i. You can get a similarly equipped Hyundai Azera for $15K less but that doesn't affect BMW sales one iota. Consumers that want BMW want BMW. Same goes for Apple. These are "aspirational" brands, not "penny pinching" ones. I doubt very few Apple customers switch to PC over price, they are already accustom to the price.

this analogy doesnt really work because parts are totally different in cars. You dont see a bmw german engine built in a hyundai. Some parts are cheaper and that changes cost. The only thing APPLE about these computers is the way they are put together and the case. All other parts are found in cheaper computers.
Cant say the same for cars even though they have similar performance.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple lowered the price, not Intel, and it was driven mostly by lower flash storage prices across the board (not just on the rMBP). Intel made some modest clock speed increases that may or may not translate into noticeable differences in performance.

So, we should hank Apple for ripping us off less than before? Apple lowered prices because people stopped buying Mac computers in Q4 (as evidenced by their last quarterly report). And Apple had to lower prices because their laptops were not price competitive.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
this analogy doesnt really work because parts are totally different in cars.

The parts that the user interacts with are totally different in apple gear, too.

As a beemer owner, I am telling you now, that the reason I bought BMW wasn't because of on paper spec, or that i have a few more horsepower or whatever.

It wasn't reliability either, because BMW's rep there isn't stellar.

It is the driving experience, the perfect balance of 50/50 weight distribution, the perfectly smooth drivetrain and lack of vibration, the way the interior trim fits together, the way the controls feel to use, the way the pedals are spaced for perfect heel+toe downshifting, the weighting of the steering, the braking feel, etc, etc. If you're after the 4 wheeled equivalent of a kitchen white-good, or if you're just chasing horsepower specs then none of that likely matters, and you'd consider the car to be over-priced.

However, I couldn't give a crap about the individual components inside the car - they are entirely secondary (or rather, merely a means to an end), so long as the driving experience is good.

Ditto for apple.

The product is more than the sum of the parts on the spec sheet. It's how they're screwed together, and the quality of the controls, screens, user interface, speakers, etc, etc.

Last edited:

JohnIV

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Is the Air price drop permanent, or do I need to buy right now? (I want to wait a few days to see what other stores will do, some haven't reacted yet.)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
They passed on some of the savings to customers, instead of keeping them for more profits.

When company is ripping customers off, normal ones simply buy products from other manufacturers. Cult followers pay exorbitant prices and thank those who rip them off at every price drop.

chronstixz

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
South Australia, Australia
Good move Apple.

I think this is a great move by Apple. They obviously thought that the Retina screens need to be more accessible to more people. The price drop on the 13" makes the computer MUCH better value for money. If I didn't have a 2012 Air I would probably be out buying the 13" Retina right now :p :apple:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So, we should hank Apple for ripping us off less than before? Apple lowered prices because people stopped buying Mac computers in Q4 (as evidenced by their last quarterly report). And Apple had to lower prices because their laptops were not price competitive.

When company is ripping customers off, normal ones simply buy products from other manufacturers. Cult followers pay exorbitant prices and thank those who rip them off at every price drop.

Two excellent posts.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Do you want to save money and use a 1366x768 Windows laptop with their crappy 3rd party system utilities and drivers? Be my guest.

I'm very happy with the experience of my Mac, it's worth more to me than what I paid for it. :D

And when a company makes their products better and cheaper, I'm thankful, not pissed.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Do you want to save money and use a 1366x768 Windows laptop with their crappy 3rd party system utilities and drivers? Be my guest.

I'm very happy with the experience of my Mac, it's worth more to me than what I paid for it. :D

Evidently you haven't seen what is available for Windows based laptops.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The parts that the user interacts with are totally different in apple gear, too.

As a beemer owner, I am telling you now, that the reason I bought BMW wasn't because of on paper spec, or that i have a few more horsepower or whatever.

It wasn't reliability either, because BMW's rep there isn't stellar.

It is the driving experience, the perfect balance of 50/50 weight distribution, the perfectly smooth drivetrain and lack of vibration, the way the interior trim fits together, the way the controls feel to use, the way the pedals are spaced for perfect heel+toe downshifting, the weighting of the steering, the braking feel, etc, etc. If you're after the 4 wheeled equivalent of a kitchen white-good, or if you're just chasing horsepower specs then none of that likely matters, and you'd consider the car to be over-priced.

