Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the usb connection crashing the entire system causing a restart. I was messing around with a usb mouse dongle and unplugged a cintiq usb adapter and it crashed the whole operating system causing a reboot. Another time I disconnected a usb drive without dragging it to the trash to disconnect it first and again it caused a system wide crash. Granted all of these where my fault but still it shouldnt cause a system wide crash causing a reboot. that is a little bit much.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Can't say I've had anything similar. I've always gotten the standard "warning: please eject devices" blah blah if I unplug an external without disconnecting first. I've even accidentally disconnected an external while doing a Time Machine backup and I merely got the warning. May be a fluky USB port? Did it happen on different ports?

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the usb connection crashing the entire system causing a restart. I was messing around with a usb mouse dongle and unplugged a cintiq usb adapter and it crashed the whole operating system causing a reboot. Another time I disconnected a usb drive without dragging it to the trash to disconnect it first and again it caused a system wide crash. Granted all of these where my fault but still it shouldnt cause a system wide crash causing a reboot. that is a little bit much.

havent heard such thing before unless it's related to a faulty driver or hardware problem. Do you have the crash log? are you using rMBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.