Apple USB Modem Conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Unspeaked, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So, I was browsing the Apple Store online and the Apple USB Modem is a $49.00 add on to an existing purchase.

It's also $49.00 to purchase outright without adding it on to a machine purchase.

However, adding it to a MacPro tower costs $50.00! Why is this...!?

Does Apple do this thinking that when it's added to a minimum $2,799.00 purchase, the buyer won't easily notice the $1.00 markup? How much have these extra dollars added to Apple's bottom line over the course of the MacPro's life-span?

Perhaps the real reason for Apple's surging stock price in the past year has been these extra dollars slowly accumulating in the Cupertino coffers.

With the looming recession, I think it's only fair to warn potential buyers of this 2.04% markup...

2. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Since you are getting it with a Mac Built-To-Order, it takes some labor to actually place the modem into the Mac box. It's $1.00 cheaper just to order it separate on its own off the shelf.....

:D

4. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You know, you might be on to something.

At first I thought this couldn't be, because it still costs $49.00 to add to a laptop or iMac - either of which involves placing it into a box.

But as anyone who owns a tower knows, those boxes are pretty darn heavy and the $1.00 surcharge might be a labor fee.

I'll have to email Steve Jobs about this and get his opinion.

;)

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

maybe thats why they charge you an extra dollar. confusion.

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Maybe there's a power user who does amazing Photoshop work and needs a very high end machine, but lives in the Appalachian mountains and can get neither cable nor DSL installed, nor has a clear line of sight to allow for internet via satellite.

Did you ever think of that?