Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I’ve been using Verizon’s upgrade program for years. Pre-ordering has always been extremely smooth, plus I don’t have to go to store to pick up my new phone every year. There are fees like line activation, etc. with Verizon. Just curious which program is better overall, as I see Apple has a payment plan now. Not sure I would be able to switch over Apple anyway without first paying off the balance on my iPhone XS.

Update: Last-minute, I decided to switch to Apple's Upgrade Program and it was very smooth. Pre-ordering was pretty much on time this year with Apple, and it only took a few minutes to check out. My phone will ship free directly to my home. I like the idea of not being locked into a carrier, should I ever decide to switch, plus Apple has great customer support, and I will now get 3% back on payments. I guess I like the idea of my phone plan service being separate from my actual device.

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Good thing about iUP is if you use AC+, you just pay 1/24th a month, so if you upgrade every year, you only wind up paying for half of AC+, instead of paying it all up front and wasting the second half unless you want to go through the hassle of getting it refunded.

One other difference is you pay Apple with a CC separate from your plan. If you use VZW Installments, they roll into your bill.

And with Apple, I think you can do iUP with any iPhone they sell. I think VZW only does installments on the newer models. Or at least they only let you upgrade after 50% on the newer ones.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Apparently, Apple hard checks your credit when you sign up, but it looks like this applies to just the first year and not subsequent upgrades through the program. One advantage with Apple, is if you have the Apple Card, you get 3% back on payments, but that's only about $10/year. Another advantage with Apple is that if you wanted to switch carriers, you could do so without paying off the balance of the device. Verizon's insurance covers theft. Apple Care Plus does not cover theft or loss. Again, Apple doesn't have the upgrade or line activation fees.

Hmmm... I guess I'm still on the fence. I suppose since I've only paid for half of my iPhone XS through Verizon's upgrade program, that if I wanted to switch, I would have to pay off my phone first. I'll probably end up sticking with Verizon's upgrade program.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Good thing about iUP is if you use AC+, you just pay 1/24th a month, so if you upgrade every year, you only wind up paying for half of AC+, instead of paying it all up front and wasting the second half unless you want to go through the hassle of getting it refunded.

One other difference is you pay Apple with a CC separate from your plan. If you use VZW Installments, they roll into your bill.

And with Apple, I think you can do iUP with any iPhone they sell. I think VZW only does installments on the newer models. Or at least they only let you upgrade after 50% on the newer ones.
Aren't the iPhones also unlocked when you do iUP?

Reactions: compwiz1202

AndyDandy1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2018
Apparently, Apple hard checks your credit when you sign up, but it looks like this applies to just the first year and not subsequent upgrades through the program. One advantage with Apple, is if you have the Apple Card, you get 3% back on payments, but that's only about $10/year. Another advantage with Apple is that if you wanted to switch carriers, you could do so without paying off the balance of the device. Verizon's insurance covers theft. Apple Care Plus does not cover theft or loss. Again, Apple doesn't have the upgrade or line activation fees.

Hmmm... I guess I'm still on the fence. I suppose since I've only paid for half of my iPhone XS through Verizon's upgrade program, that if I wanted to switch, I would have to pay off my phone first. I'll probably end up sticking with Verizon's upgrade program.

Pros and cons of Verizon’s? Do you order it on Apple or Verizon’s site

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Pros and cons of Verizon’s? Do you order it on Apple or Verizon’s site
You order through Verizon's website. I've never had any issues with pre-ordering from Verizon, whereas Apple seems to have technical issues every year.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Some more information:

With the Apple Upgrade Program, there is a $199 charge for signing up to AppleCare+.

As I don't typically protect my iPhone with the AppleCare+ warranty, the iPhone Upgrade Program is more expensive than the Verizon Annual iPhone Upgrade Program.

If you're clumsy, you might find the iPhone Upgrade Program to be a good deal, since AppleCare+ provides coverage for accidental damage and charges just $29 for a screen repair.

If you worry about theft, Verizon has you covered. Although, Apple does offer AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss protection (from $4.16 more per month). That's around an extra $250 if you go through Apple.

So, in sum, I can either pay $41.66/mo through Verizon, or $49.99/mo through Apple and get AppleCare+. If my screen happens to crack under Apple's plan, I'm only out $29 as opposed to hundreds. For only an extra $8.25/mo, it's not a bad insurance policy. Hmmm...

Last edited:

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
I've used Verizon's DPP upgrade program for 3 years and I agree, it was effortless and worked well. I'm switching to Apple iUP this year because Verizon has started locking new phones for the first 60 days. While I can live with a 60-day lock, I really don't want to wait that long to switch over to eSIM and use another carrier in the physical SIM slot. So I'm going to attempt to do iUP through Apple and stick with that from here on out.

