Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buyers only. Are you keeping or returning your Apple Vision Pro?

• Keeping! This is what I expected or better.

Votes: 55 21.4%
  • Keeping. There are some shortcomings but I like what I see.

Votes: 80 31.1%
  • Keeping. I’m hoping to make it big on eBay in 2041.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Returning. What was Apple thinking?

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Returning. It’s a great product but I can’t justify $3,500+ for it.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Returning. I will come back once the next version reaches a price point I can live with.

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • Returning. I will come back once Apple adds some feature I want, even at the current price level.

Votes: 46 17.9%

• Total voters

Rainerm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
SF Nay area
I am keeping mine.
I did a demo on the store and afterwards picked one up I ordered before. I wanted to wait for the demo so I can cancel the order if needed.
The demo was good but I have to say having it for a few days, it is even better.
I have a light gap where the nose is. I can see the light as long as the AVP is off/dark.
As soon as the screen comes on I don’t notice this anymore. I guess I am
Too concentrated on where I look.
Same for the FOV. I can only see this dark frame around as long as the AVP is booting up and has this dark grey screen. If the screen is completely dark (of course) or when it is completely on, I do not see the frame. Fully immersive for me. It does help getting old. Lol.

Also I wear readers (should wear prescription glasses) that are 2.0. So I got the 2.0 to2.75 inserts.
When I came home I tried the AVP without anything a d what to you know, I could see pretty good. I could see my apple
Watch when I hold it up and also read emails on the iPhone wearing the AVP. Not perfect but I could read, impossible otherwise without readers.
So I started to believe that I might not need the inserts. The next day I opened the I seres box anyway and put them in. What can I say, even sharper (as one could reasonable expect). Reading the iPhone works or anything that close to the cameras.
The background is kind of what everyone is saying “blurry” but I guess that’s by design to make the artificial screens “pop” giving it dept so to speak. Would be nice if Apple would get it in focus when you look at the background.
Anyway, 4200 dollar doesn’t seem too much to me for this device. I can tell you that my first computer cost me 4 month worth of salary (yeah, I am that old, lol).
Not even counting dot printers, 5.25 floppy discs that are actually floppy. Monitors. Graphic boards, mother boards. My first hard drive was 20GB and cost a fortune. And on top of that needed a SCSI driver board.

So 4K for something that keeps me busy and entertained is a “yes” from me.

The only other headset was the meta version 2
A nice toy but I prefer something that’s more substantial and that has support from a great company and a an even better online group of people that helps out.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I haven't voted because I still have til tomorrow and have gone back and forth many times. For most of the past couple weeks I was thinking I'd return it because I wasn't thrilled with the fov and the light glare when putting a movie on.

However, the more I think about it the more I think maybe that usage just isn't what I'm going for. I find watching a movie on my TV much more relaxing and comfortable for that kind of duration. I'm also not really sold on using it for work because I wouldn't want to wear it that long anyway, and until/unless I'm able to use my Mac PLUS a second monitor (maybe the duet iPad app will help with this thought I did notice some lag when I tried duet on it), I doubt I'd use it much for work. I edit video and could see myself using it for short-term stints where I want to watch playback on a BIG screen.

The things that DID capture my imagination and kinda affect me were the immersive 180 videos Apple made on Apple+. The Rhinos one actually felt like an emotional experience to me, looking at these animals all life-size in front of me. The tightrope one was frightening and dazzling, and the Alicia Keys one was kinda cool and just was slightly startling when she turned and looked at the camera making me feel like this woman was standing right there giving me a smile. I'm on the fence about keeping it just so I can have access to this genre of video...

I also really love how it handles the panoramic photos and the spatial pics and videos of my cat do get me emotionally... lol, even though there IS the obvious thing that you can't really SHARE the experience.

I'm hoping that the time comes, and that this generation of the hardware will support, a more social use of the AVP... like if your friend across the country has one both of you could share the Cinema Mode and see representations of each other in the virtual room, and speak to each other, while watching a movie together.

Or if someone's WITH you in person with an AVP that you could go into a Share Mode where you both see the same items floating around or the same immersive situation. I think that would go a long way towards alleviating the "lonely" factor of a device like this.

I will report back when the decision is well and truly made, which means after tomorrow...

One thing I'd kind of like to do though (if I do keep it) is have someone at the Apple store measure me and confirm whether I have the right strap/light shield/etc. I think it's ok but I'd like to have it confirmed after all the reports of people getting different results from the phone scan (which I used when I ordered)... Has anyone gone to the store with their AVP and had their measurements confirmed?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Over half of respondents are keeping it?

No. Way.

Zero chance.

