apple user ID and network/computer user ID

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by myotis, Jun 6, 2014.

1. myotis macrumors member

I don't actually know how to ask this, and may be such an obvious answer that I will feel a bit of an idiot, but...

I am getting a Macbook Pro to replace my Windows desktop at work.

Assuming it is set up like my existing Windows desktop, then it will be set up so the Macbook user name will be the same as my network login name.

What I am confused about is whether I will be able to use my personal Apple user ID/Account to install programs from the Apple store onto this work computer. I already have several programs on my personal account that I would want installed onto my work computer.

There is no university policy restricting me from installing programs, I'm just not sure how the app store links users to computers, or whether I can install a program with my personal apple id to a computer I don't "own"

As I say the answer may be obvious, but I am a bit confused.

Cheers,

Graham

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

You're mixing Apples and oranges...

There are two different logins and passwords used when you download and install an app from the App Store.

#1 - The Apple ID and password that you use to purchase/download apps and music from iTunes and App Store.

#2 - The computer administrative username and password that is used to get permission to install a program on the computer.

There's nothing to stop you from purchasing/downloading from the App Store using your personal iTunes/App Store account on a computer you don't own. Per Apple's FAQ:
    Now, you are personally limited by Apple to having 5 computers "authorized" to your iTunes Store account. That limitation does not apply to the Mac App Store, but it will apply if you're planning to use iTunes on your work computer (downloading/playing music, syncing an iOS device, etc.). If it happens that you already have 5 computers authorized, you'll have to de-authorize one of those computers before you can authorize the new one. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

However, all this may be tempered by employer policy. They may be centrally managing matters like OS X and key application installations/updates - it's best to ask what you can and can't do using your personal Apple account.

3. myotis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I did suspect this might be the case, hence my initial line.

But that sounds fine, and unless the University has a different policy for macs to PCs, I am free to install anything I want to.

I have three Macs authorised at the moment, so that should be fine as well.

Cheers,

Graham

4. NukeIT macrumors regular

One thing that you may run afoul of is the "personal use" disclaimer. If you are using the apps you bought on a personal account on a commerical/institution machine are they still "personal use" or commerical??

I am not allowed to load anything on my work laptop that isn't bought and paid for by my company since the license for a company is different then a private use license.

5. myotis thread starter macrumors member

Well, as I said, there are no restrictions placed on Windows machines, so I don't see that being a problem with the Mac. There are occasional checks to see that appropriate licenses can be produced.

But it's possibly a grey area, as the apps I am talking about are personal productivity apps, and in this instance, I realise that as I have been using my personal Macbook for all my work computer needs for a couple of years now, I'm not sure how different things will be in terms of licensing.

But a good point to raise.

Cheers,

Graham