Apple USB Modem discontinued?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hayesk, Aug 11, 2009.

1. hayesk macrumors 65816

Has the Apple USB modem been discontinued? I am not able to find it on their online store (searching for "modem" revealed nothing).

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink they came to the conclusion that dial-up is not really used.

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Interesting observation--I can't find any news about it being discontinued, but I can't find it either (neither as a standalone item in the store nor as a bundled purchase with a new computer). It is still listed on Amazon (through J&R). The UK store still has it, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if other international stores still did, too.

Check back again later--perhaps they're just updating the store (although WHY, since they're surely not changing the modem!) or experiencing some glitch. Otherwise, congrats: you've discovered an unannounced product discontinuation. :)

4. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Guys, I need to be able to fax occasionally from my MacBook Pro. Is there a third party product that is compatible? The Apple branded modem doesn't appear in the Canadian online store. I haven't checked anywhere.

Thanks,

Daze

5. hayesk thread starter macrumors 65816

Zoom makes a Mac-compatible model (model 3095). There are a few others that I don't recall right now.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

http://www.sigelectronics.com/Apple...pple-USB-Modem-Computer-w-PowerPC-G4-or-later

Can't vouch for their service online, but their retail store by me is great to buy from.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Did you notice it says "Ships: 3-4 months"?

8. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

U.S. Robotics makes a Mac-compatible USB modem: http://www.amazon.com/56K-USB-Modem...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251765698&sr=8-2

The big thing to look for in a compatible modem is for it not to be a "Winmodem" (sometimes called a "softmodem," i.e., a modem that has less complicated hardware and relies on the computer's CPU and whatnot to do some of its work--but some softmodems are Mac-compatible, and, in fact, I'm certain Apple's own was just a softmodem that happened to have Mac driers. Most won't).

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting, the NZ store has it within 24 hours. I wonder whether there are regional variations with modems (I'm doubtful; I used to use a US-purchased iBook over here, all it took was an adapter to allow it to be connected to a BT socket).

10. MacFenton macrumors newbie

Other choices

Zoom Telephonics does make a USB modem, but their product has always been iffy in terms of quality control. US Robotics makes a nice and fairly inexpensive USB modem for Macs, their USR5637 gets good reviews. Enough so that I purchased on last night from Amazon for under $50 and shipping was FREE with their SuperSaver shipping (5-9 days). Supra from Diamond Multimedia would be the best IF they made a USB modem for Macs.
    See http://www.amazon.com/56K-USB-Modem...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253496535&sr=8-1

Hope this helps you. :apple:

Steve

11. Buzz Bumble Guest

I saw a couple on the pegs at Dick Smith last week too priced at NZ$99.

The website for the TotallyMac mail order store in Hamilton says they have 52 of them in stock priced at NZ$98.01. :rolleyes: They also have two of the "old" Global Village modems for use with older serial port Macs (the same model I use with my Mac).

12. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Dick Smith Australia still has them stocked in some shops. But online it says they are backordered until the 14th of November.

Maybe Apple only manufactures bulk quantities of them at certain times of the year.