Apple waiting for Montevina in late May/June to update iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by takeabyteoutta, Feb 19, 2008.

1. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

Sad news, but this is the conclusion I've come to.

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Late May? That's a bit optimistic isn't it? I thought Apple wouldn't be jumping the gun on this.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's possible but it is the conclusion that you have come up with.

Remember how long we waited for Santa Rosa based iMacs and MacBooks. Remember?

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If Apple skips the Penryn processor for the iMacs and goes straight to the Montevina, I'd be completely shocked if it came out before the September/October time frame.

6. dbam987 macrumors regular

This would render my wait for an updated Mac Mini in the next month or so pointless, as it would be pushed back to late this year. No matter, I'm picking up a Mac Mini from Ebay. I'm glad they have great resale value.

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Montevina platform based iMacs will still use Penryn derived Core 2 Duo/Quad processors.

I noticed this as well but decided against making a thread about it.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

10. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I too wonder if this recent "sale" is any indication of a forthcoming update.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't think so. If their regular models were on sale, sure. But this just looks like they have an extra large stock of refurbs they need to offload.

But then, I have no clue. Just guessing. I just don't see a correlation between refurb prices and potential new models coming out.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They had 'deals' on the Macbook Pros in the UK in November. Wonder how that turned out... :rolleyes:

13. takeabyteoutta thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple has a tendency to only update when there's actual improvements to performance. Penryn doesn't make much of a difference, but Montevina comes with a 1066 system bus which could improve performance by 10%.

As for the time frame, I think Apple will be using its exclusivity deal with Intel to get these out sooner than later in MBP's and iMacs. A june launch date gives Apple more time to hit up the soontobecollegefreshman market. As a point of reference, apple got the extreme Core Duo 2.8 ghz as well as the MBA processor before anyone else