Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Hey-
I live in Vermont. No apple stores here. My other 1/2 is heading to Philly tomorrow and she wants a 6s. Is sales tax just rolled into the monthly cost or is it collected at the point of sale?

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Hey-
I live in Vermont. No apple stores here. My other 1/2 is heading to Philly tomorrow and she wants a 6s. Is sales tax just rolled into the monthly cost or is it collected at the point of sale?

You pay the first installment, tax on phone and AppleCare+

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Wouldn't it be better to do it in New Hampshire where there is no tax? You are awfully close to it.

Anyhow, after they did the credit check, my card got a temp authorization of monthly payment x 3 months. Then, 3 days later I got charged for my first month payment and the tax on the full price of the phone and applecare+. (Between $779 and $1079 depending on model)

Hope that helps.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Just paid 1st installment, $119. 64gb iPhone 6s plus.

Applecare+ is optional, you could exclude it during the checkout.

I believe that is different than the Apple Upgrade program then. They had two choices. Financing and the Apple Upgrade Program. The upgrade program requires AppleCare+.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

1. AppleCare+. The iPhone Upgrade Program includes the purchase of AppleCare+ and is subject to the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions. The cost of AppleCare+ is included in the Installment Loan.
  1. Conditions for Upgrade Option. You may exercise your Upgrade Option to purchase a new eligible iPhone, subject to availability, under all of the following conditions:
    • Payments. You have paid the equivalent of at least twelve (12) installment payments under your Installment Loan plus any taxes and fees paid at the time of enrollment;
    • Installment Loan. Your account with Bank is in good standing under the terms of your Installment Loan; and
    • AppleCare+. You have continuously maintained AppleCare+ with your Financed iPhone.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hey-

Just paid 1st installment, $119. 64gb iPhone 6s plus.

Applecare+ is optional, you could exclude it during the checkout.
This is INCORRECT

I believe that is different than the Apple Upgrade program then. They had two choices. Financing and the Apple Upgrade Program. The upgrade program requires AppleCare+.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/
  1. AppleCare+. The iPhone Upgrade Program includes the purchase of AppleCare+ and is subject to the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions. The cost of AppleCare+ is included in the Installment Loan.
  1. Conditions for Upgrade Option. You may exercise your Upgrade Option to purchase a new eligible iPhone, subject to availability, under all of the following conditions:
    • Payments. You have paid the equivalent of at least twelve (12) installment payments under your Installment Loan plus any taxes and fees paid at the time of enrollment;
    • Installment Loan. Your account with Bank is in good standing under the terms of your Installment Loan; and
    • AppleCare+. You have continuously maintained AppleCare+ with your Financed iPhone.
THIS is correct.

Reactions: melman101

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
This is good to know. I began the Apple Upgrade Program in Delaware, so there was no tax for anything. But on the receipt, it clearly says "First Installment Plus Tax."

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
This is good to know. I began the Apple Upgrade Program in Delaware, so there was no tax for anything. But on the receipt, it clearly says "First Installment Plus Tax."
Did you have your phone shipped to a sales tax state? I plan on picking up my phone at the Delaware store, so there shouldn't be a sales tax charge on it.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Did you have your phone shipped to a sales tax state? I plan on picking up my phone at the Delaware store, so there shouldn't be a sales tax charge on it.

No. I did it in person, which I believe was required at the time (and still is?) for T-Mobile sign ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.