Apple US v UK prices

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 14kvn, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 14kvn macrumors newbie

I am appalled at the difference between US prices and UK prices for Apple products - why the big difference ?

Latest examples - New Mac Book Air basic model $ 999 in US , £ 849 in UK . That's effectively about 33% more expensive in UK. ( $999 = £ 633 approx )

iLife 11 upgrade $ 49 in US , £45 in UK
    That's effectively about 45% more expensive in UK ( $ 49 = £31 approx )

etc., etc. >>>>>

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This is something that has bugged me for a while. I think however, there will be a reason. Possibly our government taxing the hell out of everything we import.

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

It has been discussed many times. The Apple US store doesn't include sales tax.

4. Phycoduck macrumors regular

Phycoduck

UK tax is only 17.5%.

IF you buy a high speck Macbook air with 4gb ram and 2.13GHz CPU, it will cost 1,142.39 GBP in the US.

Going via this price plus 17.5% sales tax, it should cost 1,341.85 GBP in the uk... but the real cost is 1,509.02 GBP.

thats an extra 150 GBP.... Why?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The various extra costs of doing business in the UK. There are numerous examples. One simple on is the UK distance selling rules. In the US if you purchase something online and don't like it/change your mind Apple get to charge you a 10% restocking fee which covers their cost when they then have to sell that opened item on the refurb store. In the UK they can't charge that 10% so have to take the loss themselves. This results in higher prices to cover this loss. There are numerous examples like this all of which drive up the costs here.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

they do it because they can, and possibly the exchange rate was different when they set their prices as they don't update the prices very often.

7. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I think only a month ago, the Canadian prices were ridiculously high, but everything was recently brought down by $50. I'm glad that Apple is staying on top of things, at least from the Canadian side.