Folks are gaming the poll
People hate admitting when they were on the wrong side of the hype

I'm keeping mine for sure. It will get better, issues will be solved and new feature will be added.
No new device is coming out for at least 2 more years.
It does work in the dark, to watch movies:
• Eye tracking works
• tapping your fingers is detected by LiDAR. What doesn't work is tapping on object or the virtual keyboard, but that's not a critical issue.

Regarding the TV+ App, watching with full inmersion in the "Theater", behaves like a real theater, you can't watch a movie on your ceiling, the screen is in from of you. But you can adjust where you want to sit (Distance and height to the screen), so you could sit in from and recline your chair back and watch the movie as if you were in the theater. Or simple watch it in a big window on your ceiling, change your environment to the Moon if you like.

I had issues with eye tracking in the beginning, but that improved after installing the 1.1 beta.
Tracking may be slightly affected if the AVP moves out of position; correcting position has helped, also relaxing my eyes have helped. Now I consider it amazingly reliable.

Last edited:

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I'm keeping mine for sure. It will get better, issues will be solved and new feature will be added.
No new device is coming out for at least 2 more years.
It does work in the dark, to watch movies:
• Eye tracking works
• tapping your fingers is detected by LiDAR. What doesn't work is tapping on object or the virtual keyboard, but that's not a critical issue.

Regarding the TV+ App, watching with full inmersion in the "Theater", behaves like a real theater, you can't watch a movie on your ceiling, the screen is in from of you. But you can adjust where you want to sit (Distance and height to the screen), so you could sit in from and recline your chair back and watch the movie as if you were in the theater. Or simple watch it in a big window on your ceiling, change your environment to the Moon if you like.

I had issues with eye tracking in the beginning, but that improved after installing the 1.1 beta.
Tracking may be slightly affected if the AVP moves out of position; correcting position has helped, also relaxing my eyes have helped. Now I consider it amazingly reliable.
Does the glare in Theater mode bug you? Just curious because it was one of the reasons I'd been going back and forth on whether to keep it. Since it's not a deal-breaker for you, just curious if it's something you even notice or have found ways to mitigate?

Reactions: James.K.Polk

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Does the glare in Theater mode bug you? Just curious because it was one of the reasons I'd been going back and forth on whether to keep it. Since it's not a deal-breaker for you, just curious if it's something you even notice or have found ways to mitigate?
It has bothered me at times, but after a while I stopped noticing it. Tried both the thick and thin cushion... hard to say. Sometimes I get glare with my computer glasses too, so maybe I became more tolerant.
It would be nice if Apple could get rid of the glare, but as far as I know, it's a trade off of the optics needed to make the device work. Hopefully they find a way... there's always a way, leave it to the engineers.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
My return day was Saturday. Tonight my wife and I were driving to a work event at a Top Golf and she looked at me and asked how many days I had left before I had to take it back. I told her Saturday. Asked how longer before the next version came out that might be less expensive and I said probably two years. She said “Can we keep it? I’ll chip in $1,000 if we can keep it.”

I’d been leaning toward keeping it because my wife and I are DINKS (dual income, no kids) and we spend our own extra income above and beyond our shared bills plus what we add to our shared savings and investment accounts on whatever we personally want.

We have our own savings accounts, checking accounts and credit cards and whatever we spend our own money on is our own business.

However I was thinking if I kept it I’d want to order ZIESS optical inserts instead of wearing contacts every time I want to put it on. That would cost another $300 when you factor in the new light seal that Apple’s scan said I’d need for use with the lens inserts. The light seal I have now works for my wife and I both when I have contacts in. So on top of the $4,100+ that I’d already financed at 0% spread out over 12 monthly payments for the 512 GB version I was probably going to have to spend another $300 which was just enough for me to probably take it back instead of keeping it.

After she asked if we could keep it and offered to chip in $1,000 toward it that did it for me. I just paid the balance of the device off and ordered the lenses and additional light seal. If I don’t actually need the new light seal they recommended when I use the inserts then I’ll return it. If it turns out I do then we’ll have two. One her both of us if I don’t have contacts and one for me when I use the inserts.

It’s very early days and I couldn’t recommend it to friends or family due to the exorbitant price but for a geek like me who has the disposable income for it and who loves being on the leading edge of technology, understands this is a very early generation device that is in many ways a beta product and who is excited to watch VisionOS and the overall app library develop and mature over time and hopefully offer up feedback to help shape the product’s future as well as the future of some of the apps that run on it I’m pumped!

