Apple Waiting For Quads..........?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wwe2008, Sep 3, 2008.

?

Quad in New MacBook Pros?

1. Yes.

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No.

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Yes but as BTO

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  4. Yes BOTH MacBook AND MacBook Pro!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

Intel recently talked about quad core laptops, do you think that Apple are waiting for the processors? Intel said last month (August) that they would be available that month, but of course it takes a while to produce and Applr takes a while to take the new chipsets. Also as the September event looks iPod related could a event later in the month or early october bring Quad core MacBook Pros? even as a BTO option?
    What do you all think.... do the poll and also tell us your opinion.

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I just don't see how it could be anything other than BTO for now. I don't think they could put them in every model and keep the price point the same.

At least, I don't want them to do that. Then they'd have to reduce the quality of something ELSE!

3. str1f3 macrumors 68000

i doubt it. the last report that appleinsider had said that it was going to be a choice made by apple to have an ipod only event, or an ipod + mac event. it seems that they chose the former.

the most likely reason that apple is taking so long for the notebook is the supposed new chipset. also, if the glass trackpad (see roughlydrafted) rumor is true, then it would more than likely be an lcd screen with multitouch. those two things alone would be a reason for the extended wait for the macbooks.

you also have to include the fact that every single mac including the cinema displays are in need of an update. that could mitigate it's own event.

i can stand to wait another month if it is for quality assurance.

right now the quad cores being offered cost too much and use a lot of power.
    the quad cores are not ready yet.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

It would have to be a BTO option. The 2.26GHz quad-core is the same price as the 2.6GHz dual-core that is currently BTO.

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

6. BluePAZ macrumors newbie

Correction: Intel recently talked about quad core laptops, do you think that Apple is waiting for the processors?

7. kabunaru Guest

Yez, Apple iz wayteeng for te nuew prosesors is wat I hav hurd.

Theze apdayts shud bee eksyteeng.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

OK, here's the chip in question, the Core 2 Quad Q9100 SLB5G. Here's the specs, according to Intel's Processor Finder:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB5G

It's a 2.26Ghz dual-die quad core, with 6MB of L2 cache per die, and a 1066Mhz FSB.

Note the TDP: 45w. Not the 35w number that is has been thrown around the board. Also, a quick trip to Google shows it's tray pricing is $851. The tray price of the T9500, the current top-end BTO option, is $530. The chip that matches that from the Montevina-compatable lineup is the T9600, which also shares the same TDP of 35w, but is faster. 2.8Ghz (266x10.5) instead of 2.6Ghz (200x13)

In short, it will not be replacing the T9500 in the Montevina MBP. It won't even be sharing the exact same job with the T9600. It MAY show up as it's own costly BTO option, but unlikely, due to the heat and battery drain.

9. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Intel was saying 35w at IDF, so I wonder if they're hedging their bets with the 45w rating, or the chip in volume production just isn't as good as they hoped? Either way, if it is really 45w, then unless we get a new MBP form factor with better cooling, there will be no quad-core option.

Ah. I was operating under the (mistaken) assumption Apple was using the X7800, which they wouldn't because that is a 65nm chip. I'll update my notes. Thank you.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian