Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
So, I was browsing the Apple Store online and the Apple USB Modem is a $49.00 add on to an existing purchase.

It's also $49.00 to purchase outright without adding it on to a machine purchase.

However, adding it to a MacPro tower costs $50.00! Why is this...!?

Does Apple do this thinking that when it's added to a minimum $2,799.00 purchase, the buyer won't easily notice the $1.00 markup? How much have these extra dollars added to Apple's bottom line over the course of the MacPro's life-span?

Perhaps the real reason for Apple's surging stock price in the past year has been these extra dollars slowly accumulating in the Cupertino coffers.

With the looming recession, I think it's only fair to warn potential buyers of this 2.04% markup...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Since you are getting it with a Mac Built-To-Order, it takes some labor to actually place the modem into the Mac box. It's $1.00 cheaper just to order it separate on its own off the shelf.....

:D

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Since you are getting it with a Mac Built-To-Order, it takes some labor to actually place the modem into the Mac box. It's $1.00 cheaper just to order it separate on its own off the shelf.....

:D

You know, you might be on to something.

At first I thought this couldn't be, because it still costs $49.00 to add to a laptop or iMac - either of which involves placing it into a box.

But as anyone who owns a tower knows, those boxes are pretty darn heavy and the $1.00 surcharge might be a labor fee.

I'll have to email Steve Jobs about this and get his opinion.

;)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Why would a Mac Pro need a USB modem anyway :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe there's a power user who does amazing Photoshop work and needs a very high end machine, but lives in the Appalachian mountains and can get neither cable nor DSL installed, nor has a clear line of sight to allow for internet via satellite.

Did you ever think of that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.