However, I couldn't give a crap about the individual components inside the car - they are entirely secondary (or rather, merely a means to an end), so long as the driving experience is good.

Ditto for apple.

The product is more than the sum of the parts on the spec sheet. It's how they're screwed together, and the quality of the controls, screens, user interface, speakers, etc, etc.
i understand the difference in cars and computers but i dont think people understand specs and whats really inside of something.
most parts of a apple computer arent made from them. cant say that about car manufacturers.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Wow. Don't know what surprises me more, all the apple logos on those computers or the amount of kids in there and how close they all have to sit next to one another.

Wow, look at the kids in the picture, it's Apple cult, no individual personality.

Can the students use PC and save the money for text books, instead of buying expensive Apple laptop computer?

poorcow

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
London, UK
14 days - just back up your system and Apple will take that back and send you out a new one with the discount refunded.

Happened to me a few years ago on the black MacBook.

I'm in a rather unique situation....

To make the long story short, I am now typing on a 15" rMBP bought (from an Apple authorised dealer) on 7th Feb 13 in Malaysia, paid by my bro-in-law, receipt made to my name. I unboxed and registered it on the 9th.

The reason I bought mine in Malaysia: My 5 year old BlackBook died just before I left UK, and I wanted a rMBP with US keyboard, with UK plug, and it was available off the shelf in Malaysia.

I am leaving for London, UK (where I live) on Sunday 17th and will be arriving just before midnight. I can go to the Apple Store in Kingston (where I teach) on 18th Feb (11 days after date of purchase).

Will Apple UK exchange my existing with a new one? I can't seem to find an appropriate email address to write to Apple, just want to have something in writing...

Thanks in advance for any input.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
most parts of a apple computer arent made from them. cant say that about car manufacturers.

Sure.

My point is, to the end user, it is irrelevant. The keyboard, trackpad, screen, speakers, webcam and OS are what you interact with, and what defines the user experience.

it doesn't matter if the CPU is intel, powerPC, ARM or AMD. It doesn't matter if the video is Nvidia or AMD.

It's what the machine DOES, and how the user interacts with it, not what it is made of that is important.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
Evidently you haven't seen what is available for Windows based laptops.
Ok. Then show me my options (weblinks please). I'm looking for a small light laptop in the vein of rMBP 13" with more then just Intel HD 4000.

Minimum requirements:

2.6GHz dual-core (or better) Ivy Bridge Core i7
2560x1600 IPS LED-backlit display
8 gig ram (or more)
256 gig SSD (or larger)
USB 3
Bluetooth 4.0 + 802.11n
(prefer Win7, but i'll take Win8 and just reformat / install)

I'm assuming 25x16 13" displays are uncommon, therefore i'd look at 19x12, but nothing lower. Graphics wise, Nvidia / ATI doesn't matter, but at least 1gig VRAM.

I do find value in Mac OS X so i'm willing to pay around $300 premium over the bare parts alone (is that still the retail cost of Win7 / Win8, or has MS dropped that?).

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Sure.

My point is, to the end user, it is irrelevant. The keyboard, trackpad, screen, speakers, webcam and OS are what you interact with, and what defines the user experience.

it doesn't matter if the CPU is intel, powerPC, ARM or AMD. It doesn't matter if the video is Nvidia or AMD.

It's what the machine DOES, and how the user interacts with it, not what it is made of that is important.

You think ARM can run OS X Mountain Lion and give you good user experience.

How about Intel 4000 video chip for Mac Mini HDMI video? Good user experience:rolleyes:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Nonsense, it's because people have being buying them they're lowering the pricing. I know several people with a rMBP, only one has the 13" so Apple are doing something right here.

Obviously just another "Apple is Doomed" post. What a load of...

Taking it a bit personal eh?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You think ARM can run OS X Mountain Lion and give you good user experience.

How about Intel 4000 video chip for Mac Mini HDMI video? Good user experience:rolleyes:

You missed the point entirely.

Let me spell it out for you.

As an end user, for most people, knowing or caring what hardware is inside the box is irrelevant. It is what you see, touch and hear.

If the performance of X chip is bad, then it is the performance being bad that is relevant to the user, not that "oh it has X chip in it" that is relevant.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Ok. Then show me my options (weblinks please). I'm looking for a small light laptop in the vein of rMBP 13" with more then just Intel HD 4000.

