Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacfilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I want to buy a macbook pro, shot a documentary in HDV and need hardware/software to edit with (i'll bundle FCE). I started looking a month ago and read these rumblings of a new release, so I waited. Now that the new MBP is out, could you give me your opinion on a couple of questions?

-How big a difference will I see with 2.5 vs 2.6 processor? "Only" another $250 sounds relatively cheap, but not in the context of already forking out $3300+...
-Should I go with the 7200rpm 200GB drive for best performance with HDV?
-Stay away from the glossy screen?
-What does the "high-res" screen get me? I shot my stuff in 1080i, but do have an extra 19" lcd monitor.
-I'll bump up RAM myself if I find it necessary later.

Thanks for any advice/input you can provide!

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I'd say get the 7200 RPM Drive, but you'll obviously need external drives too. Don't bother to bump the processor, it's not worth it. Definitely get the high res screen. That'll let you view 1080 without scaling down. Your 19 lcd probably isn't high res enough for that.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Actually you're probably fine with the 2.4GHz processor if you want to save a bit more cash. I'd spend the extra money on some serious external hard drive (see below).

Go for the 7200rpm drive, but 200GB will get used up quickly if you're filming a lot of HD stuff. Your performance should be even faster if you invest in a good big fast extrernal FW800 or eSATA drive for your projects.

Yeah, stay away from glossy for pro work.

Hi-res screen... the specs are on the :apple: website. It tells you exactly what you get. You also get the LED screen (brighter and longer battery life).

And yes, bump to 4GB thru a 3rd party.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Actually you're probably fine with the 2.4GHz processor if you want to save a bit more cash. I'd spend the extra money on some serious external hard drive (see below).

Well, he can't get the 2.4 if he's getting the 17". Plus the 2.4GHz one only has 3MB L2 cache, and with encoding and such, he might see a bigger hit.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I say get the new version and:
- Glossy/Matte doesn't matter.... pick your preference
- Stick with the 2.5 GHz chip, the price difference is not worth it
- Get the 7200rpm drive, but you can get by with the stock 250 if you need space. If you plan on cutting on the move go for the 72, but you should set your scratch disks for an external 72 either way.

- Get MORE RAM. HD footage is a RAM killer along with a space killer.
- You might even want to look into getting a desktop. Editors don't usually cut on laptops by choice, it's because the job makes them. And most prefer to cut on desktops for their cheaper price and much greater expandability. If you are forking out $3300 and you are only looking at laptops because they are cool, then look at the MacPro which would give you far greater options in video editing.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
i do see a refurb 17" on the apple store with 2.4 for $2,149.00...

That's one of the last generation models, which are still very very good. However, I notice those don't have the high res display, which, in my opinion, is a huge advantage when doing editing, especially HD.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
That's one of the last generation models, which are still very very good. However, I notice those don't have the high res display, which, in my opinion, is a huge advantage when doing editing, especially HD.

I do agree with that. I don't mind buying last gen models but if there is a feature that is missing on the machine then just get the current stuff, or find the previous gen that does have it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Once in awhile there are MBP with high res displays in the refurb section, but not very frequent.

As to OP, you probably want to get an eSATA express card and SATA raid on matter which MBP you get.

newmacfilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
how often do they update the refurb stuff? i.e. will they have a bunch of 2.4's to blow through? i'm just feeling like being a beginner i can't justify $3800 vs. $2800...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
how often do they update the refurb stuff? i.e. will they have a bunch of 2.4's to blow through? i'm just feeling like being a beginner i can't justify $3800 vs. $2800...

Usually, just having the cash is justification. When it comes to video editing/film/broadcast, (the most expensive hobby/career I have seen so far), the best machine you can get will last you a lot longer than cutting corners.

Apple will have some 2.4s to get rid of here and there. I'd say they update the list once a week at best. The hard part may be finding the HiRes display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.