Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Late May? That's a bit optimistic isn't it? I thought Apple wouldn't be jumping the gun on this.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
If Apple skips the Penryn processor for the iMacs and goes straight to the Montevina, I'd be completely shocked if it came out before the September/October time frame.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
This would render my wait for an updated Mac Mini in the next month or so pointless, as it would be pushed back to late this year. No matter, I'm picking up a Mac Mini from Ebay. I'm glad they have great resale value.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If Apple skips the Penryn processor for the iMacs and goes straight to the Montevina, I'd be completely shocked if it came out before the September/October time frame.
Montevina platform based iMacs will still use Penryn derived Core 2 Duo/Quad processors.

You guys see the limited time offer on refurbed iMacs?

999 for the base model..

Makes me wonder..that's all im saying.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...rowse&mco=44BD9AA8&node=home/specialdeals/mac
I noticed this as well but decided against making a thread about it.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I too wonder if this recent "sale" is any indication of a forthcoming update.

I don't think so. If their regular models were on sale, sure. But this just looks like they have an extra large stock of refurbs they need to offload.

But then, I have no clue. Just guessing. I just don't see a correlation between refurb prices and potential new models coming out.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008

Apple has a tendency to only update when there's actual improvements to performance. Penryn doesn't make much of a difference, but Montevina comes with a 1066 system bus which could improve performance by 10%.

As for the time frame, I think Apple will be using its exclusivity deal with Intel to get these out sooner than later in MBP's and iMacs. A june launch date gives Apple more time to hit up the soontobecollegefreshman market. As a point of reference, apple got the extreme Core Duo 2.8 ghz as well as the MBA processor before anyone else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.