I’ll probably pick up a nice travel case or an extra battery to go along with it. The more I think about it the more I’m thinking I’ll grab both. That extra $1,000 should just about cover the inserts, new light seal, an extra battery and a n 3rd party travel case.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
My return day was Saturday. Tonight my wife and I were driving to a work event at a Top Golf and she looked at me and asked how many days I had left before I had to take it back. I told her Saturday. Asked how longer before the next version came out that might be less expensive and I said probably two years. She said “Can we keep it? I’ll chip in $1,000 if we can keep it.”

I’d been leaning toward keeping it because my wife and I are DINKS (dual income, no kids) and we spend our own extra income above and beyond our shared bills plus what we add to our shared savings and investment accounts on whatever we personally want.

We have our own savings accounts, checking accounts and credit cards and whatever we spend our own money on is our own business.

However I was thinking if I kept it I’d want to order ZIESS optical inserts instead of wearing contacts every time I want to put it on. That would cost another $300 when you factor in the new light seal that Apple’s scan said I’d need for use with the lens inserts. The light seal I have now works for my wife and I both when I have contacts in. So on top of the $4,100+ that I’d already financed at 0% spread out over 12 monthly payments for the 512 GB version I was probably going to have to spend another $300 which was just enough for me to probably take it back instead of keeping it.

After she asked if we could keep it and offered to chip in $1,000 toward it that did it for me. I just paid the balance of the device off and ordered the lenses and additional light seal. If I don’t actually need the new light seal they recommended when I use the inserts then I’ll return it. If it turns out I do then we’ll have two. One her both of us if I don’t have contacts and one for me when I use the inserts.

It’s very early days and I couldn’t recommend it to friends or family due to the exorbitant price but for a geek like me who has the disposable income for it and who loves being on the leading edge of technology, understands this is a very early generation device that is in many ways a beta product and who is excited to watch VisionOS and the overall app library develop and mature over time and hopefully offer up feedback to help shape the product’s future as well as the future of some of the apps that run on it I’m pumped!

I’ll probably pick up a nice travel case or an extra battery to go along with it. The more I think about it the more I’m thinking I’ll grab both. That extra $1,000 should just about cover the inserts, new light seal, an extra battery and a n 3rd party travel case.
Very cool. How is it sharing the VP between two people software-wise though? Will you be the main user and your wife the “guest”?

Reactions: Ghost31

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
I am a loyal and long time Apple customer and I wanted to have Vision Pro since day one.
I picked it up yesterday at an Apple store.
I can't see how this sophisticated device can make my daily use of computing and video calling any better, I want to talk to people and not an animated low quality digital persona.
REAL is REAL and much better than AR!
The whole concept of wearing this over the face device is WRONG!
I am VERY happy with my iPhone 15 ProMax and my 15" Mac Book Air.
Sorry Apple this time you disappointed me.
I’m sorry but reading this makes me think you either didn’t buy the product and just speaking or you bought it but did 0 research. Absolutely none of this needed you to buy the product to identify. That’s not what this is.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Very cool. How is it sharing the VP between two people software-wise though? Will you be the main user and your wife the “guest”?

I lucked out and we happen to both be able to use the same light seal and I can just hand her the headset and she’ll put it on, run through the quick green eye alignment check and then she can use it.

She has better control if she puts it in guest mode or uses the settings app to run through the full eye setup but without doing any of that she can move around OK enough using my settings to launch and navigate in the Apple TV+ app, the Disney+ app, the Max app and Amazon video iPad app that Amazon hasn’t blocked from the Vision Pro App Store. I also bookmarked the DirectStream TV and the Netflix websites so she can launch Safari and navigate those sites for content as well.

That’s all she really uses it for is to stream media at this point so we just happen to be lucky enough to have similar enough facial spacing that my settings work fairly well for her. She knows my passcode but isn’t interested in buying any apps or movies. I tend to be the one that buys or rents movies from the Apple Store so she’s fine with me being logged in under my Apple account. It’s actually easier for her because she hasn’t purchased any movies under her Apple ID while I’ve got over 100 of them, with a nice chunk that happen to be in 3D format we can watch already. We’re both looking forward to buying Gravity and watching the 3D version of it in the AVP this weekend.

That being said Apple really does need to add support for multiple users ASAP if they want to move more of these. A quick iris scan plus your passcode should allow it to identify who you are and load your saved settings.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Keeping. Some of the bug fixes to Beta 1.1 r2 show me how quickly they are moving to enhance the SDK and API's for dev community. Most devs (self included) really don't know how to properly program for it yet as Apple didn't do a great job of releasing a lot of information in advance, likely due to their hyper-secrecy DNA....which in this case didn't help with launch titles. Developing for gesture-driven UX is an entirely different animal than for iPad/iPhone and you've got 15 years of dev know-how on those platforms that effectively have to learn all over again for spatial computing programming. So it's my bet that by WWDC we will start seeing some really good early "killer apps" and I want to be there for that.

It was disposable income to me, a gadget. Not a must-have by any means. I love it as a new gadget and the promise of the coming soon to me is worth the limitations of the right now.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Welp, I returned it. I was very torn and went back and forth a lot and in the end I realized that at that price point, I shouldn't keep it if I'm this conflicted over it.

I voted "Couldn't justify $3500+" and at this point that's pretty much it. If it was priced at $2000 I would've kept it, but I was feeling a lot of self-pressure to justify keeping it and the things I loved about it were just too few overall and the things I did not like weren't fixable.

Things I didn't like -
FOV - I wasn't experienced with any prior VR sets so my expectations were apparently all wrong. I really didn't know that you have zero peripheral vision in VR. I started reading about that in this forum in the days before the AVP arrived and I sort of got a sinking feeling and when I put it on... yeah... it was like looking at this lovely content through binoculars and I just had a hard time buying into that as an experience worth a major premium. I could've eventually lived with it and allowed my mind to just get used to it if that was the only issue but the next one was the real dealbreaker.

GLARE - I found looking at a movie or TV in Cinema Mode or a dark immersive environment to be just not doable. As truly impressive as the illusion of a big screen and the clarity of the picture seemed to be, the swirls of lens flares that were constantly intruding made me feel like I was wearing foggy coke-bottle glasses in the theater. I decided very early on that I'd really not enjoy watching anything much longer than a few minutes on it due to that alone. Was really a deal-breaker because if I don't enjoy this use case that they're pushing as one of THE reasons to own this, then I needed to back away until they figure this out.

IT FELT LIKE WORK TO USE - So much of the experience of using it was so close to being great. The controls usually worked great for me, as did the eye tracking. But it did start to feel laborious to have to police my eyes to not do anything unintentional, and to use them like a mouse. I think there's something great here, but I found my eyes tired of the constant moving, like I was trying to draw a picture with them, lol. The worst cases were the disappearing Safari tabs.. they gotta fix that. It's just too annoying to have to "stare intently" at the gray bar to make the tabs pop up. And Control Center is a little jittery to start too. The battery wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but it did add to the sense of this device taking a lot of effort to use, as did of course the front-weightedness of the headset. I could enjoy using it for certain things, but it was definitely not relaxing so I had a hard time imagining myself slipping it on after work with a nice little cognac and chilling out.. even just the light beaming into my eyes felt kind of taxing.

PASSTHROUGH - This is mixed. It's fine for the most part, and the best part is the lack of discernible lag, but it is grainy and in anything but a bright room things get kind of weird and blurry. This was not at all a dealbreaker and I would've lived with this had the other stuff above not been as much of an issue.

Things I liked a lot -

APPLE+ IMMERSIVE VIDEO - Hands down the best thing I experienced on here were those programs, the Adventure with the tightrope woman, the cute Rhinos, and the dinosaur stuff. Really fantastic, and I came close to keeping the AVP just so I could watch new content in that format as it comes, but of course Apple hasn't told us how much is coming, or when, or how frequently... I feel like I can wait and let the library build up.

SPATIAL PHOTOS AND VIDEO - The 3D here is very very good. The resolution could be better, which made me feel like I could let it go for now, though once I get my hands on an iPhone 16 Pro this year, you bet I will shoot things spatially for either a future version of the AVP that I eventually get (or a Quest 3 if I break down and grab one of those to try out). I found looking at spatial video of my cat playing with me to be really emotional, sweet, and also a little sad and lonely because I couldn't share the viewing experience with anyone. But I know I'll be happy to have this material someday when I do have a headset I can justify the cost for.

THE GESTURING AND PINCHING - I know I said above controlling this is laborious but that's the eye stuff. The hand stuff is fantastic and will hopefully only get better and take some of the burden off our eyes from having to do so much controlled staring.

RETURNING IT
The guy who helped me was totally cool. I gave them one last chance to make it right before I pulled the trigger by explaining to him the lens flare/glare issue in case they knew of a way to fix that, and the surprising thing is he didn't really know what I was talking about. He thought it must've been light leaking INTO the headset but I made it clear that I really think it's light from the displays that's doing this, not from the outside. He measured my face and found that his results were different than my preorder results (I'd been sent a 24W and he said I should have a 22W), so he went and grabbed a 22W and a 24W to see if changing that out took care of my issue. It was difficult to test since he couldn't really replicate Cinema Mode in his demo model so the best he could do was dim the pass-through behind the "hello" and I did see a little bit of the glare, but not that much because the background wasn't fully dark. I didn't see a difference in quality between the 22 and the 24 and he suggested I probably want to return it because they want me to be totally happy, and I appreciated that. Took a little time, but went relatively smoothly in the end. The only complication is the Zeiss lenses have to be mailed back due to health privacy issues or something, so he had me call Apple Support right there in the store and arrange a shipping label to be emailed to me and I brought the Zeiss lenses back home so I can ship 'em.. lol.

THE FUTURE
I'm still interested in watching how the AVP develops. I might miss it a little bit but as of now my thinking is I'm either holding out for Gen 2 or a big price reduction. In the meantime I might break down and get a Quest 3 since it's... cough... the exact same price as JUST the AppleCare was for the AVP (holy mackerel!!), and see if I like it enough to keep until the AVP is for me.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Beats me, I wanted my wife to try it out and even in Guest mode she had to do the alignment and the dot tracking thing EVERY TIME.

She got sick of it, so kudos how this guys wife would chip in $1k lol
Mine has tried it a few times and goes through the alignment process very quick.
No complaints so far, only whoas after watching the content.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Welp, I returned it. I was very torn and went back and forth a lot and in the end I realized that at that price point, I shouldn't keep it if I'm this conflicted over it.

I voted "Couldn't justify $3500+" and at this point that's pretty much it. If it was priced at $2000 I would've kept it, but I was feeling a lot of self-pressure to justify keeping it and the things I loved about it were just too few overall and the things I did not like weren't fixable.

Things I didn't like -
FOV - I wasn't experienced with any prior VR sets so my expectations were apparently all wrong. I really didn't know that you have zero peripheral vision in VR. I started reading about that in this forum in the days before the AVP arrived and I sort of got a sinking feeling and when I put it on... yeah... it was like looking at this lovely content through binoculars and I just had a hard time buying into that as an experience worth a major premium. I could've eventually lived with it and allowed my mind to just get used to it if that was the only issue but the next one was the real dealbreaker.

GLARE - I found looking at a movie or TV in Cinema Mode or a dark immersive environment to be just not doable. As truly impressive as the illusion of a big screen and the clarity of the picture seemed to be, the swirls of lens flares that were constantly intruding made me feel like I was wearing foggy coke-bottle glasses in the theater. I decided very early on that I'd really not enjoy watching anything much longer than a few minutes on it due to that alone. Was really a deal-breaker because if I don't enjoy this use case that they're pushing as one of THE reasons to own this, then I needed to back away until they figure this out.

IT FELT LIKE WORK TO USE - So much of the experience of using it was so close to being great. The controls usually worked great for me, as did the eye tracking. But it did start to feel laborious to have to police my eyes to not do anything unintentional, and to use them like a mouse. I think there's something great here, but I found my eyes tired of the constant moving, like I was trying to draw a picture with them, lol. The worst cases were the disappearing Safari tabs.. they gotta fix that. It's just too annoying to have to "stare intently" at the gray bar to make the tabs pop up. And Control Center is a little jittery to start too. The battery wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but it did add to the sense of this device taking a lot of effort to use, as did of course the front-weightedness of the headset. I could enjoy using it for certain things, but it was definitely not relaxing so I had a hard time imagining myself slipping it on after work with a nice little cognac and chilling out.. even just the light beaming into my eyes felt kind of taxing.

PASSTHROUGH - This is mixed. It's fine for the most part, and the best part is the lack of discernible lag, but it is grainy and in anything but a bright room things get kind of weird and blurry. This was not at all a dealbreaker and I would've lived with this had the other stuff above not been as much of an issue.

Things I liked a lot -

APPLE+ IMMERSIVE VIDEO - Hands down the best thing I experienced on here were those programs, the Adventure with the tightrope woman, the cute Rhinos, and the dinosaur stuff. Really fantastic, and I came close to keeping the AVP just so I could watch new content in that format as it comes, but of course Apple hasn't told us how much is coming, or when, or how frequently... I feel like I can wait and let the library build up.

SPATIAL PHOTOS AND VIDEO - The 3D here is very very good. The resolution could be better, which made me feel like I could let it go for now, though once I get my hands on an iPhone 16 Pro this year, you bet I will shoot things spatially for either a future version of the AVP that I eventually get (or a Quest 3 if I break down and grab one of those to try out). I found looking at spatial video of my cat playing with me to be really emotional, sweet, and also a little sad and lonely because I couldn't share the viewing experience with anyone. But I know I'll be happy to have this material someday when I do have a headset I can justify the cost for.

THE GESTURING AND PINCHING - I know I said above controlling this is laborious but that's the eye stuff. The hand stuff is fantastic and will hopefully only get better and take some of the burden off our eyes from having to do so much controlled staring.

