Apple Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnificant, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I was able to get a 7 plus matte black but stuck with the Apple Upgrade Program.

I want to buy it in full but it wasn't an option.

Am I going to regret going with AUP?

Can I join the plan and just pay it off in full?

2. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yep you can pay in full at any time, your loan will end!

3. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you still in the IUP or can you sell your phone anytime?

I just don't want to get screwed and be able to sell phone next September for iPhone 7s-8

4. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

How do you pay in full if you were being charged by AT&T on your monthly bill and there are still 8 months left?

5. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I signed up at launch last year, yes. Several months ago I had the DUMB idea to go over to Android (I ended up hating it and now I am back to iPhone, new upgrade plan now), but I sold both my husband and my iPhone 6S+'s and paid off the loan. It's super simple!

During the IUP, as long as you make the equivalent of 12 payments you can upgrade anytime. Or you basically upgrade each year at launch is the idea. But if at anytime you want to pay it off you just call and do that!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    If you are on the iPhone Upgrade Program the phones are unlocked and separate from your carrier. Your iPhone will be connected to your carrier but they have no further attachment to them. That's also why if you are not eligible for an upgrade through your carrier you can still get on the IUP. It's completely separate.

My husband is on the AT&T Next with his stupid Android phone and we still got him an iPhone 7+ using the IUP. We will pay off the Next and sell that other phone.

6. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you make the payments on your carrier bill or is it a separate bill through a credit company?

7. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Separate bill to Citizens Bank. It'll be on a credit card

8. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

So say I get the 7 plus tomorrow and enter into the IUP and pay off the phone within the first 1-2 months. Am I still in the IUP? Come next year do I have to purchase thru IUP if I want the iPhone 7s-8 or can I buy it in full like I did on previous launch days?

9. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

If you pay it off you are no longer in the program. I paid off both of mine in July, sold them. Started a new IUP when I ordered my 7+. A brand new loan.

If you're interested in just paying in full you might just consider that to begin with. Then you won't have a hard credit pull and have to pay for AppleCare+. I like AC but if that's not something you want, it is automatically rolled into the IUP loan. Just food for thought!

10. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I went onto Reserve and Pickup the only option was the IUP

11. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

You can reserve that way but they will ask how you wish to pay when you arrive. You can then pay cash and walk out or join the program.

12. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought they changed it a couple days ago to you had to join the IUP

13. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Thru the carrier.

14. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you sure.

One person said it's a credit card thru Citizens Bank. Nothing to do with carrier

15. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

IUP is through Citizens Bank and requires that you submit a credit card to make payments. You can change the method of payment after through their website. And yes they did change the wording requiring the payment option when reserving through IUP.

16. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Yes. My old phone was being paid that way. Not the new one.

17. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I have had a total of 4 phones on the IUP. I paid off 2 of them and I now have 2 new ones. The IUP is NOT through the carrier at all. Your phone is only activated through your carrier (and can be activated with ANY carrier as it's unlocked). Your payments are to Citizens Bank, they are financing the phone!!!

The carrier plans are completely separate!!