Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Hi all, my MacBook Pro came stock with a 120 GB HD and I'm starting to think about upgrading it. I know that replacing it is very cumbersome and I would do it myself, but I'm afraid of voiding my apple care warranty. So I'm now looking into having Apple upgrade it for me. Here are my questions...

1. Can I just take it over to the Apple store and have the Genius Bar do it?
2. How much will it cost?
3. Can I provide my own HDD?

I want to buy my own HDD because Apple tends to mark up their hardware prices.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered before. If this question has been answered before, if you could just be as kind to link me, that would be sufficient. Thanks!!

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
I know that none of the apple stores near me would do it because it would "contradict the system's specs" (as if I cared :rolleyes: ). I ended up doing it my self. just call around, you might get lucky (but you'll still end up paying an arm & leg for something rather simple)

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
An Apple-authorized mom and pop store might do it. It seems bizarre that Apple themselves wouldn't do it, although it could have to do with Apple not being able to cover an upgraded hard drive under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.