Apple Upgrade program, Sales Tax?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vtgeek, Oct 6, 2015.

1. vtgeek macrumors newbie

Hey-
    I live in Vermont. No apple stores here. My other 1/2 is heading to Philly tomorrow and she wants a 6s. Is sales tax just rolled into the monthly cost or is it collected at the point of sale?

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Point of sale. You pay like 100 bucks at POS for the tax.

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

You pay the first installment, tax on phone and AppleCare+

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Wouldn't it be better to do it in New Hampshire where there is no tax? You are awfully close to it.

Anyhow, after they did the credit check, my card got a temp authorization of monthly payment x 3 months. Then, 3 days later I got charged for my first month payment and the tax on the full price of the phone and applecare+. (Between $779 and $1079 depending on model)

Hope that helps.

5. Americasteam macrumors member

AppleCare+ is rolled up into the monthly installments.

6. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Just paid 1st installment, $119. 64gb iPhone 6s plus.

Applecare+ is optional, you could exclude it during the checkout.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

I believe that is different than the Apple Upgrade program then. They had two choices. Financing and the Apple Upgrade Program. The upgrade program requires AppleCare+.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

1. AppleCare+. The iPhone Upgrade Program includes the purchase of AppleCare+ and is subject to the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions. The cost of AppleCare+ is included in the Installment Loan.
    1. Conditions for Upgrade Option. You may exercise your Upgrade Option to purchase a new eligible iPhone, subject to availability, under all of the following conditions:
      • Payments. You have paid the equivalent of at least twelve (12) installment payments under your Installment Loan plus any taxes and fees paid at the time of enrollment;
      • Installment Loan. Your account with Bank is in good standing under the terms of your Installment Loan; and
      • AppleCare+. You have continuously maintained AppleCare+ with your Financed iPhone.

8. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Yes but the tax on AC+ is paid up front

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This is INCORRECT

THIS is correct.

10. superflush macrumors 6502a

This is good to know. I began the Apple Upgrade Program in Delaware, so there was no tax for anything. But on the receipt, it clearly says "First Installment Plus Tax."

11. brianric macrumors regular

Did you have your phone shipped to a sales tax state? I plan on picking up my phone at the Delaware store, so there shouldn't be a sales tax charge on it.

12. superflush macrumors 6502a

No. I did it in person, which I believe was required at the time (and still is?) for T-Mobile sign ups.