Apple using different SuperDrives for new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HSE, Nov 8, 2008.

1. HSE Guest

I just picked up a MacBook 2.4 GHz with 4 GB RAM and SSD. My buddy ordered the same model but with the standard HDD. So, when I wake or start-up my MB, I get that harsh SuperDrive noise - much like the noise I had on my old MBP. Still somewhat annoyed by it, but I've gotten used to it.

My friend's MB, on the other hand, makes a much quieter noise and only lasts a split second compared to mine; much more tolerable. Looking at the specs, I have the Matshita drive (same as my old MBP) and he has one called HT-L or something - can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyone know why Apple is using different SuperDrives? There's probably nothing I can do about it at this point, but I was just curious.

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have that also. I had the 2.0 Alu. and traded it in for the 2.4 Alu. and they super drive is louder, but it works perfect. I took it to the Apple Store and they said it was normal. A co-worker also has the 2.4 and his wife has the 2.0 (Both Alu Macbooks) and they noticed it also. I figured as long as it works and only does it when I wake it up, i can live with it.

3. HSE thread starter Guest

He actually has the 2.4 though. I guess it's just a luck of the draw :rolleyes:

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have the HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N, but I don't think it's any quieter. It sounds exactly the same as all my previous macs (black MB, white MB, 12" Powerbook).

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I called my friend at work and he told me the 2.4 is more quieter, so it is luck of the draw. As long as it works, i don't really mind it.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

My 2.0 is MUCH quieter than my old 2.2GHz MacBook was.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

My 2.4 Unibody MacBook's optical drive is really quiet upon waking up. Much, Much quieter than my old Black MacBook. I don't know the manufacturer but will check it once I get home.

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I have the HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N which is apparently an LG drive. It is really quite.

10. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

Same, only a quick quiet sound

11. chill. macrumors 6502

i have a standard 2.4 with a matshita superdrive

it is very loud, but it only happens on startup/waking up from sleep/loading CDs. i don't mind it that much as long as it works

12. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502