Apple USB SuperDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SD-B, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Have an Apple USB SuperDrive, brand new about 1.5 years ago. Just used for the first time.

Had to install on an old 2009 MBP for backup and original Snow Leopard disc I had for that laptop.

Apparently it would not read the OS and some other no name drive had to be used.
    (read music, movie dvds,)

Should that be considered peculiar to these drives, or not?

T.I.A.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Your Mac is not listed in the System Requirements:
    "System Requirements
    Compatible with the following computers:
    MacBook Pro with Retina display
    MacBook Air
    iMac (late 2012) and later
    Mac mini (late 2009) and later
    Mac Pro (late 2013)"

I have found that the Apple USB Superdrive does not work well with Macs that originally came with a built-in Superdrive and that are not on the System Requirements. It seems it was designed to support the newer Macs that did not originally have built-in drives.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

As I recall, the original Apple Superdrive required more operating current than most standard USB ports could supply. However, the Mac computers released at that same time had special high-power ports which would work with the Superdrive on models that didn't have one built-in. Unless Apple has redesigned the newer produced Superdrives to require less power, I would assume the compatibility with the newer Macs is reliance on the higher power available from USB 3.0 standard ports.

4. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

The Superdrive I bought along with my 2011 Mac Mini worked just fine with the Mini, which only had USB 2.0 ports.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yeah, mine too. I think those USB 2 ports are actually higher current than spec.

Minis 2009 and later are approved.

6. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Apple quietly changed the model number and maybe even the specs. You might need the older Suerpdrive. They look identical.

Apple USB Superdrive (MD564LL/A) - current model

Apple USB SuperDrive (MD564ZM/A) - last gen.

7. shoehornhands macrumors regular

I got a Samsung external / USB DVD RW drive off Amazon for like $20. I've used it with several MacBook Pros, and a MacBook Air (as well as a Lenovo laptop, and a couple of desktop PCs), and it was simply plug-and-play with all of them.

Functionally speaking, there's nothing special about a "superdrive" as Apple doesn't manufacture the hardware. It's just a generic LG / Samsung / Toshiba (whichever OEM/s give Apple the best deal) drive.

I'd recommend you simply purchase one of these generic drives (just read through the reviews and questions on Amazon and you can likely find reports from people with your exact model). If you search a bit, you can probably find the exact model/s Apple uses for the superdrive.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

shoehornhands is right.

A 3rd-party USB CD/DVD drive will do the job, at a fraction of the price.

I've gotten excellent service from a Samsung "906" CD/DVD/Bluray drive (but it was more money). I believe the latest versions of the Samsung now support M-DISC technology, as well.