Apple Updates White MacBook - Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Z6128, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

Up until this morning I was planning on buying the 2ghz aluminum macbook. But apple just updated the specs of the white macbook to almost identical specs of the aluminum one. the only differences are the led screen, ddr3 ram, and the aluminum body of course. is there any reason i shouldn't just go with the white macbook and save myself $300?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't forget, you still get Firewire in the white model. Aluminum had Displayport and weighs a pound less. Resale might be better on aluminum.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You get firewire with the white one, too.

4. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

only thing that makes me nervous with the white one is the discoloration and cracking issues ive heard it has over time. but for a broke college student in need of a laptop any savings counts, and $300 is a lot :D

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Dude, definitely go for the white one.
    The cracking and discoloration issues aren't that bad. My dad has had one for a while and my step mom and neither of theirs have either issue. Plus it would be covered under AppleCare.

6. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

will the white MacBook have any issues as far as hardware goes upgrading to snow leopard when it comes out. i'd be maxing out the ram to 4gb shortly after getting it. i know there isnt too much known about snow leopard yet, but does anyone see a problem in upgrading a white MacBook in the future?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nope, the whitebook will run snow leopard like a champ.

I think all Intel Macs will, actually.

8. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

The white MB should run SL just fine (I speculate that was the reason for upgrading the specs). Personally, I would go for the 2.0Ghz Alu MB. IMO, you get better build quality, more sex appeal, and higher resale value. Have you considered a refurb?

Besides, if you were really strapped for cash, you would have bought a $400 PC notebook by now. If you're going to spend over $1,000, you want to make sure that you're happy with the purchase...

9. djkny macrumors 6502

So what's the limitation/issue with the mini-display port on the new alu macbooks? Sorry, never used this like-feature on older macbooks, so I'm out of the loop.

Does that mini require another adapter to plug in to most standard projectors, or...?

10. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really into reburbs. If I'm spending a lot of money, I want something new, not something that has been returned or used already, regardless of the savings.

I'm not necessarily strapped for cash, but I'm going to be using my tax returns for this and buying the white macbook would allow me to get more extras like bigger hard drive, more memory, laptop bag, Apple Care. Rather than only being able to buy the aluminum macbook.

Like I said, I was not considering the white one until now. I'll only be using itunes, safari, mail, and watching movies on my macbook so I don't need an extremely powerful computer, just something to last a few years until I upgrade like I normally do.

11. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You can put up the 6 GB of RAM in if you want later:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

12. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

anyone think it would be a bad idea to put a 7200rpm hard drive in the white macbook?

13. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

It will run your battery down faster, I am going to get one of these here soon I was leaning towards the unibody because of the graphics and the looks but I really like to have that firewire port and I have all the mini dvi adapters already that will not work with the new display port. I think its a great deal.

14. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

im either looking at a 7200rpm 320gb hd or 5400rpm 500gb hd. i have a ton of music and videos so i figured the 7200rpm would make more sense. just afraid of bursting my new macbook into flame sif i do that :(

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You make no sense. First you say you want a laptop for web/watching movies, then you say you want to put a 7200 HD in it. May I ask you... what for??? You mentioned that you have a ton of content and when HDs are filled it doesn't really matter if its 7200 or 5400. Definitely get the 5400 as you can get a lot more space for the same price. You'll thank yourself later.

Getting a 7200 HD for a laptop is necessary when you're editing video and or if you have money to burn with no need for space.

16. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the impression that the faster the hard drive was,the faster your information was retrieved. therefore if you have a hard drive with large files, or a large amount of content stored on the hard drive, the faster hard drive would decrease wait time when trying to load up a program like itunes that would be loading up all my music and videos whenever i go to open the program.

is this incorrect?

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Also, don't forget about the multi-touch, button-less glass trackpad that is included with the AlumBook and not with the WhiteBook.

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Faster HD will increase read/write speeds, yes, but the difference isn't that great, especially when the drive gets filled up. And besides, wouldn't you rather have 180 GBs more of space instead of slightly faster app load time?

19. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

True, I would also be upgrading the memory to 4gb too so I guess that would help with the speed of opening programs as well.

20. Cboss macrumors 6502

If you really want the faster drive and can wait a few weeks Seagate is coming out with a 7200 RPM, 500 GB HDD soon. You can already pre-order it on many sites.

I know I'm getting one as soon as they come out.