Apple USB Keyboard : are the USB ports "weak" ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cedricbd, Jul 21, 2010.

1. cedricbd macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a keyboard to use with my mbp.
    While reading the reviews for the Apple USB kb with num. keypad, I saw this review, and wanted to verify it.

"Apple New Wired Keyboard

Written by SG from Foothill Ranch 12-Aug-2007

Hooked up the new keyboard today and its is a real site to behold. Very thin and lite weight. The new key design has a great feel and very large keys so you don't make many mistakes.

THE ONE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH IT IS the two usb ports will not support an ipod. I have the video Ipod and I get a warning that the USB power is too low to power the attached device. I bought this key board to clear away clutter on my desk and hopefully eliminate a few cords. Unfortunately its not true and I was disappointed. I am very much an apple fan but the low USB ports were a not as advertised on the website."

Has anyone ever encountered any problem with those ports?

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Aluminum Keyboard from Apple can support one (1) high power device, like an iPhone or iPod.

I think any Mac made since August 2007 supports this high power keyboard mode. Any Mac made before this will not provide enough power to the keyboard to make one of the USB ports a high power one.

PS: It will NOT charge an iPad.

3. cedricbd thread starter macrumors newbie

well..
    thanks for the (really!) quick reply; exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell