Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its announcement of the launch date for its Vision Pro headset earlier today, Apple revealed that the optional optical inserts will begin at $99.

apple-vision-pro-lenses.jpg

Because of the way the headset fits against the face, it does not accommodate glasses, but Apple has a solution for those who need reading or prescription lenses. Apple is partnering with ZEISS to offer optical inserts that can be customized to each person's vision requirements.

Apple will offer two versions of the ZEISS Optical Inserts at different price points. "ZEISS Optical Inserts — Readers" will be available for $99, while "ZEISS Optical Inserts — Prescription" will be available for $149. The inserts will attach to the Vision Pro lenses magnetically, allowing for precise viewing and eye tracking.

Glasses wearers will need a valid prescription to get the inserts, and not all prescriptions will be supported, so there will be some limitations that might prevent some people from using the headset.

The inserts are the only optional purchase directly for the Vision Pro headset that Apple has announced so far. The Vision Pro headset comes with a Solo Knit Band, a Dual Loop Band, a Light Seal, two Light Seal Cushions, a cover for the front of the device, a polishing cloth, battery unit, USB-C charging cable, and USB-C power adapter.

Pre-orders of the Vision Pro start on Friday, January 19 and the device goes on sale in the United States on Friday, February 2.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro ZEISS Lens Inserts to Start at $99

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
This doesn't sound bad at all, but also these are single-use lenses (unlike glasses/contacts that can be used in various activities).

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

mukiex

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
This is kind of bloody amazing. I was expecting like 4-5x this because Apple tax. I'm pretty sure bloody VR Lens Lab started out at more than $99. (it's like $59 now I think)

I'm still expecting like $199+ for me 'cause of my prescription, but this ain't half bad. I do expect there to be a massive wave of discussion as to compatibility on their next headset, though, provided this one survives.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
The thing costs $3,500. I think Apple should eat the cost for people who cannot control their eyesight.
I think they’re including most of the cost in the price of the device, but need to charge extra for prescription lenses so that users who don’t need Zeiss lenses won’t complain about not getting them.

If some people were getting Zeiss glass inserts at no extra cost, then those who didn’t need it would be online demanding a [$500] rebate [because everyone knows how expensive Zeiss lenses are for eyeglasses].

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
What?! Only readers for $99, Apple should have at least included prescription for $99 /s

(every thread on the forum at the minute complaining that Apple should have given them the next upgrade up for the price below, no matter what the cost is)

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Holy hell this is bad.
1) Does not support wearing glasses.
2) "Starting at $99" means that people with zero to a very small amount of correction might pay $99 (which undoubtedly have additional fees). For people like me with high astigmatism, the price is going to be significant on top of a device with an already significant price.

I have a Quest 3 and can make it work while wearing my glasses. For Apple's asking price they should be able to do the same. I guess they don't care as much about customers who are over 40 years old.

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
Better off still buying contact lenses and buying some 30 day contacts.

But then again you’re then buying contacts constantly vs getting the whole thing dealt with.

Can they be removed so other ppl can use it?

Reactions: Renderdog

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
This is just sad. For that device price the lenses should be included. And what does
“starts at” even means? I have astigmatism and fairly large correction, does it mean I’ll have to pay and arm and a leg on top of already pricey device?
It’s $99 for readers and $149 for prescription. That was also in the article.

It’s $50 for Quest lenses from Zenni, so this seems like an okay price for these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.