Apple Upgrade Program - Unlocked, but Restricted?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Why does it say the phone is unlocked, yet requires you to tie your device to an account before ordering? As an example, I don't have a separate AT&T account, as my phone is tied to a corporate account. Obviously my company is not going to release the billing information for the corporate account, thus I cannot order a phone through the AUP.

Seems flawed in advertising, in that you can't just order the phone and make payments, without being tied to a carrier before ordering. Am I missing something?

Are in-store options different, in that I could 'buy' the phone under the AUP, without providing wireless account details, and bring my own, functioning, AT&T sim?

2. SunnyFL macrumors regular

My question is if I do the iphone forever through Apple and select Sprint does the phone have to be activated to the number you give them?
    My iphone on Sprint is on a corporate plan and I get the "We're sorry. Your existing rate plan isn't an eligible iPhone plan. You can contact your carrier to keep your current phone number. You can also create a new account at an Apple Store" message but me wife, hers is personal and it will go through. If I order a new phone with the iphone forever option and use her number and pin to get it will I be able to activate it on my number?

3. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think Sprint, uses Sim cards, right? So you can hot swap them out. That's how it works on AT&T, at least.

4. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

I'm hoping that I don't need a specific account for the network I picked.

I have AT&T currently. Reserved the Verizon 256GB black. Hoping I can just put my AT&T sim in it and walk out.

Only thing I am thinking is that it will need to "activate" with the Verizon sim in the phone then I can switch it. In which case I am screwed.

The 6s Plus I have is unlocked like the 7 I am getting so I was hoping there wouldn't be any issues since the Verizon version has all the network bands.

5. SunnyFL macrumors regular

When I went from the 4s to the 6 a few years ago I ordered the phone on sprint.com and they shipped it, all I had to do was go online and activate it replacing the 4s (there was no sim swap).