Apple Urging Major Newspapers to Join Texture Subscription Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has been talking with major U.S. newspapers about adding their content to the Texture magazine app that Apple purchased in March, reports Recode.

Eddy Cue and other Apple executives have spoken with the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post about joining the Texture service.

[​IMG]

All of these newspapers limit the number of stories people can read without a paid subscription. The Washington Post, for example, charges $10 a month for access, while The New York Times costs $15 per month and The Wall Street Journal costs $37 per month.

Apple's Texture app provides access to more than 200 popular magazines like People, The New Yorker, Time, National Geographic, Shape, Newsweek, and more, all for a $9.99 per month fee.

According to Recode, it's not yet clear if Apple is aiming to add stories from the newspapers to the same $9.99 subscription service or offer the content as a paid add-on, and it's not known if the news sites are interested.

Newspapers likely won't make as much through Texture as they do through their own subscriptions and may not want to be part of a bundled service. It is possible, however, that the news providers will opt in to Texture given Apple's active install base of more than 1.3 billion devices.
    Rumors have previously suggested that Apple is aiming to create an all-in-one subscription service that would offer access to digital magazines and news, Apple Music, and original television content, and adding newspaper content to Texture could be the first step towards that goal.

Article Link: Apple Urging Major Newspapers to Join Texture Subscription Service

2. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Pay for content from NY and Hollywood? Lol no not ever lol. I pay for adblockers to BLOCK "mainstream" content.

3. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Apple News is in the US, UK and Oz. So that 1.3 billion devices isn’t the best metric at this point. But the service will expand.

4. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Eddy Cue is on it so you know that this will be the next big hit for Apple.

5. PJWilkin macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for Apple Pay Cash to make it to the UK
    I won't hold my breath on Texture to make it to the UK this decade

6. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

This is a great idea. I’d love to pay one fee, even more than 10 bucks.

What I want is consistent, great design and interactions. Too many of these apps for contents are terrible experiences. Plus, they sell your information. I’d love Apple privacy.

Normally, in the past, I knew Apple would nail the design. But alas, this is Tim Cook’s apple. But I’m hopeful.

7. hagar macrumors 6502a

If this is anything like iBooks, the competition has nothing to worry about.

8. alexhardaker macrumors regular

I’m waiting for it too!

9. cmaier macrumors G5

This wouldn’t apply to you. The content is in English, not Russian.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2018 ---
    What’s the competition? Is there another “all you can eat for a fixed monthly fee” periodical service?

10. jhwalker macrumors regular

I would love this - really enjoying my virtual magazine rack for $9.99 / month - adding key newspapers would make it just so much better :)

11. ipponrg macrumors 65816

I don't think major newspapers are missing much by joining this subscription service. The people that are willing to pay for an individual newspaper are probably already subscribed. If major newspapers join this, then people that have paid individually will cancel and instead join this service. If Texture costs $10 a month and NYT costs $15 a month, why would NYT give up $5 a month to be on Texture?

12. CreeptoLoser macrumors 6502

CreeptoLoser

That doesn’t make sense unless you’re into alternative content like Infowars and comedy gold TV shows like Russia Moscow Putin.

13. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

So you’ll steal it but not pay for it. Interesting moral compass you have there.

14. rols macrumors 6502

They'd be giving up a lot more than $5 a month if you look at it on a per-subscriber basis, $10 is the subscription for *all* content, they'd just get a small cut of that just as all the other providers. How it would actually work isn't clear from the article however. Perhaps it would be another additional fee, perhaps it would only be a limited amount of content, if you want the full NY Times you'd stick with an NY Times subscription.

I think this benefits Apple more than the NY Times, so Apple may have a hard sell on their hands. For me, when I see the words 'monthly subscription' I move on, they're far too easy to subscribe to and much harder to leave.

15. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

This isn’t a bad idea. Print journalism is in the decline. A subscription service could be just the thing to save it.

16. Elian_Gonzalez macrumors member

Elian_Gonzalez

And yet, you probably claim that you *would* pay for X if the price was right.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2018 ---
    So, are we at version 3 or version 4 of Newsstand?

17. sw1tcher macrumors 65832

sw1tcher

$9.99 per month less Apple's 30% cut.

That doesn't leave much money to go around if there are over 200 magazines. That's pennies a magazine. Why would any media company want to be a part of this?

18. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I think apple’s thought process is that if they gain a lot of subscribers by bundling all this content the extra subscriber would make up the cost.

19. pika2000 macrumors 601

I have to give it to Apple for putting some effort into talking and negotiating with these archaic industries (similarly, the music and movie industries). Nobody else seem to put as much effort in pushing these oldies to embrace newer platforms and digital as much as Apple.

20. femike macrumors 6502

'The Washington Post, for example, charges $10 a month for access, while The New York Times costs $15 per month and The Wall Street Journal costs $37 per month.' .....
    These mainstream rags are the biggest fake news promoters in circulation. Paying for these to get news is absurd.

21. Justanotherfanboy macrumors 6502

Justanotherfanboy

Lol, Apple OWNS Texture... they’re not taking 30% from themselves.
    I’m unclear what you’re trying to say.
    Texture was obviously making $ before Apple bought them, and now will be more popular, reach a wider audience, & get more content- with Apple’s backing.
    Getting pennies from tens of millions of people immediately (and potentially billions, in the future) & staying relevant and open is MUCH better than receiving $10 from thousands, & eventually shutting your doors due to dwindling readership.

22. smaffei macrumors regular

You are exactly right.

I worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer / Daily News. Newspapers are severely cash strapped. They won't give up a single cent that they don't have to. They can't afford to. (I didn't see a raise in almost 5 years. That's why I left.) And, the margin Apple will give them will be much smaller than even what your example purports. It's not gonna happen.

You see, Apple is still trying to recreate the coup they had with the music industry. But, first off, Eddy "Nap Time" Cue is not the negotiator Jobs was. Secondly, the newspaper industry is much different beast than the music industry. Giving it all over to Apple is not in their best interest and they will never allow it unless the money is enough to subsidize the loss of online subscription revenue. All the value is in the papers' custom content (local and special interest stuff that is not on the AP wire). That's why Apple wants to partner.

Apple will fail in this endeavor (much like they did in the TV service) because they assume they have the upper hand in all negotiations. The only way Apple will get the papers to agree to it is by signing multi-year contracts that guarantee minimum revenue streams. Apple will never agree to that. So, DOA.

23. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Volume.

24. Johns12 macrumors regular

I find it funny that when people say Apple should lower their prices, the argument against that is they have a great profit margin. Now, print media, music, TV, etc, should make up the dollars by "volume". What's good for the goose I guess isn't good for the gander.

25. truthertech macrumors 68000

You may be on the wrong thread. This is about a potential subscription service. iBooks is about purchasing single items, so you are talking about two different categories.