RETURNING IT
The guy who helped me was totally cool. I gave them one last chance to make it right before I pulled the trigger by explaining to him the lens flare/glare issue in case they knew of a way to fix that, and the surprising thing is he didn't really know what I was talking about. He thought it must've been light leaking INTO the headset but I made it clear that I really think it's light from the displays that's doing this, not from the outside. He measured my face and found that his results were different than my preorder results (I'd been sent a 24W and he said I should have a 22W), so he went and grabbed a 22W and a 24W to see if changing that out took care of my issue. It was difficult to test since he couldn't really replicate Cinema Mode in his demo model so the best he could do was dim the pass-through behind the "hello" and I did see a little bit of the glare, but not that much because the background wasn't fully dark. I didn't see a difference in quality between the 22 and the 24 and he suggested I probably want to return it because they want me to be totally happy, and I appreciated that. Took a little time, but went relatively smoothly in the end. The only complication is the Zeiss lenses have to be mailed back due to health privacy issues or something, so he had me call Apple Support right there in the store and arrange a shipping label to be emailed to me and I brought the Zeiss lenses back home so I can ship 'em.. lol.

THE FUTURE
I'm still interested in watching how the AVP develops. I might miss it a little bit but as of now my thinking is I'm either holding out for Gen 2 or a big price reduction. In the meantime I might break down and get a Quest 3 since it's... cough... the exact same price as JUST the AppleCare was for the AVP (holy mackerel!!), and see if I like it enough to keep until the AVP is for me.

The glare issue absolutely sucks! I‘m fortunate in that I rarely notice any kind of glare at all when watching movies. Especially in cinematic or immersive mode. Occasional I’ll notice it if I have the device in pass through mode and am watching video content on it that way but even those moments are pretty few and far between. I’m wondering if the other light seal would’ve made a difference if you were watching content either in cinematic mode or with an immersive background.

I can totally see why that would be giant deal breaker because for me, first and foremost, my AVP is an entertainment and media consumption device. I’m slowing integrating it into other areas like productivity when I use it as a virtual display for my MacBook Pro or with a keyboard and/or the magic trackpad that I purchased. I still can’t quite wrap my head around why it wouldn’t support a newer generation Bluetooth mouse or the magic mouse but hopefully they address that one soon. Either way at this point to be productive on the device I need a keyboard and trackpad and am looking forward to a better RDP app than the Jump iPad app that I’m currently using. My biggest issue with it is that when you actually make an RDP connection and are controlling a remote computer using the trackpad and keyboard sometime you’ll inadvertently move your head which the app interprets as trying to navigate within the RDP window and I want a way to shut that off and when I’m in an RDP window if I have an attached keyboard and trackpad or eventually a mouse I don’t want those head movements or eye movements to register once the actual RDP session starts and that Window has the input focus. That being said it works well enough to be usable for me but running up to my Mac and using the VPN as a virtual display then using the OpenVPN client and Microsoft RDP app on the Mac is a more productive way of doing it than firing up the OpenVPN app on the AVP and using the Jump RDP client.

Reactions: jigzaw

Performa6220CD

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2024
Here is why I am keeping it...it's magic...and it fits one particular use case perfectly that I was hoping it would...
  • ⭐Recording in Logic Pro synth parts from my Nord Stage on the other side of the room (dream come true)
  • Relaxing in bed watching Blade Runner 2049 in 3D reading about the lore of cyberpunk in the native ChatGPT app
  • Sitting in Joshua Tree listening to music and playing a game of chess after a long day hunched at my computer
  • Peacefully completing a Loona puzzle like I was a kid putting together a model airplane again
  • Feeling the presence of a rhino a foot away from me and visiting somewhere in Africa I'll likely never set foot
  • Looking at a panorama of a place I used to live immersed in a way viewing it on my MacBook can't do
  • Practicing a song from a Studio Ghibli film as a jazz arrangement on my guitar with the sheet music in front of me
  • Sharing the experience with my friends and family using guest mode and watching their joy
Thoughts
  • If you don't know what to do with it and it's not compelling then you shouldn't keep it! I had an iPad once and I tried to figure out how to integrate it into my life. It simply had too much overlap with my phablet sized iPhone and MacBook so I sold it. My wife though -- her iPad with a Magic Keyboard is her most cherished possession.
  • It's expensive but for a large part of the population of the US (1/10 maybe?) it's just not. That same group can afford the cost of one and a half to two MacBook Pros. Some people spend $100s of discretionary income a month on many things people would think are extravagant or that have become normalized (eating at restaurants for most meals vs cooking at home). People like what they like.
  • I had an Oculus Quest 2 bought on a whim and sold it. It made me motion sick, the content was expensive and unpolished in my opinion, the controllers always ran out of batteries quickly and it didn't have Mail, Notes, Files and everything else seamlessly integrated into my existing Apple ecosystem.
  • The Vision doesn't make me feel sick or disassociated after use. It does give my eyes a workout. In "meat world" I don't usually move my eyes around in this way. If it makes you sick don't keep it! If it hurts to wear don't keep it!
  • I'm not trying to sell you on it I think it's about whether it fits your needs. One solution if on the fence though...keep it for awhile, sell it at a bit of a loss and consider it a short term rental.
  • The hardware does not need major updating for some time only the infant realityOS does and it'll come fast.
  • For some people they buy a top of the line TV to watch movies. For some people they buy that same TV to experience the technology. The question? Are you watching the movie or the TV? Both are justifiable. It's been both for me.
  • I can see this being popular for people making first person content to post on YouTube and I think Apple's immersive video format to take off. Especially since the format also can play on the Quest. But they need to noise cancel the sound of your breath in the videos :p.
  • Pass through quality when moving and in low light is mediocre but so were 720p flat screen TVs when they came out. Expanding field of view and improvement of quality will be a fun experience to watch progress.
  • There is a bit of Louis CK's bit about "You're in a chair in the sky" when people complain about flying to all this
  • Just being honest -- I wanna see the next generation of adult content on this!
  • Guest mode needs to be better. Not for the last reason but I don't want all my friends and family to be able to look at my Notes app or documents in Files.
One Last Thing
  • I'm ready for a world of post-smartphone. Scrolling a phone in the presence of friends and family half paying attention can be as isolating as wearing a headset. I like the idea of turning rooms in our house into places that aren't filled with electronics and the focal points of flat screen TVs. Let the room be a room free of these things until you don't want it to be.

