Apple/VOIP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gosabres1984, Oct 6, 2010.

1. gosabres1984 macrumors regular

Does anyone ever see Apple making an "official" Apple VOIP?

Apple likes to have there own official products without 3rd party apps. I think it would be cool if Apple gave me an option to send a text over a network or WIFI network, along with phone calls.

Maybe under the contacts alongside the FaceTime option, make a VOIP option for no signal areas?

Thoughts?

2. Ving macrumors newbie

I don't think networks operators would be too happy if Apple did create an "official" Apple VOIP app. Apple are dependent on the network operators to shift their iPhones, which is probably the main reason why there isn't a official VoIP app from Apple yet...

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes, its called FaceTime.

My sister and her friend both have the new iPod touch, and what they do (using headphones w/mic) is initiate a FaceTime call, then put the iPod touch either faced down on some surface or they will put it in their pocket, and talk (iPod socks work as well to cover the camera).

I do the same when I go out of town, using my iPhone 4, I will call my sister's iPod touch and talk for free.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Interesting... If my sister didn't think that was rude, no problem. It's a personality thing. Wouldn't bother me a bit.