Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
How long are you tied to the carrier that you activate your phone with? The Apple Store gave me different time lengths. I wonder what you all have heard.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
How long are you tied to the carrier that you activate your phone with? The Apple Store gave me different time lengths. I wonder what you all have heard.

You're not tied to the carrier at all. You're buying the phone directly from Apple with no carrier subsidies.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
None. The AUP doesn't tie you to carrier at all.

Obviously if you're under contract with through carrier you have to fulfill that or pay ETF. But the phone upgrade itself doesn't extend any obligations with carrier.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
That's what I thought. But someone said that once it is activated...you have to stay for 60 days.

So if I want to try a t mobile sim and I have att...I can just buy one and pop it in now and try?

Reactions: Alexrat1996

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
None. The AUP doesn't tie you to carrier at all.

Obviously if you're under contract with through carrier you have to fulfill that or pay ETF. But the phone upgrade itself doesn't extend any obligations with carrier.

I paid off my next phone in full before I got my apple upgrade phone. So I assume I am out of contract now. I'll call and check. I am curious how much worse t mo is that att in my area.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I paid off my next phone in full before I got my apple upgrade phone. So I assume I am out of contract now. I'll call and check. I am curious how much worse t mo is that att in my area.

T mo is decent if you are in a bigger metro area. If you are a little more rural/smaller towns def not the way to go (if you want decent service!)

If you paid off the phone then no longer under contract :). I'm still on the older talk/text plan so I have a year to go on my contract. At least I can sell my current iPhone and get some cash for now. And be no longer tied to my carrier next year once contract expires :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.