Last edited:

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Here is why I am keeping it...it's magic...and it fits one particular use case perfectly that I was hoping it would...
  • ⭐Recording in Logic Pro synth parts from my Nord Stage on the other side of the room (dream come true)
  • Relaxing in bed watching Blade Runner 2049 in 3D reading about the lore of cyberpunk in the native ChatGPT app
  • Sitting in Joshua Tree listening to music and playing a game of chess after a long day hunched at my computer
  • Peacefully completing a Loona puzzle like I was a kid putting together a model airplane again
  • Feeling the presence of a rhino a foot away from me and visiting somewhere in Africa I'll likely never set foot
  • Looking at a panorama of a place I used to live immersed in a way viewing it on my MacBook can't do
  • Practicing a song from a Studio Ghibli film as a jazz arrangement on my guitar with the sheet music in front of me
  • Sharing the experience with my friends and family using guest mode and watching their joy
Thoughts
  • If you don't know what to do with it and it's not compelling then you shouldn't keep it! I had an iPad once and I tried to figure out how to integrate it into my life. It simply had too much overlap with my phablet sized iPhone and MacBook so I sold it. My wife though -- her iPad with a Magic Keyboard is her most cherished possession.
  • It's expensive but for a large part of the population of the US (1/10 maybe?) it's just not. That same group can afford the cost of one and a half to two MacBook Pros. Some people spend $100s of discretionary income a month on many things people would think are extravagant or that have become normalized (eating at restaurants for most meals vs cooking at home). People like what they like.
  • I had an Oculus Quest 2 bought on a whim and sold it. It made me motion sick, the content was expensive and unpolished in my opinion, the controllers always ran out of batteries quickly and it didn't have Mail, Notes, Files and everything else seamlessly integrated into my existing Apple ecosystem.
  • The Vision doesn't make me feel sick or disassociated after use. It does give my eyes a workout. In "meat world" I don't usually move my eyes around in this way. If it makes you sick don't keep it! If it hurts to wear don't keep it!
  • I'm not trying to sell you on it I think it's about whether it fits your needs. One solution if on the fence though...keep it for awhile, sell it at a bit of a loss and consider it a short term rental.
  • The hardware does not need major updating for some time only the infant realityOS does and it'll come fast.
  • For some people they buy a top of the line TV to watch movies. For some people they buy that same TV to experience the technology. The question? Are you watching the movie or the TV? Both are justifiable. It's been both for me.
  • I can see this being popular for people making first person content to post on YouTube and I think Apple's immersive video format to take off. Especially since the format also can play on the Quest. But they need to noise cancel the sound of your breath in the videos :p.
  • Pass through quality when moving and in low light is mediocre but so were 720p flat screen TVs when they came out. Expanding field of view and improvement of quality will be a fun experience to watch progress.
  • There is a bit of Louis CK's bit about "You're in a chair in the sky" when people complain about flying to all this
  • Just being honest -- I wanna see the next generation of adult content on this!
  • Guest mode needs to be better. Not for the last reason but I don't want all my friends and family to be able to look at my Notes app or documents in Files.
One Last Thing
  • I'm ready for a world of post-smartphone. Scrolling a phone in the presence of friends and family half paying attention can be as isolating as wearing a headset. I like the idea of turning rooms in our house into places that aren't filled with electronics and the focal points of flat screen TVs. Let the room be a room free of these things until you don't want it to be.

going out to eat and drink in a city like NY often, one could easily blow through a few grand a month. Even if I see friends once a weekend it’s still over a grand a month. This is not a mass market product but neither is Prada.

