Apple Virgin - Why should I say yes to SJ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by county mountie, Sep 9, 2007.

1. county mountie macrumors newbie

Okay here's the situation. I currently run a Toshiba laptop with a pentium III, 256MB memory and 20 GB hard drive. This morning it took a ridiculous 7 minutes to boot up and the frustration has got the better of me. A new computer is not just desirable - it is essential!

I am a bit of brand tart and have no loyalty whatsoever to Mr Gates or Jobes but I have to be honest and say that I am intrigued about the 'apple concept'. I am computer literate but in no way could anyone call me a 'techie'. When i look at the apple specs and compare them to PC's it appears on face value that the apple's a somewhat more expensive than the PC's and the specifications appear to be lower.

I will be using the computer to run office applications, project software, photoshop and video editing (not professional - just stuff as part of my outdoor ed business - promotional photos/videos). I appreciate that this is an apple forum and as such there is likely to be bias in favour apple but here's the question - why apple?

I really would appreciate some honest feedback on the question ( i am already sold on the aesthetics - but that alone does not make a great computer). I am considering an imac but a powerbook pro may also be considered if the argument is strong enough.

Anyone help me to convert to apple? please?:eek:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because it all works together seamlessly and despite the complaints you read here, Apple has a very good reputation for reliability and value.

No amount of words will convince you unless they're from recent and pleased switchers. The proof is in the pudding. Besides, how do you think Apple got this brand loyalty in the first place?

Furthermore, spec comparison is a minefield and often needs a very careful line by line comparison. And what good are specs if you can't get the damned thing to do what you want, or you're ridding your machine of malware every week?

If you're into video, the Macs come with a suite of software called iLife apps that you would find hard to replicate on a PC without spending even more money.

Edit: I'm sorry, that all sounds terse. Truth is, not a week goes by where someone asks the forums to 'convince' them of why they should buy a Mac. The evidence is all around to read on this board and others, and many people here aren't that biased, it's just that they've been through the Windows side of things and found it severely lacking.

Welcome to MacRumors; we're really friendly... for the most part. ;)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The only thing you might want to be wary of is the project applications since AFAIK there's nothing compatible with MS Project on the Mac side. There are a few project apps but I don't think they're as developed as Project is (then again, I find Project too complex for all but the biggest projects where the entire business is bought into using it and updating it so it's not a deal killer). But you could always run Parallels to keep that app if you only needed it occasionally.

To be honest, it's Mac OS X that keeps me on a Mac rather than just the aesthetics around the hardware. It just works better for me. I use a PC at work still. And both platforms have their quirks - I just don't want to throw my Mac out of the window as often as I do my office PC ;)

I'm not a recent switcher. I had a Mac back in the System 7 days (early 90s) and went to Windows post Win95 since the hardware was cheaper. When I friend suggested I look at Apple in 2003 for my laptop, I was deadset against the idea until I actually used hers for a while. I'm still using that Powerbook nearly 4 years later and it's a workhorse that is possibly my favourite computer ever. I'll be adding a new iMac later this year (post-Leopard). I'm not rabid enough to say that I'd never buy a PC again but at the moment, I feel that the Mac offers the better experience.

Where the Macs often look poorer in hardware specs are where it comes to media readers and TV tuners. But it does kinda depend on how many media readers you need to be able to read and how often. I don't need one on a daily basis so it's just as easy for me to buy a USB one and plug it in occasionally. TV - I watch on my TV not on my Powerbook - but again, it's easy enough to buy an add-on should I want it later.

4. county mountie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Blue velvet and Applespider for your prompt replies. I have to confess that whilst I am aware that a like-for-like spec comparison is no guarantee of an even race, the actual techie aspects are beyond me (unless someone can put it across in 'idiots guide to' format).

Will the release of the new Intel chipsets likely see an update to the new imacs or do apple tend to have product cycles that prohibit the adoption of new technology? I'm guessing those long term users will be more aware of such issues.

5. cube macrumors G5

You can run Windows ($) at the same time as Mac OS X with Parallels ($) or VMware ($).
    You can boot in one of OSX or Windows ($) with BootCamp (free).
    Some Windows applications might run OK under OSX with CrossOver ($). That way you don't need Windows (careful, you still could run Windows malware, too).
    If you don't want to spend money on CrossOver, you could try Wine (free), which is its basis.

