Apple vs B&H

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Is there any reason why I would not want to buy a new MacBook Pro (2015) - customized with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD - from B&H Photo, versus directly from Apple?

The advantages would be that I would likely get it quicker, and I would save over $200 in sales tax.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nope! Just make sure that $200 saved goes towards buying AppleCare :)

There are updates imminent for the MBP line, but the current generation are still extremely capable machines; the 15" especially is an absolute behemoth when it comes to performance. So wait a couple of months if you can afford to wait – it may mean even more savings on the older model – but don't hesitate to buy now if you need to buy now.

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I needed a new MBP 2 months ago. Need to buy one today. A 13" Retina.

So if I get a 13" MBP w 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD (Early 2015) then it will be a brand new one and as good as anything from Apple?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, providing it doesn't say used/open box in the description!

If you're looking to BTO to that sort of configuration though, you do get much more bang-for-buck with the 15". The quad-core processor really bumps up the performance.

5. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

If it's important to you, does this customization make the computer nonreturnable?

(Bolded by me)
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp?origSearch=Returns

6. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

7. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. It'd be best to read over their entire policies and maybe to talk to them. Written is obviously what counts.

I posted because I'd read here at MR and elsewhere that their policy was less favorable than Apple's. I've also read many posts by members who were very happy with B&H.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    BTW, I missed and didn't mention/bold an item in my post#5. So sounds as if it's nonreturnable, period.

Look at the second nonreturnable... Unwrapped/opened computers and computer software

8. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

So what should I do?

The only way I would return it is if it is defective - I know what I want.

But saving $200 isn't worth it if I am putting myself at any risk somehow.

9. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I agree. Try to get some clarity from B&H.

Apple's policy is very clear.

10. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I think I will be fine. They said that I can return defective items within 30 days.

That is the only reason I would return a computer, because one I put data on it I will never service it or return it!

(This makes me more nervous than buying a car!)

Guess I am ready to buy a new MBP today...

11. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

12. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    B&H is now saying that they are out-of-stock and it is 7-14 business days before they could ship the MBP I described above. :mad: (THat could spill into mid-October before I get something!)

Looks like I should break down and buy from Apple, or is there just as much a wait time with them?

And is paying the extra $200 in sales tax worth it?

This really screws up my plans!!

13. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I checked out refurbs for your desired specs. Didn't see a 13", only a 15. :(

Go through the Apple order process for a new machine without committing to an actual order to see if they'll reveal a shipping date. See if it's worth the extra cash to you.

14. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

It's quicker by far. Crap! This screws up everything. Will have to sleep on it and decide what to do. probably will just donate $200 to the gov't.