Apple vs. WWE in brand extension

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by progx, Apr 26, 2007.

1. progx macrumors regular

progx

I was thinking about this idea. This is in terms of extending your brand beyond what it was categorized under in the beginnng.

Let's look at Apple. In the last ten years, since Jobs took the helm, we have seen Apple slowly rebuild itself from the ground up. Starting with the rebuilding of the Macintosh computer line: iMac, All-in-one, PowerBook and Power Mac (1998). We saw the end of Mac OS 9 and the beginnings of the all powerful X (2000). And in 2001, we saw Apple's first venture, since the Newton, outside of computers and into the portable media player realm. 2003 saw the opening of the iTunes Music Store; then expanding into the iTunes Store featuring: music, movies, podcasts and games today.. 100 million iPods later, it has been an all out success for Apple. Apple has been a hit in the entertainment world. Sticking their thumbs in the eyes of Creative, Sony, Phillps, and even rival Microsoft in this category. The iPhone is the new frontier, just like the first generation iPod, critics are saying it will be a flop. To quote an Asia song, "Only time will tell."

Let's look at what Vincent K. McMahon, Jr. has been doing with his father's company, the former WWWF, and formely WWF, but the WWE. In the last ten years, we saw the WWF Attitude era turn the corner on the now defunct WCW. In 2001, McMahon purchased WCW for a miserable $4 million dollars. Time Warner was dumb enough to let all that history go, but that's another story. In that same year, we saw the XFL. After its first season, the league was disbanded and a few players were picked up by the NFL. Today, the WWE is trying to venture into movies, with their name on it. So far, See No Evil was a box office flop, The Marine had minor success, now we have The Condemned. Let's hope Stone Cold can save the WWE in the movies, just as he did in wrestling. Currently, McMahon's company lacks in the wrestling company since TNA Wrestling (http://www.tnawrestling.com/) is on the rise.

What I am getting at, it seems that Apple has been charging into other fields and extending their brand with massive success. The WWE, err, Vince, wrestlers wrestle, not play football, but maybe star in movies that aren't yours.

Tell me what you think! :cool:

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I really don't think you can compare Apple's growth strategy with that of a wrestling organization.

Apple actually does research into the markets it's looking into.

3. progx thread starter macrumors regular

progx

Actually, WWE isn't a wrestling organization anymore. It's a sports entertainment organization. And besides, both Apple and the WWE have had tremendous growth in the past ten years. Not to mention diversing their brand.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

While I'm not a big believer in this comparison either, the WWE is worth over $1 Billion. Do you honestly think they don't do research before each and every move them make?

5. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

I didn't know there were any wrestling fans on the 'Rumors. (Not that I consider WWE wrestling) (TNA is starting to suck too). Have you heard of Ring of Honor, the greatest wrestling promotion in history?