6. hingedshinobi macrumors newbie

I bought my first iMac (20 inch) on wednesday and was incredablly pleased with it, until yesterday when it wouldn't turn on. Apple Tech Support said there was no way of checking the powerlead and told me to phone up the store I bought it from, so I did. And they hung up on me. And were really rude when I phoned them back.

I couldn't book an appointment to see a mac genius, which was fine by me because I just wanted a new iMac that worked. They swapped it over no problem and so far so good. Except that my Team America DVD was in the old iMac and I couldn't get it out so Apple Store WestQuay now has a copy of Team America.

The only thing I miss from Windows is the games I used to play. I can't get bootcamp to work, it partitions the drive but Windows XP can only see one partition when I go to install it and it isn't the size I set it to be. I have no idea why, I'll just wait till Leopard comes out and hopefully it'll work for me then.

The mouse and keyboard are amazing and, despite reading what other people had to say the screen is superb, I've got a picture of some woods as my background and it's like looking out a window. I do have a little problem with the font, it seems quite blurred in places but I found a setting in the preferences that fixed it a little bit.

I suggest you buy one, they are an amazing bit of kit.

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Ok... start looking a bit closer, the spec of the Macbook Pro puts to shame the majority of laptops out there you can buy, the iMac is a solid desktop with a core 2 duo 2.8Ghz, and lets just throw in there the Mac Pro which is to my knowledge the most powerful tower money can buy.

Then on top of that throw OSX into the mix, the worlds best operating system that only runs on Mac which is also the only platform that can run all the major operating systems.

Seems pretty hard to beat IMHO.

8. PhilS1121 macrumors newbie

My oldest daughter a Toshiba notebook that I bought her for college. It eventually died a slow, agonizing painful death, afer less than three years of use.

I had to buy a new notebook for my youngest daughter for college. I purchased a notebook from Dell with Vista Home Basic. I spent about 12 hours over two weekends trying to get it to run right. It eventually had a hardware problem and a software problem that was caused by the Dell folks trying to fix it remotely. All through the process of setting up this computer, I wanted to either smash the computer with sledge hammer or kill myself.

I eventually sent the Dell back for a refund and purchased a macbook for my daughter in its place (based upon my older daugher's advice who uses a mac at her job -- she kept telling me "Daddy, you won't get angry at the mac like you do at the PC"). It took me a half-hour to set it up and get it running with all I needed. It's run flawlessly ever since, and I enjoyed "playing" with it (as opposed to trying to get it to work right) for two weeks just before my daughter took it to school.

My oldest daughter ended up replacing her Toshiba with an iMac, and she loves it. Based on my experience with the macbook, and because I couldn't stand it anymore, I replaced my PC with a 24" iMac, which I love. It works flawlessly, and I run Windows XP under boot camp for the one Windows app I need (Quicken).

I think when you get down to it, the Macs may seem to have better specs, but the differences I suspect are marginal, and specs don't do you any good when the piece of krap doesn't work! (Sorry, my therapist told me just to let it out when I feel a "PC rant" coming on.) I also suspect that a mac will last longer. I've talked to many folks who still have their five or six year old macs and they are still working. A PC has never really lasted me more than three or four years before I can't deal with it anymore.

In researching and talking to mac users before I bought my iMac, I couldn't find anybody that wanted to go back to a PC. Everybody you talk to who has a mac just laughs with you when they find out you are "one of them," and says things like "isn't it great?" "can you believe people still use that other thing?"

In short, I don't think I could ever go back. The part of my life that involves interfacing with computers is more peaceful and productive now (except when I have to use a PC at the office). And it is worth it, to me anyway, to deal with the minor inconvenience of finding the mac program that will do the same thing as the Windows program, or using boot camp to run the windows program I need. :)

P.S. Two months ago, I would have laughed at you if you told me I would have a mac. I was a life long PC guy, who always thought macs were for artsy fartsy types who drive old VW Beetles. :D

9. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

His story is a more detailed version of mine. I figured if I was gonna spend 2000 on a comp it might as well have a stable OS, although admittedly it was the look of the powerbook that got me interested in the first place.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Did you read the one spec that really matters. None of the PC notebooks run Mac OS X.
    Not one of them. OS X is a very, very mature system. BSD UNIX which is really what OS X is has been in constand use and development for before the 1980's

If your plan is to buy a Macbook Pro and then load Windows XP on it then just read the hardware specs but that would be a huge waste. what you are paying for is Apple's software and there is only one way to get that -- buy an Apple computer.