Minimum requirements:

2.6GHz dual-core (or better) Ivy Bridge Core i7
2560x1600 IPS LED-backlit display
8 gig ram (or more)
256 gig SSD (or larger)
USB 3
Bluetooth 4.0 + 802.11n
(prefer Win7, but i'll take Win8 and just reformat / install)

I'm assuming 25x16 13" displays are uncommon, therefore i'd look at 19x12, but nothing lower. Graphics wise, Nvidia / ATI doesn't matter, but at least 1gig VRAM.

I do find value in Mac OS X so i'm willing to pay around $300 premium over the bare parts alone (is that still the retail cost of Win7 / Win8, or has MS dropped that?).

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro. I find value in MBP too, it's well built and very quiet. But I don't find value in Mac OS X because my key apps don't run on OS X. I bootcamp Windows 7.

Seriously, I'm looking for a Windows Laptop (Ultrabook) with very good LCD pannel, good colour, wide viewing angle and very low fan noise. It looks like only Apple does this kind of specification. I'm not saying other PC manufacturers don't know how to do it. But they just don't do something like Apple does.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
You missed the point entirely.

Let me spell it out for you.

As an end user, for most people, knowing or caring what hardware is inside the box is irrelevant. It is what you see, touch and hear.

If the performance of X chip is bad, then it is the performance being bad that is relevant to the user, not that "oh it has X chip in it" that is relevant.

Now I see your point, it's what they see, touch and hear from Apple's PRopaganda department "It's just works".

wdotwalker

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
Why can't the 13" MBP Retina have this?

Why can't the 13" have this, Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory like the 15"? I ask because I am about ready to part ways with the 15" retina until I found out I have more graphics power.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Why can't the 13" have this, Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory like the 15"? I ask because I am about ready to part ways with the 15" retina until I found out I have more graphics power.

The reason they dont have a 650M in the 13" is mainly because of heat. Apple uses every last bit of internal space in their laptops and they cant squeeze another fan into the already cramped 13". Maybe they could have fitted a 630M or something, but like I said, no space for cooling.
Another reason would be battery life.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky

I would like to think those 'normal' people would not come to a forum that is designed for that 'terrible' company and waste their life complaining about them. Instead, buy from another company and go to their forums. I bought a Jeep. I don't like Land Rovers. I am on many Jeep forums. I have yet to even know if a Land Rover forum exists much less spend time on those forums complaining how much they cost.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro. I find value in MBP too, it's well built and very quiet. But I don't find value in Mac OS X because my key apps don't run on OS X. I bootcamp Windows 7.

Seriously, I'm looking for a Windows Laptop (Ultrabook) with very good LCD pannel, good colour, wide viewing angle and very low fan noise. It looks like only Apple does this kind of specification. I'm not saying other PC manufacturers don't know how to do it. But they just don't do something like Apple does.
Well, if your key apps don't have a Mac version or don't lend well to virtualization then I guess you're stuck with either buying a Windows based laptop or just sucking up the cost difference doing bootcamp. But, having used OS X for 3 years now on my circa 2009 iMac there's no going back. Windows is trash and, good lord, now there is Windows 8 *cringe*.

When I visit friends (to play games) i've got a circa 2007/8 Windows laptop, but it's old and the graphics barely capable now. Obviously, I want to replace it with a MBP.

I want something thin and light. But the Air and 13" MBPs only have integrated graphics. I don't need the graphics card to set the world on fire (much less the laptop itself) but Intel HD 4000 is barebones. The NV/650m is much better and far out performs my current laptop, but the 512 meg VRAM (on non-retina) won't cut it for future games (and is more-or-less minimal for current games).

But, i'm not really interested in spending $2,200 for a laptop. So maybe I'll go with a refurbished 15" rMBP. But, even then, assuming a June / July refresh the referb prices would drop again. So I'm hesitant to spend now.

I'd really like a 13" rMBP with graphics, but that doesn't exist so, perhaps, i'll have to repurchase a Windows laptop. AppleScruff says there is plenty to choose from, but my cursory look around at Fry's and NewEgg, only turned up disappointing results. Maybe he can deliver here.

On the other hand, in a Windows based laptop I'm guessing i'd be at around $1,800. To get a MBP and OS X over Windows, I could see my self paying that $400 premium for a refreshed Haswell $2,200 rMBP. But, that's just me. I'm so not interested in Windows.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.