Performa6220CD

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2024
I thought you could specify which apps your guests have access to?
That is an option to let them use open apps. But it's clunky and should work in the inverse way I think. College aged son comes up and asks "can I use the Vision?". "Sure!" But hold on let me put it on, close anything I don't want to share, open all the apps you're allowed to use then choose the "Allow Open Apps" option. It needs an option in settings to choose apps you want to universally exclude from all Guest sessions. Do I have anything salacious to hide? No but I don't want someone reading my conversations, looking at my before and after diet photos, emails, poking around my tax returns or creative writing.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I’m returning mine but not for the reasons people think. I’m returning mine because someone is going to give me an employee discount so I can get it for cheaper. If that wasn’t the case, i don’t think I would be returning it.

It has been a slow but pleasant experience. Since I have used VRs before and have a quest 3. I wasn’t “blown” away as other people would be for but as I continued to use it, i realized that I have been using this VR in the last two weeks more than I have ever used a quest device. I have been using quest and quest 3 for games, but that’s about it.

The way i can set up my windows in AVP that best fits me was very convenient. Watching movies, YouTube and other things was much more enjoyable on the AVP. Using the remote desktop was very good and I like to blend using both AVP apps. I didn’t have any comfort issues and I hated the dual loop band. The single loop band was way better and I didn’t have any issues with the weight (I don’t know if that is because I’m used to VRs in general).

I don’t blame any person for returning it because 3500 is 3500. That’s just a lot of money and based on supply chain, RND and the time it takes to make this, the pricing isn’t that far off imo. I kept thinking this should be around 1500 to 1800 to make. But It’s basically a super iPad for your eyes and so i felt more of it as an entertainment device. It’s got issues with lighting and tracking sometimes at night (you have to make sure the AVP can see your fingers) but I hope they actually bring out other input methods to combine with the eye tracking such as physical ones as well as some special pencil.

Overall, it’s been a slow and pleasant experience and as I’m ready to return and wait - i just keeping thinking, dang this is really nice.

Reactions: Night Spring

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I posted in another threa but wanted to share my experience here also. I returned the AVP also in 7-8 days, didn't want to wait the 14d. I never return apple products, big fan. Honestly was so impressed with what AVP demos had to offer, but after 10 mins getting the headset off was such a relief ea time, was a sign that this generation headset is frankly a chore for me to put on. As someone else said in another chat, its made my appreciation of my Ipad pro much more given how easy it is to turn on , use , turn off and still have a reasonably nice screen for movies and content.

I honestly dont mind if the headset stays at $3500, would happily pay it it the thing was just more lighter and more comfortable and easier to grab and throw on without all the pressure on my face.

I have to say the AVP did spark my interest in XR glasses. I was using the AVP most often to watch movies in a "theatre" screen view, so ended up trying the XREAL pro 2 (Which I didn't know existed prior to last week), and I am impressed. Really does give you 70-75% of that AVP theater like experience. And the lack of isolation, easy to throw on, light weight allows me to sit through an entire movie without feeling burdened down. Definitely apprecaite what the XR glasses offer in such a light frame. Easy to travel with also.

Last edited:

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Watching movies purchased on AppleTV is phenomenal in Cinema Mode. I also liked the app that allows one to look at Airports and see takeoffs and landings. I'm okay with the fit, although I think the "nose curtain" could be improved upon. And maybe it will if Apple or another company improves on the light seal. My apps look good on the AVP, which makes me happy. I have an iPad, but it's mostly used for app development. I'm thinking about selling my iPad and just using the Simulator for development, but I am definitely keeping and using the AVP.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I thought you could specify which apps your guests have access to?

Kind of. It allows you to limit the apps to just what you have open which means, you guessed it, you have to close all of your apps then open just the ones you want to give the guest access to in order to use that feature. It’s a PITA. If they just had a list of installed apps and let you check which ones you want to allow in guest mode and if it retained that setting then it would work much better. What I really want to see is multi-user support. If they have it in tvOS, which is based on iOS/iPadOS, then IMO they should be able to add it into the Vision Pro so family or others in the household can use it as well if you want them to. A quick iris scan plus your passcode should do the trick in terms of it confirming which user you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.