Also if you are looks at just the cost. The total cost is what you pay for it minus what you eventually sell it for. PCs really loose almost all of their value. Ever try to sell a used PC? Not worth the effort for most people. Macs on the other hand for whatever reason keep their value.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I loved the month or so when I decided to get a Mac and finally bought one.

I've never had an Apple product break on me. 2 iMacs, too many iPods, 1 PowerBook and never a dead pixel, a hiccup, a sneeze or a crash. It's good on this side :)

edit: yea, resale value is incredible. I can flog my Powerbook for £400-500 since it's perfect condition. That's 50% of what I paid for it 3 years ago. A higher spec laptop I bought just months before the Powerbook? Worthless.

12. 22Hz macrumors member

I just bought a Macbook sunday. It is certainly the best computer I have ever used. I turned it on and within 5 minutes I was using it to do what I want. Everything just works, as cliche as that sounds. Plus, it's gorgeous. More than likely you won't be disappointed. Though I am trying to keep the Mac population down so stick with a PC.:D

13. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

As for the price. It really depends on what direction you are looking.
    You are taking a PC Spec that you like and you find and Apple that maches that Spec and you see that it is a differents of hundreds or thousands. But if you find the Mac that you Like and then go to say Dell and create a System that matches all the specs including form factor, and all the little things you personally don't find to important. You will see that they are either the same price or +/- $100.

You are not getting ripped off by Apple persay. Apple has a small selection of Computer Systems vs. Dell, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba which has a large selection. So in short finding a PC that fits your specs perfectly with everything you do need and nothing you don't is more possible with a PC and that is where their value is from. But with Apple they tend to give you the Plus features with their system so you will get I didn't think this was important to me but now that I use it, it is. An example for me was the Mag Safe Power Adapter. When I first saw it, I though it was kinda cool, But after using it seeing how easy it is to plug in my laptop even in the dark, and the number of times it popped out because of strain made me realize that at this point I may have needed a new power adapter or worse damaged my computer.

Some of the advantages are in OS X and not nessarly in the hardware.
    First there is the tight integration with the hardware It knows what you are running and it runs well. Many PCs if you get the cheap parts Windows may not reconize it or the driver may not work 100% as advertised. Even with bootcamp because Apple know what hardware they offer boot camp does a great job of having your Windows section of your mac run just as smooth as the Mac itself does.

Security. I am not saying Macs are perfect in security but they are better then windows. You can click that questionable link on the web site to see what it is about, without getting killed with spyware. You don't need a virus scanner running in the background slowing your computer down to keep it safe from viruses. I am not saying to go use it without imunity to all evils in the world but at least it is like waring a bullet proof vest. You are much safer with it then without it.

Flexability. Being able to run Windows, Mac OS X, Linux Backward compatibilty to PowerPC OS X. Unix underpinnings (actually the next version is officially classified as Unix) Means you can run 99% of all the software available out there. A PC will only make it at around 90%-95%

Smart Updates. I install a Mac I get one Big Update and it is done and upto date. With windows you need to do upates 3 or 4 times before you got everything.

Smart Design, These are things that are not really on the spec sheet. Thoughout location of ports placed where they don't effect the appearence much and is also useful to use. Smart Keyboard layout. Display bends at useful angles. Plugs are in good spots. Most of the the designs are Metal not plastic and the ones that are plactic are good strong plastic. But metal can take a beating and keep on ticking while plastic cracks and breaks much easier. You are better off with a dent then broken case. Also it disipates heat better.

Cool factor. I have seen people get ultra high spec laptops with everything but with both of us stitting at the table a random person will stop in and say to me nice laptop. The other guys Laptop will be ignored because it seems like a normal laptop. Sure it is not a major issue but it sure feels nice that someone complents you on you purchasing decision.

The ability to think Cross platform. You learn that solving problems on a Mac is differnet then on the PC. Vice versa it makes you more flexible to solving other problems. This will happen if you use Linux too. But still every OS does different things better or differently so learning the differences allow you to grow.