Apple Upgrade Program - Can you trade in a device with slight damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solideliquid, Jul 27, 2016.

1. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

My iPhone 6S+ has a very small scratch/crack in the glass, on the very bottom on the right side of the device.

If I wanted to upgrade to the 7 in September, would I need to use one of my Apple Care + incidental damage repairs prior to being able to upgrade? Or would apple consider this normal wear and tear?

I can't find anything official regarding this on the Apple Upgrade Program site.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. off_piste macrumors 6502a

I don't know and have wondered the same. Mine is in much worse shape so I'm expecting to have to pay the $100 + new monthly payment amount when I go in.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

General dings are ok and won't affect the value. A cracked screen will but it's very much dependant on how much damage.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

From the iPhone Upgrade Program Terms and Conditions:

Technically they could deny your eligibility for an upgrade as there is clearly a small crack on the screen. Ultimately it's up to the rep you deal with, though.

5. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

My 5s had actually popped apart due to the battery expansion issue (apparently), and the SoHo store took it no questions asked. It was fully functional though.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

This has nothing to do with the iPhone upgrade program.
    ---
    OP, I would go in on Sept 15th prepared to have to pay an additional $99, but you could leave the store not having to. As others have said, it really depends on the rep you get.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Was just going to post this.

OP, if getting it on launch day isn't a big deal to you, you could try a couple different stores to see if someone takes it as is. With a crack that small, you're bound to get a rep that just says "whatever" and does the upgrade.

8. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I traded in my 5s to upgrade to the 6s, and I was letting the OP know how Apple dealt with me on a somewhat damaged trade in. So it was relevant, and your "nothing" comment was unnecessary.

9. Mlrollin91, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Its not unnecessary and I stand by my point that its not relevant. The iPhone Upgrade Program has different guidelines because the device is owned by Citizen One. Apple is merely the middle-man when it comes to the UGP. Apple Store trade-in guidelines are extremely relaxed in comparison.
    Trading in for a store credit is different than trading in for the payoff of a loan. The UGP is essentially forgiving $400+ on the loan, Apple does not give near that amount on trade-in for store credit.

It even mentions in the contract that if there is damage you will have to use one of the AppleCare+ replacements before being able to trade the device in, hence the reason why they come with AppleCare+.

Edit: Rereading my receipt. You are required to have AppleCare+ according to the contract:

"Please note: should you wish to return the AppleCare+ portion of your iPhone Upgrade Program, you will no longer be eligible for the Upgrade Option. "

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Ok, that was a much better, informative answer, thank you for clarifying.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You're welcome. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I was just pointing out that they are not the same thing. I further clarified my response to you by adding this: "Trading in for a store credit is different than trading in for the payoff of a loan. The UGP is essentially forgiving $400+ on the loan, Apple does not give near that amount on trade-in for store credit." So that is the standards are different.