Carrier Apple Upgrade Program and switching to TMobile from ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplePhy, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

after years of being on the grandfathered unlimited plan from att, decided this year to finally leave att.

I reserved my iPhone 7+ black 128gb through apple last nite, but when I was trying to checkout with the AUP, I couldn't select T-Mobile. I had to select att. Something about having to go in to a T-Mobile store to activate an AUP phone.

Anyone in a similar situation? Just curious to see why this is the case?

When I receive my now att activated phone, can I still take this phone to T-Mobile to make the switch?

I'm certainly not locked in to att again, since the AUP phone I'm receiving is unlocked, and theoretically should be easily switched to the GSM T-Mobile network?

2. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I did the same thing except I am already on T-Mobile. My wife is still on AT&T and the account is still under my name so I just used those creds to order. My plan was to receive the phone and just pop-in my T-Mobile SIM.

I'm glad you asked because I am curious as well.

3. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

I can understand why apple forces you to choose a carrier when buying the phone, so they may facilitate the process and activate a phone for you upon checkout?

Problem is, I read somewhere that once the phone is activated, you may switch to another carrier for whatever reason AFTER 12 months. Anyone know if this is true?

How hard is it to switch carriers when you have an iPhone through the AUP? And can this be done anytime?

4. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I would like to know this as well. I hope that is NOT the case.

5. justinf77 macrumors 6502

The phone is 100% unlocked. You can put in whatever SIM you want when you get it and it should work fine.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

For us changing from ATT to T Mobile and taking advantage of the trade in your phone for a Free iPhone 7 promo what do we do? It wasn't mentioned at all during the entire pre order process..

7. TBONE72 macrumors regular

This is good to know! So, if I take my newly delivered iPhone 7 and swap out the SIM with my T-Mobile one and then power it on...there is not activation to the AT&T network?

8. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

I had my iPhone 6s Plus from AUP for half the year and I switched to T-Mobile and all I had to do was throw a T-Mobile Sim into my Verizon iPhone and it worked in a snap unfortunately it didn't work out for me to stay with T-Mobile so I had to go back to Verizon which was also a snap all you have to do is put in the carrier Sam and it switches over within a few seconds

9. geoff5093, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Which makes it even more strange that you can't order an iPhone direct from Apple without tying it to a carrier.

10. TBONE72 macrumors regular

True......I don't get it.

11. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

View attachment 649846
    exactly.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    image.png
    is is true, then why does Apple say that if you choose ATT or TMobile as a wireless carrier, you will not be able to use it on Verizon or Sprint's network. They say GSM phones will not work on CDMA networks.

12. justinf77 macrumors 6502

That's just because the ATT and T-Mobile versions of the iPhone don't have the CDMA radio needed for use on the Verizon or Sprint network, but it's not because the phone is locked. You can buy the ATT one and use it on T-Mobile or any other GSM carrier.

13. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

But not on CDMA phones (Verizon, Sprint).

Good for me because I plan on switching to another GSM carrier (T-Mobile from ATT), but it's a bit misleading because the AUP literature touts the ability to switch carriers at will.

I'm sure some considering the upgrade program will be swayed by the 'unlocked' feature of their phones.

What if I wanted to switch to Verizon? I'd be out of luck. This is a huge caveat.