Carrier Apple Upgrade and At&t 45.00 Activation Fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imlynxy, Sep 7, 2016.

1. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Hello, I just have a question if At&t charges 45 dollars activation fee if I go with Apple Upgrade program this year?

Edit:
    P.S. Does T-mobile charge 20 dollars? Since it was rumored that At&t model would have this not MIMO 4x4 Intel outdated modem, may be it is better to buy T-mobile model, save 45 dollars and have a good phone?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

From this article: ATT Upgrade Fee Increase Because Why Not (April 2016)

"Are you buying a new iPhone or Android phone on an AT&T Next plan? $20. How about an installment plan? $20. Or perhaps you’re activating your smartphone on a new two-year agreement? $20 isn’t bad enough, so let’s make that one $45 — though this only applies to business lines since consumers no longer have the option of a two-year service contract.

Oh, and here’s our personal favorite: If you purchase your phone unlocked or you buy a phone from somewhere other than AT&T and activate it on your account, you still have to pay the $20 fee. Thankfully though, you won’t have to pay the fee again if you switch to a new phone that you purchase elsewhere.

Here’s the exact wording from AT&T’s site:

• Activation and upgrade fees for smartphones with AT&T Next® – Activation and upgrade fees are $20 per smartphone added or upgraded with AT&T Next.
    • Activation fees for installment agreements and bring your own devices – The fee is $20.
    • Activation and upgrade fees for two year agreement – Fees are $45. Note: Two year agreements are available only on select devices."

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Haven't had AT&T in a long while. The phone doesn't just work if you just swap SIMs?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No, that's what is usually called an "upgrade fee."
    Activation = new line/customer
    Upgrade = new phone

It's my belief that new lines/numbers and customers upgrading with NEXT pay $20.

However, current customers bringing you own device/ using the device elsewhere (swapping SIMs) have no fee.

5. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks.

I use my T-mobile lines for Apple Upgrade in this case (I don't want to pay 80 dollars for 4 of my lines). I know I can call At&t retention and ask them for a good will credit, but I better ask them for something else :)

My only hope is that new version of iPhone supports B30 and MIMO 4x4 for unlocked version on T-mobile or AppleUpgrade model supports MIMO4x4 and B30. I don't want to pay for Intel modem. Why should I pay the same amount for the less advanced model?

Last year only At&t model had B30 and I bought it and it is very useful on At&t network, they have plenty B30 in my area now.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    When you do Apple Upgrade they ask for you carrier account and reactivate your phone with a new SIM in the store. Tey can simple swap the SIM or let you do it, but not, they want you pay carriers 20 dollars upgrade fee. "One hand washes the other."
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I already said here Apple doesn't want to sell SIM free devices day one. Since they do not discount their phones I want to have my iPhone day one to get more for my money and when I use Apple Upgrade to get unlocked one they run your credit history and carrier account to charge an upgrade fee.