Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Has the Apple USB modem been discontinued? I am not able to find it on their online store (searching for "modem" revealed nothing).

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Interesting observation--I can't find any news about it being discontinued, but I can't find it either (neither as a standalone item in the store nor as a bundled purchase with a new computer). It is still listed on Amazon (through J&R). The UK store still has it, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if other international stores still did, too.

Check back again later--perhaps they're just updating the store (although WHY, since they're surely not changing the modem!) or experiencing some glitch. Otherwise, congrats: you've discovered an unannounced product discontinuation. :)

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
Guys, I need to be able to fax occasionally from my MacBook Pro. Is there a third party product that is compatible? The Apple branded modem doesn't appear in the Canadian online store. I haven't checked anywhere.

Thanks,

Daze

hayesk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Guys, I need to be able to fax occasionally from my MacBook Pro. Is there a third party product that is compatible? The Apple branded modem doesn't appear in the Canadian online store. I haven't checked anywhere.

Zoom makes a Mac-compatible model (model 3095). There are a few others that I don't recall right now.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
U.S. Robotics makes a Mac-compatible USB modem: http://www.amazon.com/56K-USB-Modem...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251765698&sr=8-2

The big thing to look for in a compatible modem is for it not to be a "Winmodem" (sometimes called a "softmodem," i.e., a modem that has less complicated hardware and relies on the computer's CPU and whatnot to do some of its work--but some softmodems are Mac-compatible, and, in fact, I'm certain Apple's own was just a softmodem that happened to have Mac driers. Most won't).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Did you notice it says "Ships: 3-4 months"?

Interesting, the NZ store has it within 24 hours. I wonder whether there are regional variations with modems (I'm doubtful; I used to use a US-purchased iBook over here, all it took was an adapter to allow it to be connected to a BT socket).

MacFenton

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Central Florida
Other choices

Thanks,

Daze

Zoom Telephonics does make a USB modem, but their product has always been iffy in terms of quality control. US Robotics makes a nice and fairly inexpensive USB modem for Macs, their USR5637 gets good reviews. Enough so that I purchased on last night from Amazon for under $50 and shipping was FREE with their SuperSaver shipping (5-9 days). Supra from Diamond Multimedia would be the best IF they made a USB modem for Macs.
See http://www.amazon.com/56K-USB-Modem...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253496535&sr=8-1

Hope this helps you. :apple:

Steve

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Interesting, the NZ store has it within 24 hours. I wonder whether there are regional variations with modems (I'm doubtful; I used to use a US-purchased iBook over here, all it took was an adapter to allow it to be connected to a BT socket).

I saw a couple on the pegs at Dick Smith last week too priced at NZ$99.

The website for the TotallyMac mail order store in Hamilton says they have 52 of them in stock priced at NZ$98.01. :rolleyes: They also have two of the "old" Global Village modems for use with older serial port Macs (the same model I use with my Mac).

Hot Snowboarder

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
Behind you...!
Dick Smith Australia still has them stocked in some shops. But online it says they are backordered until the 14th of November.

Maybe Apple only manufactures bulk quantities of them at certain times of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.