Apple USB C to HDMI/USB/USB-C adapter power consumption

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iamnotme, Sep 7, 2015.

1. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

Can someone enlighten me? Last night I had the adapter plugged in to put my macbook on the TV via HDMI. When the movie was over, I unplugged the HDMI and closed the lid. Battery was at 60%. The adapter stayed in overnight. This morning when I opened it again, battery went down to 38. I'm just trying to clarify whether that adapter uses power even when the laptop is sleeping or am I just imagining things? I was really sleepy towards the end so I might be making stuff up :p

2. Hook85 macrumors member

Hook85

It may well be that because you left the adapter in the MacBook didn't go to sleep as it was detecting the adapter as an external device. When I have my adapter plugged in and shut the lid that machine doesn't go to sleep, it just functions in clamshell mode. You're best removing the adapter when you're done with an external display.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The Adaptor has "logic" inside and is much more than just a simple line splitter, so in use it will draw power and given it provides external video it will prevent the Notebook from sleeping.

Q-6