One benefit to Verizon is no hard credit hit for a loan. It's financing through Verizon with no credit check (at least not for me) and no credit reporting on loan payments. Apple's iUP does a credit check and is like taking out an installment loan. That can be very good on iUP if you're trying to add positive credit history, bad if you're trying to void hard credit hits and opening new loans for some reason.

The only thing that stopped me from doing iUP in the past was that it wasn't convenient during pre-orders. Also to take advantage of some Verizon promotions in the past, I had to do Verizon DPP. But this year I've pre-approved iUP in the Apple Store app (go do that,) I'm not doing any Verizon promotions, and I don't want a 60-day lock on the phone. Also, like last year Verizon seemed to have more stock for launch day whereas Apple went to delayed shipping a lot faster so it was easier to get what you wanted through Verizon. This year, I really don't mind if I have to wait a week or two. I don't need it day 1.

The smart thing to do is wait until Black Friday or Christmas when Verizon MIGHT run promotions, then pick one up which will likely require a Verizon DPP to get the credit. But promotions for the past two years were either merely trade-in credits or they required new lines of activation for the most part so I'm not waiting.

But we'll see. If it goes badly with iUP and Apple, I'll probably go back to Verizon and do theirs and just live with the 60-day lock. It's not the end of the world.

AndyDandy1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2018
I've used Verizon's DPP upgrade program for 3 years and I agree, it was effortless and worked well. I'm switching to Apple iUP this year because Verizon has started locking new phones for the first 60 days. While I can live with a 60-day lock, I really don't want to wait that long to switch over to eSIM and use another carrier in the physical SIM slot. So I'm going to attempt to do iUP through Apple and stick with that from here on out.

One benefit to Verizon is no hard credit hit for a loan. It's financing through Verizon with no credit check (at least not for me) and no credit reporting on loan payments. Apple's iUP does a credit check and is like taking out an installment loan. That can be very good on iUP if you're trying to add positive credit history, bad if you're trying to void hard credit hits and opening new loans for some reason.

The only thing that stopped me from doing iUP in the past was that it wasn't convenient during pre-orders. Also to take advantage of some Verizon promotions in the past, I had to do Verizon DPP. But this year I've pre-approved iUP in the Apple Store app (go do that,) I'm not doing any Verizon promotions, and I don't want a 60-day lock on the phone. Also, like last year Verizon seemed to have more stock for launch day whereas Apple went to delayed shipping a lot faster so it was easier to get what you wanted through Verizon. This year, I really don't mind if I have to wait a week or two. I don't need it day 1.

The smart thing to do is wait until Black Friday or Christmas when Verizon MIGHT run promotions, then pick one up which will likely require a Verizon DPP to get the credit. But promotions for the past two years were either merely trade-in credits or they required new lines of activation for the most part so I'm not waiting.
Thank you!! I seen there is an option to do it through Apple for Verizon device program should I avoid that and stick to Verizon’s site? And you think it’ll be available the 13th to pre order or after ?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I've been doing Walmart's Black Friday deal the past couple of years, buy a new iPhone get a gift card. It's two fold, I get a new iPhone, and the gift card goes towards Christmas presents. A new line has been required, so I swap my number to the new phone and sell my current phone, then cancel a line. Easy.

Reactions: RF9

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Thank you!! I seen there is an option to do it through Apple for Verizon device program should I avoid that and stick to Verizon’s site? And you think it’ll be available the 13th to pre order or after ?
You could try through Apple.com and pick Verizon DPP first, and if they don't have what you want jump over to Verizon.com and they'll likely still have what you want for delivery not he 20th. Last year I did exactly that for the Apple Watch series 4.

Going directly through Verizon should be straightforward and pretty smooth. Normally plenty of launch stock. You might just want to start there. Just log in and make sure you're eligible for an upgrade which means you're eligible to sign up.

There is a chance that if you get it at Apple.com it won't be locked for 60 days. There is a link "will my iPhone be locked" and it says iPhones sold at Apple.com are unlocked unless you get AT&T Next. It specifically says that Apple payment option are unlocked. It doesn't specifically say either way about buying on Apple.com with Verizon DPP but the language suggests it will be unlocked. If you get from Apple, it's sold and shipped from Apple. If you buy from Verizon it'll be sold by Verizon and shipped from Verizon fulfillment center and locked for 60 days.

If you don't care about the 60 day lock, I would just go directly to Verizon. I've had a good experience. They will Fedex it to you for arrival on the 20th, it can only be shipped to your billing address, and someone will need to be home to sign for it (else you have to drive to Fedex to pick it up Friday night.). If you go through Apple.com, your may be able to do in-store pickup, otherwise I think they use UPS.

Either way I you get Verizon DPP, you'll make you're payments and upgrades through Verizon.com.

I'm hoping to get mine at Apple.com this year so I can do in-store pickup Friday morning. I want to use iUP this time to try it, but I'll fall back to Verizon DPP if for whatever reason I need to. Hell, I could just pay for the phone but I intend to upgrade next year and would like to be on an upgrade program for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.