Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Apple upgrade program, don’t turn it in?

What happens if I do not turn in my phone X and give it to my husband?

Do they just keep charging me the same rate until the second year is up? And then it’s mine? Or, his.

Or am I required to turn it in and by not doing so is that somehow bad?

JFK1979

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Denver, CO
If you are upgrading that phone with a new one you have to turn it in because your loan gets canceled and a new one is started. If you want to keep it you need to upgrade as a new AUP separate loan.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
If you are upgrading that phone with a new one you have to turn it in because your loan gets canceled and a new one is started. If you want to keep it you need to upgrade as a new AUP separate loan.
Not true. When you upgrade a second new loan is created. Then when you turn in the old phone the first loan is ended. You can just not turn in the first phone and now you have two active loans.

I mean think about it logically. Apple is sending people new phones with an already active loan attached to it. What if the person doesn't send in the old one? Is Apple coming to your house to get it? I think not.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
You do not have to turn it in. You also have 2 weeks (i think) to change your mind. Last year I was going to give my phone to someone else, but then ended up taking it back to apple a week after upgrading to finish the trade in and cancel out my original loan.

Reactions: CarboysDesire

Evan Blue

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
I know with Verizon if you don't turn it in you have to pay off the remaining balance in full.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Under IUP
When you upgrade you get a monthly charge for the new phone
If you don’t return the old phone the old loan remains active and you will continue
To be charged monthly for the old loan too

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Why would you bother to upgrade a phone you are not going to turn in. Just get a new phone. Leave the other "loan" in place. Am I missing something here?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Can I turn in my phone after a year and not upgrade? That is the question :)
I’m thinking about getting off the iPhone upgrade program and switch to the att 30... or actually the cheaper iPhone upgrade program.. not sure yet. Although I’ve already ordered

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.